GetDotted Domains

At GetDotted, a 1 year .co.uk, .uk, .me.uk or .org.uk registration is now just £1.95 ex VAT.

Search Domains Now

Viewing Thread:
"Why you should vote today"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/05/05 at 07:58
Regular
"not dead"
Posts: 11,145
That is, if you're legally entitled to.

If you don't vote, then you can't really complain when promises are inevitably broken.

If you don't vote you can't swear whenever they come on the TV or radio.

If you don't vote you're saying they can do what the heck they like.

Whilst it may seem entirely futile, if you don't vote you haven't even tried to do anything about it.

This morning I figured that the Government is a little like Top Cat. They'll place a shiny coin in your hand, and tell you how great they are, but just before your fingers close around it they'll snatch it away with that little bit of string attached to it that you never noticed.

Mind you, when the choice is between a smug, lying, patronising sycophant, a man that looks like a particularly greasy sexual pervert, and a ginger, alcoholic gnone (and face facts, ginger is an issue, that's why Labour never got in under Kinnock), then I can see why you'd be tempted not to...
Sat 28/05/05 at 17:25
"Pwned. =)"
Posts: 169
Monster raving looney party! Yeah, next election lets have our first cat prime minister in power. His cabinet should be interesting. :P
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:29
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Posts: 4,884
kevstar wrote:

> Maybee I could have, but to be honest I wasn't aware that if you
> didn't vote, they won't try and get your support. I just assumed that
> if I didn't vote, they would then try and gain my support in the next
> election. There is one query I would like to ask, what if (as I did)
> I voted in the last election but not this one, would they still try
> and gain my support as I still voted for them before?


You'd certainly have more chance of having your views given credence than you would have had you never voted. However, as the number of people voting seems to fall at every election (though I seem to recall reading somewhere that turnout was up for this one), chances are the assumption will be made that you won't be voting again.
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:26
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Posts: 626
Sorry, double post.
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:24
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Posts: 626
Light wrote:
> kevstar wrote:
> The fact is though I wanted Labour to win even though I dislike Mr
> Blair, if everyone who was discontent whith them voted someone else
> then another party would be in office and thats exactly what I
> didn't
> wan't.
>
>
> So why not show up and spoil your ballot paper? That way, your name
> is shown on the electoral role as having voted, and thus a political
> party will make the effort to court your support. The reduced
> majority that they will have doubtless suffered, coupled with an
> increase in Spoiled ballots would demonstrate to the incumbent MP
> that his support is still willing to vote, but they're not happy with
> the direction currently being taken.

Maybee I could have, but to be honest I wasn't aware that if you didn't vote, they won't try and get your support. I just assumed that if I didn't vote, they would then try and gain my support in the next election. There is one query I would like to ask, what if (as I did) I voted in the last election but not this one, would they still try and gain my support as I still voted for them before?
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:10
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Posts: 6,592
kevstar wrote:
> No, I didn't vote which is enough to show my discontent, just because
> I show my discontent in a different way does not mean it won't make a
> difference, unless your Light of course, eahh.

Muuuuh. I've popped in and out of this thread on occasion and I think this is the spackiest thing I've read yet. Exactly how will not voting in the election make a difference? That's the exact polar opposite of making a difference. I can just picture you sitting in an armchair, staunchly not voting, then dusting your hands together saying "well I certainly showed them..."
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:00
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Posts: 4,884
kevstar wrote:
> The fact is though I wanted Labour to win even though I dislike Mr
> Blair, if everyone who was discontent whith them voted someone else
> then another party would be in office and thats exactly what I didn't
> wan't.


So why not show up and spoil your ballot paper? That way, your name is shown on the electoral role as having voted, and thus a political party will make the effort to court your support. The reduced majority that they will have doubtless suffered, coupled with an increase in Spoiled ballots would demonstrate to the incumbent MP that his support is still willing to vote, but they're not happy with the direction currently being taken.
Mon 16/05/05 at 10:53
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Posts: 626
The fact is though I wanted Labour to win even though I dislike Mr Blair, if everyone who was discontent whith them voted someone else then another party would be in office and thats exactly what I didn't wan't.
Mon 16/05/05 at 10:43
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Posts: 4,884
kevstar wrote:
> Light says
> Are you seriously trying to say that voting makes no difference when
> that 40% could have completely changed the parliament?
>
> Yes, I am because it's people like me who are discontent with the
> present goverment that change votes and leaders.

And if we were to assume that all of those 40% are also discontent, we can see that if they had voted for another party (even if they had, for example, split their votes equally between the Tories, the Libdems, and independent parties) then Labour would not now be in government. But they didn't. So Labour are.

The point is that you didn't change votes. By not turning up, you've guaranteed a labour victory.

> Look at it this way,
> if people didn't like the leaders running to be elected, why vote for
> them? You say pollititions don't give a dam what I think because one
> didn't vote, what about the people who voted for someone else? Will
> they not give a dam about them also because they voted for someone
> else? Doesn't exactly sound logicall to me.

Yes they will. Know why? Because if someone has made the effort to vote, then they are willing to engage in the political process. If they are wililng to do that, then they're either A: A hard core voter who will vote for their chosen political party come what may, or (and these are increasing in number) B: A floating voter who will vote for the party they feel best represents them.

Elections are won and lost on that latter group, and it is they who political parties address their campaigning to. If they can sway floating voters to their side (as Labour did in the 2 elections prior to this one), then they'll win. So with that in mind, why should they spend time trying to sway people who will make no difference to their job prospects?

> And wheres your evidence
> I asked for? Saying that it was done during the thatcher years isn't
> really evidence is it.

Let's see if I've got this right;

1. You ask for evidence
2. I give you that evidence
3. You say "I don't think that it's really evidence, but I'm going to offer no elaboration as to why I think that".

If you don't like that evidence, try to rebutt it. A simple "I don't like it" doesn't suffice.
Mon 16/05/05 at 10:24
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Posts: 626
Light says
Are you seriously trying to say that voting makes no difference when that 40% could have completely changed the parliament?

Yes, I am because it's people like me who are discontent with the present goverment that change votes and leaders. Look at it this way, if people didn't like the leaders running to be elected, why vote for them? You say pollititions don't give a dam what I think because one didn't vote, what about the people who voted for someone else? Will they not give a dam about them also because they voted for someone else? Doesn't exactly sound logicall to me. And wheres your evidence I asked for? Saying that it was done during the thatcher years isn't really evidence is it.
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:42
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Posts: 4,884
kevstar wrote:
> Light Wrote
> Precisely. Everyone on this board knows your discontentment. You're
> down as not having voted. So not one single politician will give a
> damn what you think.
>
> Says who, you? Thats your opinion and it stinks as far as I can see.

Be that as it may. You failed to vote; your opinion matters not one bit. That you don't like my opinion is hardly surprising. Thus far you've not said a single thing to indicate just why a politician would care what you think. You might like to read Blank's post; he has sufficient intellect to do what you cannot.

> Says who, you? Nice to know you speak on behalf of every pollitician
> in the Country. Is this another one of your facts is it? Perhaps your
> would like to give me some evidence of this?

Uhh...the whole of the 80's? Where Thatcher was elected and re-elected by appealing solely to the people who bothered themselves to vote, and ignoring (victimising in fact) the (largely left wing) sections of society who didn't? Not only that, but encouraging the sort of apathy present in society today by giving the impression that a vote against the Tories would make no difference.


> No, I didn't vote which is enough to show my didcontent, just because
> I show my discontent in a different way does not mean it won't make a
> difference, unless your Light of course, eahh. Just listen to what
> your saying will you, perhaps we should take a vote on it.

Well, you didn't make any difference at all I'm afraid. And as you didn't vote, no-one in power cares what you think or what difference you'd like to make. All you're doing is squealing your rage on a web-board. Forgive my presumptuousness, but I can't see the corridors of power being shaken by the poorly typed words of an angry Sun reading Veritas fan who couldn't even drag himself away from his computer screen to vote.

You may have shown your discontent by not voting. But your discontent will be ignored; why give credence to the views of someone who makes no effort to keep a politician in a job?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.