GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help!! - Computer won't switch on..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/05/05 at 09:28
Regular
"Unretired"
I need some help ASAP.

I run an Athlon 2600+ OC'ed to 2ghz and a Radeon 9800 se softmodded to pro.
I've been running this setup fine for ages, ran half life 2 on high for many hours at a time.
Last night I installed Neverwinter Nights and started playing through on high settings, then I noticed artefacts appearing.
I knew this was a sign of Graphics card overheating, but before I could turn off the pc, it cut out on it's own.
Now it won't turn on when I swich it on.

I don't see why the graphics card overheated so quick, I've played half life 2 flat out for ages and had no problem.

So I replaced the graphics card with my old GeForce FX, and still no response when I switch it on.

I thought the power supply was faulty, but everything that uses USB still gets power. (I have some setting in the Bios enabled that keeps power to usb devices, even when computer is off)

When I switch it on it is dead, no response at all from it (No hum, Bios won't even load, it seems dead).

And basically, on the hard-drive I have some important documents that I need *TODAY*... I tried placing the harddrive as a slave in an old Win98se box, then realized that it won't recognize large hard-drives or NTFS partitions.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
Thu 05/05/05 at 22:32
Regular
"Bicycle"
Malaktix wrote:
> Anyone reccomend a good PSU, that won't f*** up on me like this one,
> and has long power cables (my current PSU has short cables that don't
> really reach everything in my case)

Gotta go for the Tagan TG-U01. Quiet, loads of cables, and probably the best output (ie. very reliable and long lasting) of any on the market.

And it'll only set you back around £50 these days...
Thu 05/05/05 at 19:29
Regular
"Unretired"
Tyla wrote:
> gamesfreak wrote:
> Floppy drives are pretty much extinct nowadays.
>
> Though I still find them usefull for flashing BIOS's, Firmware etc
> etc.

It's what I'll be using the floppy drive for.
Upgrading Bios, flashing graphics cards and tinkering around with boot disks.
Thu 05/05/05 at 11:13
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Floppy drives are pretty much extinct nowadays.

Though I still find them usefull for flashing BIOS's, Firmware etc etc.
Thu 05/05/05 at 10:51
Regular
Not really that clued up on PSU's, but you could try an Enermax PSU, I heard they're pretty good.

About the floppy thing - I doubt it.

Floppy drives are pretty much extinct nowadays.
Wed 04/05/05 at 21:54
Regular
"Unretired"
Wooo!

Tried the PSU from my old computer in the broken one, and it's sorted it out.

Anyone reccomend a good PSU, that won't f*** up on me like this one, and has long power cables (my current PSU has short cables that don't really reach everything in my case)

Also are there PSU's that have two floppy drive power connectors?
I have to use one on my graphics card, so it would be nice to have my floppy drive hooked up too.
Wed 04/05/05 at 21:36
Regular
From what you have said about the PSU power cable - that might be the issue.

Your motherboard should 'beep' if it has any problems on startup, so say like if you take out your RAM then turn it on (considering it does turn on, in your case), you should get a few beeps from your system speaker.
Wed 04/05/05 at 20:30
Regular
"Unretired"
Tyla wrote:
> Malaktix wrote:
> I run an Athlon 2600+ OC'ed to 2ghz
>
> Quick question, should that be oc'd to 3Ghz? Only asking as my 2400+
> Stock TB runs at 2.08Ghz?

It's an Athlon XP Barton, should normally run at 1.92, so it's a small OC but I thought still worth mentioning.
Wed 04/05/05 at 20:28
Regular
"Unretired"
Coin wrote:
> KK.
>
> Strip down to just the mobo. Nothing else.
>
> If it works, then you can count that out.
How would I know if it works, will the computer actually power up without the main components (CPU, Ram..)?
Because currently the fans spin for a split second, indicating power, then it cuts out.

Another thing to add, the original power cable I used now doesnt seem to be working (blown fuse?) on my new replacement computer.
I've tried a new cable on the computer but it doesnt help.

> Do you have any spare CPU's
> (:D)? Try replacing it, seeing if that fixes it. Then add the GFX card

I think I've got an AMD K6 (lmfao) in my replacement computer.
Would I be able to replace it without the special thermal paste?
And there another way to test the CPU, I've never installed a processor and it looks dodgy.

What I need to know, is what are the minimum components needed on a motherboard just for it to power up? (Hell, i'd be happy just to hear it power up!)

I'm gonna try out the power supply from this backup computer in the broken one, just to rule that out as one of the possible faulty components.

I'm hoping it's the Mobo that's faulty. But I'm very strapped for cash, so I want to know exactly what needs replacing before I fork out.
Tue 03/05/05 at 17:55
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Malaktix wrote:
> I run an Athlon 2600+ OC'ed to 2ghz

Quick question, should that be oc'd to 3Ghz? Only asking as my 2400+ Stock TB runs at 2.08Ghz?

Is it worth upgrading from a 2400+ TB to a 3200+ Barton? And if so, what's the difference in speed/cache etc?

Tue 03/05/05 at 17:25
Regular
"Bicycle"
KK.

Strip down to just the mobo. Nothing else.

If it works, then you can count that out. Do you have any spare CPU's (:D)? Try replacing it, seeing if that fixes it. Then add the GFX card - though it sounds worse than that...

I'd go for teh mobo not working.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.