GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC24 - Brand New"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/05/05 at 22:20
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
It was a hard time for me, the end of Year 10. My mum and dad were always fighting, sending me up to my room away from the madness. What they didn’t realise was when they scream at the top of their voices at each other pretty much anyone within a two mile radius can hear them. I remember my dad telling me one day “it was on the ropes”. Well what the hell does that mean, dad? Can’t you tell your own son that his parents’ marriage is deteriorating? That you look at her with a look of utter detest every morning, one that’s most likely mutual? Don’t you think your son has probably got an inkling due to the glum faces, cold stares, and loud shouting preventing sleep?

My dad was, day by day, distancing himself more from my mother and me. We still talked, albeit briefly, but my mother barely showed a single emotion at this time. I’d ask her if she was planning to make dinner, “dunno”; I’d ask if she wanted me to make dinner, “dunno”. Conversation hardly extended beyond dinner, really. She had abandoned herself. My dad actually seemed quite happy. Well, I find it hard to say he was happy, but somehow he seemed…comfortable. Strange considering he was sleeping on a two-seater sofa. Then came the morning where I realised how much he’d distanced himself from us, his family, how independent he had become.

The door slammed shut downstairs, waking me, and knowing it was him I rushed to my window that looked out upon the street. Light blurred my eyes for a second, but I looked down to see the man I thought I would; yet not in the way I had expected. He was so unfamiliar, despite the fact that I’d known him my whole life. Gone was his normal walk, replaced by a strut, and a leather jacket dangling off him. Yes, a bloody leather jacket. I’d never seen him with even a shade of the style (I guess you’d call it that) that he was flaunting. Who else’s dad wears a leather jacket? Mine does, apparently.

Suddenly it became a little clearer, as he turned around across the road, and I saw the face that confirmed it was my dad. It might has well have been someone else. He looked so different, dressed to impress. Not for a job interview, to impress some bloody sl*t willing to give his love pole a tug with minimum effort going the other way. He was wearing these stylish jeans, the type you’d see the typical trendy kid at school wear. And after he always used to tell me only to wear shorts in summer. Well guess what, dad? It’s the middle of f**king June.

He was wearing jewellery, he hadn’t worn his wedding ring for a few months but suddenly there were chains on one wrist and a watch on the other. Dye had plagued his hair, no grey showing through. He’d gone from the natural bloke that used to just wear whatever was practical to some manufactured ponce. It was like watching a clothes catalogue with legs walk down the street, for me, where had he got all these brands, threads and “bling”? I can’t believe I’d ever associate the word “bling” with my dad. It was like he was a young, single go-getter all over again.

And then…just then, it occurred to me. He was young, well not really young, but young enough to know a good time. He was single, and nobody wants to be alone. For a moment I wasn’t sure what to think. I couldn’t see either one of my parents being the overriding factor in the split of paths; they both told me that neither were having affairs and it was just “stress”. This surely meant that I couldn’t be mad at my dad, though, an anger which felt justified. He was fake, for f**ks sake. I can’t believe he was fake in the fifteen years of my life that I knew him. Either way, from that moment I never looked up to him, or my mother, ever again. That sounds dramatic, but the way they both exited their relationship showed how weak they were as people.

Seeing that my dad wasn’t what he used to be hurt, though, it hurt me a lot more than seeing my mum being depressed. That’s not the person she was, but she at least seemed hurt by the experience, and I knew she’d return to her normal self. With my dad I was convinced he never would. He wasn’t the man that took me to football on Saturdays anymore. He wasn’t the man that taught me how to do algebra late on Thursday evening, just in time for the next day at school. He wasn’t the man that helped me to ride a bike, to build a go-kart, to do my paper round when I was ill. Now he was just hollow. With the dye in his hair touching up his pride, a strut in his step instilled with confidence, and a jacket concealing his past, his soul, and his heart.

You’ve got the style, dad, but you haven’t got me under your f**king hand anymore.
Sun 15/05/05 at 15:23
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Nice. I may vote for it.
Sun 15/05/05 at 10:42
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Nice. I thought it was great the way you delivered the changes of the dad and his son's reaction to them.
Sat 14/05/05 at 20:48
"period drama"
Not a fan of real-world stuff either (if you ever realised) and the first line really made my heart sink.

But the rest of it strided up to and way past redemption. It takes some quality writing skills to pull off 'normal' so well, and you did so. Nice touches.
Sat 14/05/05 at 13:48
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Just to get all the SSC's in one place - *pop*

Yeyu.
Fri 06/05/05 at 22:28
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
These kind words I thank.
Fri 06/05/05 at 19:08
Regular
"not dead"
Seemed a very 'real' piece to me, you captured the feeling of it well. It took a bit of a twist from what started as a story about the break-up (it could easily have gone to "locked in my room depressed going to commit suicide") and I enjoyed reading the changes in Dad, not just the physical changes, but the change in the son's perception.
Wed 04/05/05 at 15:30
Regular
"Laughingstock"
At first I wasn't too keen, but then I thought, maybe that's how someone young would analyze his parents divorce. So, pretty good I think, though I'm not liker of "everyday real-world" stuff.
Wed 04/05/05 at 09:49
Regular
"tokyo police club"
It's a credit to say that this could easily be written copy and pasted into some other forum as a confession about your parents relationship and you'd pull it off. Very realistic, which it seems like you were aiming for. I really quite enjoyed it.

Bravo.
Tue 03/05/05 at 17:24
Regular
I found that throughly enjoyable. Good work.
Mon 02/05/05 at 23:03
Regular
I like it. Seems like it was written from the perspective of a real person, if you know what I mean.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.