GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Importing The DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/11/04 at 20:06
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
I've heard alot of you talking about needing a step down convertor for the DS to charge. Can somebody explain how the stepdown convertor works and why I need it and where to get it?

Also is there anything else I need to know before I buy a DS? I bought a GBA SP from America and it didn't need a stepdown convertor, I just bought an english charger.

Anyway, yeah...you can see that im confused to enlighten me.
Sun 07/11/04 at 20:06
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
I've heard alot of you talking about needing a step down convertor for the DS to charge. Can somebody explain how the stepdown convertor works and why I need it and where to get it?

Also is there anything else I need to know before I buy a DS? I bought a GBA SP from America and it didn't need a stepdown convertor, I just bought an english charger.

Anyway, yeah...you can see that im confused to enlighten me.
Sun 07/11/04 at 20:19
Regular
"Balls"
OK, The step down converter allows you to safely use an american product in your UK home. The UK has a 240V electric standard plug, so if you just buy an travel plug the american product will be over-heated as it should not be used in a more than 110V plug, 110V is american standard.

So for this reason you will need a step down converter which only gives the product 110V of electric instead of our 240V. I don't know how it does it I just know it does.

You can't use a SP charger on the DS as it has been officaly announced that you cannot, and because the DS will not be reased over at the same time you cannot buy a UK charger.

I hope this is a little bit of help.
Sun 07/11/04 at 20:53
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Thanks mate, do you know how much Stepdown convertors cost?
Sun 07/11/04 at 20:58
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Yes, we all do.

So does Google- funny that.
Sun 07/11/04 at 21:00
Regular
"Balls"
Well I have been talking to JC941, and he's in the same boat as us. We looked around the net and decided to buy a 100W UK to USA Voltage Convertor from http://www.maplins.co.uk/ [URL]http://www.maplins.co.uk/[/URL] sorry i couldnt post a direct link to the item but the site doesn't work like that for some reason.

We have decided to buy the one that costs £20 as we don't want a cheap on as we have heard bad storys of people being cheap.

We choose that one as we looked on the FAQ page and it said this:

"Q: Will This product allow me to use a US playstation in the UK? Specs: Power Requirements: 120V AC, 60 Hz Power Consumption: 79W (Gavin: 27/10/2004 11:54:32 )
A: yes"

So if it could run a PS2 It could run a DS charger.

They will not have stock untill Friday so i will be ordering then.
Sun 07/11/04 at 22:25
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Morbo wrote:

> They will not have stock untill Friday so i will be ordering then.

I hope they're right about that.
Mon 08/11/04 at 14:17
Regular
"hit the road jack"
It still says '7 days'

Like it did 3 days ago. Muppets.
Mon 08/11/04 at 20:59
"Hi"
It has been announced that the charger will work, I go to far more popular and proper sites than this and they all say that it will because the DS has the same charger port as the SP did and with the SP charger giving the same output voltage no matter what country it's in it will work. Also Nintendo confirmed it.
Mon 08/11/04 at 21:21
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Can anyone else confirm this possibly proove it?

I dont want to order a DS finding out that this guy was wrong.
Mon 08/11/04 at 21:49
Regular
Basically, the SP and the DS have the same input.
This input can be fed by an American adaptor, for US power supplies, or a UK one for UK power supplies.

So theoretically, a UK SP adaptor should work fine for the DS.

I think. :-)

Half of this is guess work! :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.