GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ram"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/04/05 at 14:55
Regular
"wow"
what does the speed of ram mean/depend on, for example i want to buy 512 ram, i have a 2.2 GHz processor, and already have 512 ram, what speed of ram do it get? does it depend on my processor or motherboard or just higher speed ram is better. I mostly know about software and very little about hardware. Help please.
Sun 01/05/05 at 15:10
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Trust me, get the faster PC3200 ram, I think it’s about £2 more or something silly like that, and you can sell it of for a higher price when you upgrade.
Sat 30/04/05 at 21:21
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You need PC2700 RAM.
Sat 30/04/05 at 20:21
Regular
"wow"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> The processor speed and the memory speed are two different things. You
> might have a 2.2 GHz processor with 100 MHz memory, or 133 MHz memory,
> or 166 MHz memory or even 200 MHz memory. Now the processor speed
> would all be the same, but with faster memory the processor can get
> data to it faster, thus making the entire system faster all round.
> Higher is better.
>
> There is another type of speed associated with memory, the latency.
> That figure is given as CAS 2 or 2.5 or 3 normally. That refers to
> how long it takes the memory to react to a command basically. Lower
> is better for latencies.
>
> Knowing that you have a 2.2 GHz processor doesn't really help me tell
> you what speed of RAM you need. It could be an Intel processor, or an
> AMD processor. It could be running at 100 MHz, 133 MHz, 166 MHz or
> 200 MHz. What to do is [URL]http://www.cpuid.org/index.php[/URL] and
> download CPU-Z. Extract it and run it. Tell me the FSB speed and bus
> speed, you'll find them in the bottom left corner, then I can tell
> you what RAM you need.

ok the fsb speed is 166.5 mhz
the bus speed is 333.1 mhz
Sat 30/04/05 at 18:18
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Might well be a AMD 3200+, they run at a stock 2.2ghz. If that’s the case you need PC3200/200mhz DDR ram. If you are into over clocking you could spend a little more and get faster ram, this will give you more head space for the processor as the memory won't be restricting it.
Sat 30/04/05 at 16:11
"I love yo... lamp."
The processor speed and the memory speed are two different things. You might have a 2.2 GHz processor with 100 MHz memory, or 133 MHz memory, or 166 MHz memory or even 200 MHz memory. Now the processor speed would all be the same, but with faster memory the processor can get data to it faster, thus making the entire system faster all round. Higher is better.

There is another type of speed associated with memory, the latency. That figure is given as CAS 2 or 2.5 or 3 normally. That refers to how long it takes the memory to react to a command basically. Lower is better for latencies.

Knowing that you have a 2.2 GHz processor doesn't really help me tell you what speed of RAM you need. It could be an Intel processor, or an AMD processor. It could be running at 100 MHz, 133 MHz, 166 MHz or 200 MHz. What to do is [URL]http://www.cpuid.org/index.php[/URL] and download CPU-Z. Extract it and run it. Tell me the FSB speed and bus speed, you'll find them in the bottom left corner, then I can tell you what RAM you need.
Sat 30/04/05 at 15:46
Regular
"wow"
Memorandum! wrote:
> it depends on what type of RAM your motherboard supports, and the bus
> speed of the CPU/existing RAM.

how do you find out that?
Sat 30/04/05 at 15:28
Regular
"bot"
it depends on what type of RAM your motherboard supports, and the bus speed of the CPU/existing RAM.
Sat 30/04/05 at 14:55
Regular
"wow"
what does the speed of ram mean/depend on, for example i want to buy 512 ram, i have a 2.2 GHz processor, and already have 512 ram, what speed of ram do it get? does it depend on my processor or motherboard or just higher speed ram is better. I mostly know about software and very little about hardware. Help please.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.