GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's Almost Here!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/05/01 at 13:35
Regular
It’s Almost Here

With just under a month until the UK release of the Game Boy Advance, June 22,people will start asking themselves “Should I spend my well earned money on this?” You see all the pictures of the GBA and think, “That looks different” and see that oh so wonderful range of colours, described as: Arctic (White), Indigo (Purple) and Glacier (Transparent purple), you may be a bit put off. But if you surf the net and look in magazines and take a look at the games then you will have no doubts about buying it, unless you get an allowance that makes the minimum wage look like a million then it’s a choice that will be hard to make. But is you have decided to buy it then you’re in for a great time.
The Game Boy Advance is a great improvement on the Game Boy Colour. It’s an amazing 16 times more powerful than the GBC. The screen in 50% larger, making the graphics look large and crisper. It has a four player link cable, allowing a greater multi-player experience. It has two shoulder buttons, for extra gameplay options, and an infra red capabilities, much like the GBC. It has Internet capabilities, the first handheld console to be able at that. It only weighs 140g, that’s 0.14 of a Kg. The cartridges are more small and compact than the GBC’s and can hold much more information. Also, one of the best features on the GBA, it has something called Rotating effects so you can play Mario Kart style racing games. There are also a wide range of games that have been announced:

(RELEASE GAME) F-Zero Maximum Velocity: a fast paced racing game keeping the foundations of the series in place with loads of tracks and different vehicles. There is a four player option allowing you to race against you mates on those long car journeys, you can even play four player with only one game but your restricted to one track and all the vehicles are the same, and the graphics to brilliant, something that disappointed us in the N64 version.

(RELEASE GAME) Super Marion Advance: Yes! A new Mario game. Or an old one depending on whether you had a SNES or not. The game features two of the SNES classics, and who says that’s bad. Mario Bros. Deluxe was a conversion of the originals and it was still a brilliant game. It also has a four-player battle option, which will be a laugh.

(RELEASE GAME) Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2: Yes. Who says that the Japanese are better off? This wasn’t one of their release games and it is probably one of the best. The graphics make it look 3D and it looks almost real. There are 12 characters that you can play as and loads of arenas you can skate around. I’m definitely going to get this one.

(RELEASE GAME) GT Advance: A great looking racer in which you can drive 40 different cars over a massive 32 courses. That should pass the hours. Also you can have four player races.

(RELEASE GAME) Castlevania Circle of the Moon: The newest addition to the series, in colourful 2D, sees you hunting down Dacula once more. With two playable characters, loads of enemies and weapons to slay them with this should be a very good game.

(RELEASE GAME) Konami Krazy Racers: A racing game ,obviously, starring such Konami characters as Goemon, from Mystical Ninja on the N64, and even Dracula, from Castlevania, makes an appearance along with a handful of fresh new characters.

These are just the release games. There are still tones of other games lined up. My favourites being:

Mario Kart Advance: Features all the classic power ups from the N64 version and tones of new tracks along with all our favourite Nintendo Characters. The amazing multi-play of the N64 version on you hand held console.

Diddy Kong Pilot: Similar to Mario Kart but in planes and good old Rareware graphics. Colourful trees and characters and a whole load of weapons and boosts.

Banjo Kazooie Grunty’s Revenge: The third instalment of the series starting off from the end of the first game. The story continues as if Grunty's sisters never saved he and all was left to that green person to save her. The evil witch returns in robot form. This platformer, with a similar view point as seen in Zelda Link’s Awakening, looks very, very impressive. It is rumoured to be a release game but no one is sure yet.

Other games include: Army Men Advance, Iridion 3D, Rayman Advance, Earthworm Jim, Pitfall Mayan Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble, Fire Pro Wrestling, Lego Bionicle, Game Boy Music, Game Boy Wars, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Golden Sun, Napoleon, Golf Master, Tetris Worlds, Street Fighter 2, Final Fight, Chu Chu Rocket, Dark Arena, F-14 Tomcat and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Along with loads of brilliant games there are a load of brilliant accessories. There is a mobile adapter for surfing the net, a fore way link cable, a card reader and a mains adapter to save you money. So when you next ask your self “Shall I get a GBA?” you’ll know the answer. Remember JUNE 22. If you want to find more stuff on the GBA don’t bother going to www.gameboyadvance.com because they don’t have much there. It’s best to go to www.nintendo.com, www.rareware.com or www.gamespot.com.
Tue 09/04/02 at 14:44
this is the oldest topic left
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:19
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
I think that walking about an airport with Mario screaming out of your GBA would be a bit embarasing. I would prefer it if you got to see more of the GBA games in the adverts rather than some silly idea.
Wed 06/06/01 at 17:22
Regular
"gsybe you!"
They need to improve on that advertising.
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:14
Regular
I've only seen the x-ray one and the GBA does look really cool. Hope nintendo make some cool adverts for the Gamecube an all when it comes around.
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:06
Regular
"Whatever!"
Yep seen them both - First time I saw F-Zero moving aswell - Looks fantastic!!
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:53
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Have you seen any of the adverts for the GBA. I saw one when I went to the cinema. This guy was playng on his GBA in the toilet room. Another one was this guy at an airport at one of those x-ray things. And because he didn't want to stop playing on his GBA he went through the x-ray machine. Wiered huh. At least it has a point unlike the disturbing PS2 adverts.
Sat 02/06/01 at 22:36
It'll remain big anyways if they bring some decent games out. It's beaten other consoles over the years anyway. Can you imagine what would have happened now if Game Gear had been successful? What do you actually think might be around now if that was true?
Sat 02/06/01 at 17:53
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
It's good that there is such a wide range of variety for the Game Boy Advance. There's a game for every one and even a chance for some people to try something new.
Fri 01/06/01 at 21:22
Yeah, everyone has different tastes, and lots of people love Poo Poo Socket. Sega screwed me though when I played it in their online compo last July, and I've hated it ever since. I didn't really like it much before though.
Thu 31/05/01 at 12:50
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
That's Japanese by the way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.