GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quick Internet Investigation Help Please!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/04/05 at 13:18
Regular
Hi dudes. I'm currently sitting in uni computer labs on my lunch break, in a practical (not assessed, but later coursework will draw on these findings) based around finding the identity and location of owners and users of a web site.

I've used Whois to get a company name and address for who registered the domain name, and verified those details with the Companies House website.

I've also used that info to find their servers (a comercial host) and their location.

I also have e-mail addresses, some web based and some associated with their web site. I'm not sure how to go about tracing those, other than looking for user profiles on the hotmail and yahoo sites.

I'm not sure what else I can be doing, although I'm sure there is more to find.

What can I find out using tracert? I've tried a web-based one, which just reports running into firewalls and dying. But presumably that only leads to the commercial hosting company I found anyway, right?

Also, the site seems to be mirrored on 2 servers, and hints have been dropped about how a mirrored site can be slightly different on two servers, so you need to compare each for hidden content.

Finally, how can I check for all documents in the web site? Would that be with a gopher.. thing? How do I go about finding/using one?

I appologise for my lameness, but this isn't my area of expertise. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
(And it's not just me being lazy, nobody really has a clue what to do!)
Fri 29/04/05 at 02:52
Regular
Couldn't use virtual route as I wasn't in a position to put any software onto the machine. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Fri 29/04/05 at 02:48
Regular
I had a blast with tracert, although it didn't seem to provide any new information.

Could someone explain to me what's going on with the reverse DNS search - IP no. to domain?

I tried a reverse dns on the IP for the page hosting, and it seemed to have the dns redirect on the same IP address.

I don't get why - I thought the dns redirect would have been on the server for the domain's IP, as opposed to the page's IP :^S
Thu 28/04/05 at 13:47
Sounds very sneaky.
Thu 28/04/05 at 13:45
Regular
"NULL"
Try a program called Virtual Route (I think it's called that). It shows you where each server along the trace is located.
Thu 28/04/05 at 13:18
Regular
Hi dudes. I'm currently sitting in uni computer labs on my lunch break, in a practical (not assessed, but later coursework will draw on these findings) based around finding the identity and location of owners and users of a web site.

I've used Whois to get a company name and address for who registered the domain name, and verified those details with the Companies House website.

I've also used that info to find their servers (a comercial host) and their location.

I also have e-mail addresses, some web based and some associated with their web site. I'm not sure how to go about tracing those, other than looking for user profiles on the hotmail and yahoo sites.

I'm not sure what else I can be doing, although I'm sure there is more to find.

What can I find out using tracert? I've tried a web-based one, which just reports running into firewalls and dying. But presumably that only leads to the commercial hosting company I found anyway, right?

Also, the site seems to be mirrored on 2 servers, and hints have been dropped about how a mirrored site can be slightly different on two servers, so you need to compare each for hidden content.

Finally, how can I check for all documents in the web site? Would that be with a gopher.. thing? How do I go about finding/using one?

I appologise for my lameness, but this isn't my area of expertise. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
(And it's not just me being lazy, nobody really has a clue what to do!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.