GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC23 -Instinct"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/04/05 at 23:36
Regular
"SOUP!"
Tripping over my own indignity I scuttled across a gravel forecourt, alive with the frantic dancing of searchlights. I delicately limbered around their beams unseen in my black outfit; tip to toe a collage of leather and nylon. In a catlike fashion I clawed my way up the mesh fence, thrashing wildly towards the pinnacle like an eel.

Alas, my plan fell through. Sitting as proud as tinsel on a Christmas tree laid a thick curling mass of razor wire. Spool upon glinting spool of wire tied in thick knots all around the top of the fence.

Amid my distraction my boots slipped and instinct took over. Instinct, the least logical of human autopilot reactions. Instinct can be a good thing. Instinct makes you look before walking out into a road. Instinct tells you to shield your face when something explodes in front of you. Instinct, when falling, however, tells you to grab hold of something – anything – to stop you falling.

Razorwire was my salvation. Flesh, tissue and muscle hung from the jagged chunks of wire like deflated balloons. Face first I fell, my stumps grinding deep into the gravel and my cover blown in a spectacular fashion. Pulmonary and aorta pumped and starved and I slipped into a blood-puddle coma.

So there’s my story, sorry it’s so brief. Some details can be left out when you’re writing with your mouth. I wasn’t going to write this story. My instincts told me not to bother, that nobody would like to hear it. But I’ve learnt to ignore my instincts.
Sat 30/04/05 at 11:00
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Yeah, really liked it all but the last paragraph. It wasn't wrong to include it, but I felt it was written in the wrong sort of tone, personally.

Anyway, well done.
Sat 30/04/05 at 01:28
Regular
"Catch it!"
Very good!
Sat 30/04/05 at 00:25
Regular
"SOUP!"
I just fancied adding a post-script really, I had an itch that needed to be scratched. Oh, and some sort of retrospective moral thing too.
Fri 29/04/05 at 22:19
Regular
"not dead"
I enjoyed this. top descriptive writing. Not so sure about the last paragraph though, I didn't think it was necessary, seemed to be like an excuse for writing a short piece, which I thought there was nothing wrong with whatsoever.

Then again, the point about learning to ignore the instincts, I liked that...
Fri 29/04/05 at 10:45
Regular
"Laughingstock"
For a very short one its a good one.
Thu 28/04/05 at 19:18
Regular
"communist"
The Great Escape as written by Shakespeare? Nice, but odd.
Thu 28/04/05 at 15:43
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
'Tis nice and simple, the kind of story we should have more of, in my opinion.
Thu 28/04/05 at 13:44
Regular
"SOUP!"
Not really much personal experience in it, I mashed my head up, not my hands and there was no razorwire. So basically it's nothing to do with my life... at all. But still, thanks.
Thu 28/04/05 at 10:39
"period drama"
Ouch.
Drawing on personal experience, eh? The infamous fence episode.

A catlike eel?
I like it.
Wed 27/04/05 at 23:36
Regular
"SOUP!"
Tripping over my own indignity I scuttled across a gravel forecourt, alive with the frantic dancing of searchlights. I delicately limbered around their beams unseen in my black outfit; tip to toe a collage of leather and nylon. In a catlike fashion I clawed my way up the mesh fence, thrashing wildly towards the pinnacle like an eel.

Alas, my plan fell through. Sitting as proud as tinsel on a Christmas tree laid a thick curling mass of razor wire. Spool upon glinting spool of wire tied in thick knots all around the top of the fence.

Amid my distraction my boots slipped and instinct took over. Instinct, the least logical of human autopilot reactions. Instinct can be a good thing. Instinct makes you look before walking out into a road. Instinct tells you to shield your face when something explodes in front of you. Instinct, when falling, however, tells you to grab hold of something – anything – to stop you falling.

Razorwire was my salvation. Flesh, tissue and muscle hung from the jagged chunks of wire like deflated balloons. Face first I fell, my stumps grinding deep into the gravel and my cover blown in a spectacular fashion. Pulmonary and aorta pumped and starved and I slipped into a blood-puddle coma.

So there’s my story, sorry it’s so brief. Some details can be left out when you’re writing with your mouth. I wasn’t going to write this story. My instincts told me not to bother, that nobody would like to hear it. But I’ve learnt to ignore my instincts.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.