GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BETTER LATE, THEN NEVER"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/05/01 at 20:21
Regular
BETTER LATE, THEN NEVER.

Sony's next-generation home entertainment system (no longer referred to as a console) has been heavily critiscised since it's original incarnation some years ago. Throughout the design process, production, and then marketing of the PS2, faults have always been found somewhat easily. Of course there are good and bad points to each venture into the computer games industry, and for the majority of fans PS2 seemed to host an impressive system deep down, that would bring to us the best games of recent years. However, those who pledged their future to Sony soon began to question their naivity. Had they simply jumped on the bandwagon without fully understanding the system, and it's capabilities?

No-one is to say that the Playstation 2 is the super console of today's games market, as that would be fantasy. There is no substantional backing to say that the PS2 is any better than the apparent Nintendo and Microsoft releases. Yet, why is everyone so against the console? Why does everyone prey that Sony fail big time? Many will argue that the extorsionate price of the console and games has what has driven so many away from the console, and as such why Sony should rot in the bows of gaming history. But, the broader outlook would appeal so much more to every gamer on the planet. Why condemn the console? Why can we not allow it time to develop and nurture the best games we are likely to play for many years to come? No-one is forcing you to go out and buy a console, just end the continual degrading comments to the empire of Sony. As long as enough people buy the console (which they undoutbedly will) Sony will continue development, and games publishers will continue to develop new games. It's a little like leaving a wine over a period of years before it reaches it's peak. Leave the PS2 to develop slowly, and things will get better. If it fails, it's not us who will be out of pocket, but Sony.

I haven't rushed in to purchase a console as I want to wait a while, until things begin to look a little better in the consumer's interest. Games like Metal Gear Solid 2 are supposedly the ones which will bring success to the console, but what about others? Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, and indeed Sega's Crazy Taxi are all looking to be fantastic games, possibly the only games i'd consider buying a PS2 for!

Let's not kill the console until it's had a fair time to impress. Let's not have a repeat of the Dreamcast.

Better late, then never.
Sun 27/05/01 at 20:21
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
BETTER LATE, THEN NEVER.

Sony's next-generation home entertainment system (no longer referred to as a console) has been heavily critiscised since it's original incarnation some years ago. Throughout the design process, production, and then marketing of the PS2, faults have always been found somewhat easily. Of course there are good and bad points to each venture into the computer games industry, and for the majority of fans PS2 seemed to host an impressive system deep down, that would bring to us the best games of recent years. However, those who pledged their future to Sony soon began to question their naivity. Had they simply jumped on the bandwagon without fully understanding the system, and it's capabilities?

No-one is to say that the Playstation 2 is the super console of today's games market, as that would be fantasy. There is no substantional backing to say that the PS2 is any better than the apparent Nintendo and Microsoft releases. Yet, why is everyone so against the console? Why does everyone prey that Sony fail big time? Many will argue that the extorsionate price of the console and games has what has driven so many away from the console, and as such why Sony should rot in the bows of gaming history. But, the broader outlook would appeal so much more to every gamer on the planet. Why condemn the console? Why can we not allow it time to develop and nurture the best games we are likely to play for many years to come? No-one is forcing you to go out and buy a console, just end the continual degrading comments to the empire of Sony. As long as enough people buy the console (which they undoutbedly will) Sony will continue development, and games publishers will continue to develop new games. It's a little like leaving a wine over a period of years before it reaches it's peak. Leave the PS2 to develop slowly, and things will get better. If it fails, it's not us who will be out of pocket, but Sony.

I haven't rushed in to purchase a console as I want to wait a while, until things begin to look a little better in the consumer's interest. Games like Metal Gear Solid 2 are supposedly the ones which will bring success to the console, but what about others? Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, and indeed Sega's Crazy Taxi are all looking to be fantastic games, possibly the only games i'd consider buying a PS2 for!

Let's not kill the console until it's had a fair time to impress. Let's not have a repeat of the Dreamcast.

Better late, then never.
Sun 27/05/01 at 20:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hmmm, I am tempted to think this is a GAD attempt.

Good post, though, all though I don't know where you feel all this negativity towards Sony is coming from. X-box, if anything.
Sun 27/05/01 at 22:10
I have to agree with Turbonutter. The PS2 is a popular machine in SR discussions - look at the PS2 threads.

The only frustration is with the delays in games being released, but that strikes true with all machines.

It is the X-box that is getting a bit of a kicking on this site.
Sun 27/05/01 at 22:11
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I rather sooner than latter. :D
Sun 27/05/01 at 22:17
Regular
It's the N64 that's had all the negativity. And that's because it's said to be a 'kiddies console'

All true gamers, no matter what their console preferance, know that the N64's games would be too hard for kids, and the games are mostly designed for all ages.
Mon 28/05/01 at 11:21
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Although... just as a question...

How long is the PS2 being given to proove itself?

Its been nearly/about a year since its original Japanese release...

Also... why should we wait for the PS2 to prove itself? ... Sony created the machine to make money... And to deserve our hard earned cash they need to deliver real products... not vapour ware and promises that future games will be better...

Why didnt they give developers the DevKits long enough in advance for them to create a good range of launch titles?
Mon 28/05/01 at 11:59
Surely though, if Sony hang on to all the top titles that we are all aching for until the release the X-box and GC, they have a better chance of survival.

Those who were waiting for X-box's and GC's might think "actually look at what's available for the PS2, I want one of those!"
and those who were thinking "Darn that PS2 of mine, I'm going to sell it and buy an Xbox/GC when they're released!"
will think "Hang on a mo', MGS2, Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, Soul Reaver 2, Etc, etc. Why I think I shall pull out my feather duster, get my PS2 into clean good working order and spend the £500 I had saved for an XBox on all these top PS2 titles instead!"

And then those of us who had faith and made no complaints about our purchase and have enjoyed our PS2's, will think.
"Hmm, some more games that I would like to purchase/win on GAD. That's nice!"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.