GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freelance charging/pricing advice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/04/05 at 18:06
Regular
Hi there.

I remember a thread by Grix a few weeks ago about doing a website for someone, I'm currently negotiating a project with a client and am a little unsure on how much to charge him.

These are the things I plan to do

> - Build a contact form
> - Intergrate paypal into system
> - Clean up coding.
> - Improve small aspects such as META Tags etc.
> - Submit to various site directories

He has suggested $40 for this.

I think thats a little too low, but I'm not sure.

What do you think?
Fri 15/04/05 at 23:50
Regular
OK I responded with the amount.

I really doubt he'll go for it mind, I don't think hes *that* clued up about money for projects of this sort of nature, I think he think $100 per project and not p/hour.
Fri 15/04/05 at 21:17
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
gamesfreak wrote:
> I'm quite scared to be honest.
>
> I've calculated that if I charge him $40 dollars p/hour spread over 5
> days (6 hours a day), it'd come to $1200.

= £550-ish which is actually quite cheap.

I base my lowest rates on what the average salary for an employed website designer is in my area, which is £24,000pa (= about £100/day). I wont go any lower than that. (This is based on a junior designer/coder at one of the top 5 studio's in the UK)

I know how you feel about asking for the money, I've just quoted one client £6000 ($10,000) for an up coming job and he seemed quite happy with that too. Almost fell off my chair! Felt really guilty about quoting so much, but at the end of the day (and I'm always reminding myself this) it's business.
Fri 15/04/05 at 21:14
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
If you keep profestional. Then the client wont question it.
If he does, then keep profesional about it, if the client sees you are unprofesional, first they will take advantage and demand a low price, and they will less impressed by your work.

If the site is big then $1200 is about right. Considering unique templates, (thats just a design, no coding envolved) can go for about $1200, a site should be more.

EDIT: Should of read a bit better, if he suggests $40, tell him its not worth the time.
But still professionalism is the key to anything.
Fri 15/04/05 at 20:43
Regular
I'm quite scared to be honest.

I've calculated that if I charge him $40 dollars p/hour spread over 5 days (6 hours a day), it'd come to $1200.

I've never asked so much money in my life

I'm such an inexperienced freelancer :(
Fri 15/04/05 at 19:51
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
£20/hour is rock bottom for freelance. If you want to be conservative, juniors in companies only get £10-£12/hour.

Work out how long it will take you and multiply it by £10 to give yourself a good figure. FWIW, US clients don't pay as much as UK. I was recently told to avoid working for yanks as you won't make any money out of them.
Fri 15/04/05 at 18:21
Regular
"NULL"
How big is the site? I'm just thinking of the "clean up coding" part.

$40 is very low - that's only a little over £20. For freelance, I don't know about other people, but I charge £20 per hour (which from what I hear from recruitment agencies is right at the bottom of the scale). How long do you reckon it'll take you to do it?

Ultimately, the question is are you prepared to do the work for that money? If yes, do it. If no, decide how much money you want for doing it, and tell them.
Fri 15/04/05 at 18:06
Regular
Hi there.

I remember a thread by Grix a few weeks ago about doing a website for someone, I'm currently negotiating a project with a client and am a little unsure on how much to charge him.

These are the things I plan to do

> - Build a contact form
> - Intergrate paypal into system
> - Clean up coding.
> - Improve small aspects such as META Tags etc.
> - Submit to various site directories

He has suggested $40 for this.

I think thats a little too low, but I'm not sure.

What do you think?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.