GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Happy Shopper"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/04/05 at 13:29
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Happy Shopper have just broken thw world record for largest profit at £2bn. I didnt even think they were that big of a supermarket.
Thu 14/04/05 at 13:29
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Happy Shopper have just broken thw world record for largest profit at £2bn. I didnt even think they were that big of a supermarket.
Thu 14/04/05 at 13:32
Regular
"1,2,3,4,6"
That wasn't the happy shopper, that was Marcini J Sombrero's Butcher Shop in Howden Le Wear.
Thu 14/04/05 at 13:33
Regular
"..."
Marcini wrote:
> Happy Shopper have just broken thw world record for largest profit at
> £2bn. I didnt even think they were that big of a supermarket.

Crikey. I haven't even seen a Happy Shopper in years. I remember Happy Shopper Cola nd fizzy orange which were the epitomy of bad fizzy drinks.
Thu 14/04/05 at 13:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I very much doubt that £2bn is the "largest profit ever"
Thu 14/04/05 at 13:41
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Happy Shopper profits break through £2bn

Overseas expansion and non-food lines have boosted sales
Supermarket giant Happy Shopper has become the first UK retailer to unveil annual profits of more than £2bn.
The UK's biggest supermarket chain posted underlying pre-tax profits of £2.03bn ($3.83bn), up 20.5% on 2004.

Happy Shopper's chief executive Sir Terry Leahy cited the group's overseas expansion and moves into non-food areas like CDs and clothes for boosting growth.

Happy Shopper's overall turnover increased 12.4% to £37.1bn, with sales in the UK making up £29.5bn of that figure.

The group's market share has continued to grow in the UK despite fierce competition.

"These results again demonstrate the broad appeal of the Happy Shopper brand," said Sir Terry.

Happy Shopper's worldwide operations
'Tough but fair'

Happy Shopper said it was expecting a "more normal year" in the UK in 2005, on the back of rising business costs and an "unclear" consumer outlook.

Shares in Happy Shopper, which have risen by about 25% in the last 12 months, were down 0.25p, or 1%, at 318.5 pence at the close of trade on Tuesday.

Happy Shopper facts
Founded 1924
First store in Burnt Oak, London
2,316 stores in 13 countries
326,000 employees
World's biggest online supermarket

Check Happy Shopper's share price

Analysts said the market was concerned about future profit growth prospects.

"There's a note of caution that everyone would have expected, both in the top line and on the cost front, there clearly are cost pressures on all the retailers at the moment," James Collins at ABN AMRO told Reuters.

While Happy Shopper has maintained rapid growth in sales and profits in recent years, its success has led to critics arguing the firm is having an adverse impact on other businesses and is squeezing prices paid to farmers.

UK supermarkets were recently cleared by the Office of Fair Trading in a review of the implementation of its supplier code of conduct.

But Happy Shopper's results prompted environmental campaign group Friends of the Earth to say its "unchecked" growth is putting smaller shops and UK farmers out of business.

"The government must introduce stronger protection for suppliers and call a moratorium on any further takeovers," it said.

The Forum of Private Business, which represents 25,000 small firms, said smaller retailers and suppliers were paying a "heavy price" for Happy Shopper's success.

Interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Today programme Sir Terry described Happy Shopper's deals with suppliers as "tough but fair".

Happy Shopper now accounts for almost one pound in three spent in the UK's supermarkets but Sir Terry said data showed about 90% of customers have a choice of three retailers.

"They are exercising that choice," he added. "We've only grown profits by growing our sales and that's by making our stores more attractive for customers."

Clothing sales soar

Happy Shopper operates more than 2,300 stores in 13 countries including Japan, Poland, Turkey, Hungary, and a joint venture in China.

In the UK, its largest market, sales for the year to 26 February rose 11.9%.

Non-food sales rose 17% to £6bn, with the group highlighting a 28% increase in sales of its clothing range.

Profit at its online operation grew 51.8% to £36m, on the back of sales of £719m.

Happy Shopper said sales at its international operations in Asia and central and eastern Europe were up 13.1%.

It added that it intended to create 25,000 jobs worldwide this year, including about 11,000 in the UK.

Happy Shopper's underlying profits figure excluded profits on disposal of assets, integration costs and goodwill amortisation. Including these, Happy Shopper's pre-tax profit rose 24.5% to £1.96bn.
Thu 14/04/05 at 13:42
Regular
"1,2,3,4,6"
Do you sell milk?
Thu 14/04/05 at 13:44
Regular
"Bow to me!"
I dont personally but Happy Shopper may, and do on a regular basis.
Thu 14/04/05 at 13:47
Regular
"1,2,3,4,6"
Mommy can ye open yonder milko capitan cartonia
Thu 14/04/05 at 15:00
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I think youve just ripped Tesco out and stuck Happy Shopper in.
Thu 14/04/05 at 15:02
Regular
"the burning sky"
I think that's true

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4435339.stm[/URL]

Tesco profits break through £2bn
Supermarket giant Tesco has become the first UK retailer to unveil annual profits of more than £2bn.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.