GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half-Life 2 Expansion Official and possibly through Steam only"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/04/05 at 00:15
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
[URL]http://pc.ign.com/articles/602/602749p1.html?fromint=1[/URL] Good news for fans of the series but I just hope I can get Broadband by the time it's released if they don't sell it anywhere but on Steam
Tue 12/04/05 at 08:31
Regular
Chr1s wrote:

> Plus, I can't load the server list on HL2 Deathmatch or CSS and they
> don't seem to be able to tell me why.

I had that, it turned out zone alarm was the bad guy and was denying the server list to be populated, aparantly it was soo deadly to my machine. I went into the options and put all HL2 .exe to alow always and it worked fine from then on, if it doesnt just turn off ZA. that is if yu have it.
Mon 11/04/05 at 23:29
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Aside from them generally being rather lengthy, I've never had a problem with the downloads.

I'm angry with Steam because they just seem so stupid. I've had account problems on more than one occasion and they were little to no help at all.

Plus, I can't load the server list on HL2 Deathmatch or CSS and they don't seem to be able to tell me why.
Mon 11/04/05 at 23:24
Regular
I cant see how people hate Steam. Think about the number of people who download the major updates and games at the same time, think about the size of these files and the strain on the servers. What about the loads of little updates that happen without you even noticing. Its a great platform. Its helping to stop cheating with VAC, it provides the access to thousands of gaming servers, and it gave us HL2. Cant you forgive it the few times the servers are so full of requests that it cant cope?
Sun 10/04/05 at 13:59
Regular
"The definitive tag"
This already sounds doubtful. Just the mention of the word Steam and I start to get angry. They will almost certainly make a complete balls up of it, just like they do with everything else. Then when you ask for help, you get a huge email that looks like it was copied and pasted from their forums.

Steam is useless. I HATE it.
Sun 10/04/05 at 02:02
Regular
"Captain to you."
:)

There are problems for a few people but I can see other games companies going the same way if steam continues to work well.

Of course only games with huge followings will get it at first like Half Life but i imagine it's a trend that will be followed by all.
Sun 10/04/05 at 02:01
Cuts out the middleman. More money for those who actually made it. Can only be a good thing.
Sun 10/04/05 at 01:57
Regular
Yup, for me Steam is the way forward.

They summed it up in the interview, no crappy cases, fancy manauls etc, jus**t develop the game and release it for download, sod the Publishers and all the legal bull sh*t they go through to say what will happen if situation x happens blah blah blah.
Sun 10/04/05 at 01:36
Regular
"Captain to you."
I like steam i think it's a great program, sure it has it's problems but its a good idea for distribution of games and updates.

EDIT: Once you download, remember to back the game up.
Sun 10/04/05 at 00:13
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Steam has grown on me, though downloading a whole expansion pack through it might pish me of a little.
Sat 09/04/05 at 14:59
Regular
"-_-"
bloody hell, steam bites it just takes ages to download the smallest of files :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.