GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I went to Blackpool"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/04/05 at 15:45
Regular
"0228"
From Monday to Thursday I spent my time in the tacky world of Blackpool. This is our main family holiday of the year, poor I know, but the main reason of the visit was to see my 92 year old Great Granny. For a 92 year old she's pretty healthy, she lives on the third floor of a flat with no lift and she has no need for a walking stick, etc. However, for as long as I can remember, every time we've visited her or she's visited us she always manages to say "I'll be dead and buried soon, you may not be able to come up here again". At first it was worrying but after 15 years it begins to lose its effect.

Nights were spent in the Norbreck Castle hotel which at the same time was holding a convention for war widows meaning that the place had 400 pensioners there for that alone. There was also a surprisingly large number of chinese people there too.

The rooms were for disabled people meaning that the bathroom was massive but despite the size of the room, the sink was less than a foot away from the toilet. Night time entertainment included the amazing Magic Malky (a crappy clown for young children) and my little brother is one of those people that will gladly go up on stage to help out and he did so every night meaning he ended up with cheap toys and sweets.

Whilst we were there we barely did anything, most of our time was spent sitting in my Gran's flat but trying to talk to her is painful. She's half deaf meaning she says 'eh?' after everything you say and when she finally does hear she moans at you for shouting. Her next door neighbours are proper northeners (also old women) with proper northern accents. They told me I should join the navy like their grandson. I said I'd think about it.

We also went to the pleasure beach which I must have visited at least 30 times in my life but it's a good theme park because it's so different to all others due to it still having loads of traditioal rides that you won't find anywhere else in the world. But, it's April so it was only open from 1pm-5pm but the wristbands were on special offer and there were barely any queues (only ten minutes to get on the Pepsi Max Big One). However, many rides weren't open including Valhalla, the log flume (which didn't actually have any water in it), the whip, the Space Invaders 2. Also, to my surprise, the waltzers in the dark (next to the log flume) have been closed down which to me is odd considering it was one of the better rides. One other thing, Noah's Ark is the creepiest ride ever.

And that's my holiday. I should probably do all the homework I haven't done yet now.
Fri 08/04/05 at 17:07
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Paradox: wrote:

> The one thing that freaked me out was this laughing clown/jester
> thing in a glass case near the enterance of the park. It gave me
> nightmares.

"Can't sleep...Clown will eat me"

I couldn't help using a Simpsons quote.
Fri 08/04/05 at 17:07
Regular
JFH wrote:
> > I'm starting to think she'll never die.

--

What, like a zombie grandma?
Fri 08/04/05 at 16:12
Regular
"0228"
> 92 is a ripe old age, especially to say she can still walk and stuff
> ok. Go her!

I'm starting to think she'll never die. She keeps saying she will but it never happens and she's even said she wants to go. She has a bad habit of mentioning her death in front of 4 year old brother as well which is really not good.

In the past few years she's been in hospital a couple of times but she comes out fitter than ever. Her eye sight and hearing are deteriorating but she can can still read if she uses a powerful enough magnifying glass.

The problem is that I'll get to a point where a completely stop worrying about her dying and then she will go and I'll be caught off guard. People are living well past 100 years days though so she could still have another ten years ago and that would mean she'd be able to see my Grandad's (her son's) Golden Wedding anniversary.
Fri 08/04/05 at 16:06
Regular
"0228"
> The one thing that freaked me out was this laughing clown/jester
> thing in a glass case near the enterance of the park. It gave me
> nightmares.

They moved that next to the alpine race track ride.

Noah's Ark is creepy though because nobody ever goes in so your alone in there and it hasn't had any maintenance work done on it since the sixties so it just looks wrong with all the rotting wood and bad paint job and wax models that really need to be repaired.
Fri 08/04/05 at 16:02
Regular
"0228"
That's nothing, some Coronation Street characters are going to be at Coral Island on Sunday.
Fri 08/04/05 at 16:02
Regular
"SOUP!"
We went on family holidays to Blackpool when I was younger and absolutely loved it.

The one thing that freaked me out was this laughing clown/jester thing in a glass case near the enterance of the park. It gave me nightmares.

My favourite rides gotta be the Iron-bru loop thing, thats awesome. Was never tall enough to go on the Pepsi Max I don't think, because I was only fairly young when I went.

But yeah, the town itself is a scummy place, quite an honest reflection of the North of Britain as a whole, really.

and I've shared your pain in seeing a relative 'fade' as it were. My Nana (Northern word for Grandma, dunno if you southerners use it) was in a home and was more-or-less terminal and she one day said to me, "I wish they'd let me die", it kinda sucked putting that pressure on my young mind, but I totally empathised. Shortly after that she died, I felt kind of happy in a way because I knew she hated living in a care home. I think I'd hate it too to be honest.

92 is a ripe old age, especially to say she can still walk and stuff ok. Go her!
Fri 08/04/05 at 15:59
Regular
You should have stayed for the weekend. There's a big Radio 1 trip.
Fri 08/04/05 at 15:45
Regular
"0228"
From Monday to Thursday I spent my time in the tacky world of Blackpool. This is our main family holiday of the year, poor I know, but the main reason of the visit was to see my 92 year old Great Granny. For a 92 year old she's pretty healthy, she lives on the third floor of a flat with no lift and she has no need for a walking stick, etc. However, for as long as I can remember, every time we've visited her or she's visited us she always manages to say "I'll be dead and buried soon, you may not be able to come up here again". At first it was worrying but after 15 years it begins to lose its effect.

Nights were spent in the Norbreck Castle hotel which at the same time was holding a convention for war widows meaning that the place had 400 pensioners there for that alone. There was also a surprisingly large number of chinese people there too.

The rooms were for disabled people meaning that the bathroom was massive but despite the size of the room, the sink was less than a foot away from the toilet. Night time entertainment included the amazing Magic Malky (a crappy clown for young children) and my little brother is one of those people that will gladly go up on stage to help out and he did so every night meaning he ended up with cheap toys and sweets.

Whilst we were there we barely did anything, most of our time was spent sitting in my Gran's flat but trying to talk to her is painful. She's half deaf meaning she says 'eh?' after everything you say and when she finally does hear she moans at you for shouting. Her next door neighbours are proper northeners (also old women) with proper northern accents. They told me I should join the navy like their grandson. I said I'd think about it.

We also went to the pleasure beach which I must have visited at least 30 times in my life but it's a good theme park because it's so different to all others due to it still having loads of traditioal rides that you won't find anywhere else in the world. But, it's April so it was only open from 1pm-5pm but the wristbands were on special offer and there were barely any queues (only ten minutes to get on the Pepsi Max Big One). However, many rides weren't open including Valhalla, the log flume (which didn't actually have any water in it), the whip, the Space Invaders 2. Also, to my surprise, the waltzers in the dark (next to the log flume) have been closed down which to me is odd considering it was one of the better rides. One other thing, Noah's Ark is the creepiest ride ever.

And that's my holiday. I should probably do all the homework I haven't done yet now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.