GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Make downloads open in new window"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/12/06 at 11:09
Regular
"just asking"
Hi everyone,

please can anyone tell me when I hyperlink to a file to download, how do I get the download to open in a new window? I am still using Microsoft Publisher..

Thank you
Wed 27/12/06 at 09:44
Regular
"just asking"
Hi everyone,

Ooohhh yesssss!.....what a top team you all are :o)

Kev, thanks for the bit on notepad, I am in the process of starting to use front page (on my way to Dream weaver) and that is a worthwhile tip.

Bob, I think the part in your message "is there a way you can get away from the WYSIWIG interface and get a full HTML view up?" was the saving grace. I had been pasting the code in as a hyperlink in Publisher and what actually works is.....

Insert / HTML Code - then paste the code in here and it works.

All the other stuff a%20href like this was being added by Publisher.

Thank you all once again for your patience, I hope others learn from this and it is worth noting I keep a book with codes in (and one on the pc to copy and paste) for reference. Needless to say this code is in place now. The benefits of this forum....

Thank you & a happy successful new year to you all.

Simon

"I aspire to be able to post some advice here at some point"

P.S Case now closed.
Sun 24/12/06 at 13:43
Regular
These erounious (big word) symbols appear if I copy and paste directly in Frontpage 2003, I found that out the hard way and coulds would not work. Now if I am copying and pasting I open the file in notepad and paste and it works every time, hope that helps.

Kev
Sun 24/12/06 at 12:06
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
There is something really really odd going on there.
All that a%20href stuff should not be appearing in the URL.
%20 means a space and presumably %22 means a quotation symbol, ".

If that's what the target of the link is when you open it in a web browser, then it seems that your page creation software is adding your HTML code in as the link target rather than, er, well anything sensible.

What are you using to edit this... MS Publisher? I've never used that but is there a way you can get away from the WYSIWIG interface and get a full HTML view up? I know it looks scary but if you could just copy and paste the HTML code for your link straight into that then it should work
Sun 24/12/06 at 08:43
Regular
"just asking"
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I noticed the capital on the downloads folder but it is downloads in lower case.

Right, the syntax is:

http://www.mywebsite.com/Miami/a%20href=%

22http:/www.mywebsite.com/ (S) downloads/audio_book.xls (S)%22%

20target=%22_blank (S) %22%3eClick%20here%3c/a

(S)being space for the Freeola 60 character rule.

Please appreciate this is a friends website.
Thanks again for all the help on this so far.

Merry Christmas to you all :o)
Sat 23/12/06 at 15:55
"Are you sure?"
It's probably easiest if you can give the web address so that we can take a look at the code.

If you don't want to do that, then paste the address of the 404 page here (remove your site name if required) but leave the syntax of the address unchanged.

The directories and file names are all case sensitive. Earlier you said the directory was Downloads, I see your latest code has downloads...
Sat 23/12/06 at 15:51
Regular
"just asking"
Well chaps,

I have tried and better tried on this.

The link on the web page works fine. When I add this code

Click here

I get the "Page not found" Error 404.

Have I got this wrong or is the code wrong?
Wed 20/12/06 at 19:53
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.. but if you get page not found, it means your link is pointing to the wrong place.

Where it points to is given by the part right after href=
Tue 19/12/06 at 19:28
Regular
"just asking"
Hi everyone,

well, after trying this I get the Freeola "page can not be found". Is this code supposed to be the hyperlink?
Mon 18/12/06 at 22:07
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Uh, well, I'm not sure you typed that right since it looks kind of weird but you want something like:
Click here
Where your HTML page with that link on it is in the directory above (ie containing) downloads.

OR, you could specify the full path like so:
Click here
Mon 18/12/06 at 21:18
Regular
"just asking"
Hi, thanks for everyone's help so far. I am being a bit thick I think.
Please can you tell me if this is correct:
CLICK HERE

Thanks again everyone.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.