GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Versus Nintendo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/11/04 at 13:17
Regular
Those who know me think of me as a Nintendo fanboy. I admit that to some degree I probably am. I have figurines, CDs, T-shirts not to mention most of the consoles with a nice collection of games to go with them. However, since November 2002, when I bought my Xbox, Microsoft Game Studios and their creations have slowly grown on me. Jet Set Radio Future got me playing the Xbox followed by my purchase of Halo which got me and my brother battling aliens on the ring-world. Since then, my GameCube and Xbox have been competing against each other in my room. The games competing for shelf space like they would in a shop, and so far the GameCube is winning.

However, since Thursday I have found myself in a bit of a dilemma. Arrived by the power of Gameaday was my limited edition copy of Halo 2. And by the power of Special Reserve Pre-order, arrived my copy of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Two games arriving at exactly the same time, both fairly different but longed for by myself equally. With tiredness quickly taking over my already fatigued mind from a long day at work, I had to make a choice: Halo 2 or Paper Mario?

After much umming, arrring and even erring, I finally decided which game was to take priority on night one. I put the game in the console, powered up my TV, Logic 3 Soundstation 3 2.1 speaker system and my hi-fi and waited for the game to start loading. That single moment seemed like an eternity. The hype machine had failed to grasp me like it had others but I was still clearly excited at the prospect of finally getting the chance to play this game. Suddenly, the Bungie logo appeared on screen with an electric guitar addition to the Halo theme! It was only a small change, but it was enough for me to think “Yes!” like I was in a Clairol Herbal Essences advert.

Feeling guilty for less than a second about not playing Nintendo’s game first, I soldiered on and started playing Halo 2 properly. At first, I became critical of the cutscene graphics. Textures seemed to just appear as the camera got to a certain radius of a three dimensional object, such as skin texture, clothing, etc. But I quickly shook the criticism off and waited for the gameplay which was superb. Classic Halo action with a modified game engine, more weapons and better AI. I played on and on feeling the tiredness overwhelm me and decided to put down the controller and give Paper Mario 2 a quick go.

I felt rather let down initially, only having the will to reach the first save point. It looked fun and stuff, but wasn’t able to keep me playing like Halo 2 was. After saving, I decided to turn off my GameCube and go to bed. Had to have some sleep before work the next day.

When I got home yesterday, the first thing I did was to play Halo 2. I was incredibly surprised to find myself playing as a Covenant Elite. Not just any Elite, but the commander of the mission to activate the original Halo! Using cloaking abilities and the likes I killed many other Covenant creatures who considered me an embarrassment. A failure to the cause. And even heard my character shout, “Come out so I may kill you!” I couldn’t stop laughing when I first heard that, and so I played and played and played just to see what would happen next.

I did decide to play Paper Mario some more last night too. I spent a lot more time on it and did find it quite amusing. It is a game that will grow on me. Like all RPGs it starts off a little slow and monotonous, but it did turn out to be much more enjoyable than my first impression from the night before.

As it stands, Halo 2 is winning. It has fast paced game play, a great story with fantastically modelled cut-scenes resulting in a more cinematic feel than any other game I have played…other than those point and click games actually filmed, and having not yet tried the multiplayer modes, I’m sure I’m going to be hooked on Halo 2 for a long time yet. However I am about to give Paper Mario another bash. Am looking forward to getting further into the game to see what surprises await.

Although I still love Nintendo more than any other developer, this is how the situation currently looked from where I’m standing…

Nintendo <:::::::::::::::::::||:::::> Microsoft Game Studios

…bound to change in the near future, when the whole initial ‘wowness’ of the game wears off, but it’s still a victory for Microsoft.

Here’s to Halo 3!
Mon 21/03/05 at 20:15
Regular
"8==="
I'd say the same for Star Wars.

Mediocre at best.
Mon 21/03/05 at 19:56
Regular
I've played on Halo 2. I didn't see what the deal was, it's pretty poor to be honest. I've played far better FPSs and games over the last year (2004). IE Far Cry, Half Life 2, Mario & Luigi's Superstar Saga and many others. I prefered these games much more.
Mon 21/03/05 at 19:16
Regular
"8==="
I should go through Halo 2 again now the hype's died down.

Think I'll do Breakdown next though after I've done the final mission on Mercenaries.
Mon 21/03/05 at 16:13
"'oh I do say!'"
i hate captain falcons punch
Mon 21/03/05 at 16:11
Regular
"bing bang bong"
The guy who sits next to me* at work has a desk absolutely covered in all the toys and figurines you could ever imagine, and he's in his thirties. It's not 'uncool' to collect stuff like this, in fact I'd bet if you saw his desk Azul you'd think it one of the coolest places to work you'd ever seen :0]

*not gay
Sun 20/03/05 at 20:42
Regular
That geezer in the tight tights from F-Zero who shouts "Show me your moves" as he poses his bulge in SSBM?
Sun 20/03/05 at 20:40
Regular
"be destroyed"
i know captain falcon
Sun 20/03/05 at 20:36
Regular
Wouldn't be suprised if this captain falcon is Azul.

Anyway, GameCube is back in my good books thanks to Capcom's efforts.
Sun 20/03/05 at 18:32
Regular
"Pwned"
Get Resi 4 and Metroid Prime 2. Street Racing Syn looks good, although I haven't played it.
Sun 20/03/05 at 18:10
Regular
"Underbean"
Edgy u have a x box and gamecube!
UR lucky im stuck with a gamecube, with rubbish games, send me games pls

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.