GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Production time"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/05/01 at 22:24
Regular
Games aren't as easy to produce as they were with the trusty old Atari 2600 and BBC.Programming on these machines was simple code and could be done in somone's bedroom.

These days it takes a large team and very expensive equipment to produce every tiny part of the new games,Looking at the credits of Metal gear solid is a fine example of the people involved.

But even so we're waiting far too long for these games,I understand of the heavy work needed to produce these games but they have to find a way of producing these games faster but with no quaility lost.

do you agree?
Fri 25/05/01 at 22:24
Regular
"Back For Good"
Games aren't as easy to produce as they were with the trusty old Atari 2600 and BBC.Programming on these machines was simple code and could be done in somone's bedroom.

These days it takes a large team and very expensive equipment to produce every tiny part of the new games,Looking at the credits of Metal gear solid is a fine example of the people involved.

But even so we're waiting far too long for these games,I understand of the heavy work needed to produce these games but they have to find a way of producing these games faster but with no quaility lost.

do you agree?
Sat 26/05/01 at 00:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Shut up.

You obviously know nothing of coding games. Designers have libraries called "Middleware" which are codesets to speed things up, but even then, it takes ages. A CD holds 650mb or so. That's 681574400 characters, give or take. Plus thinking time, creating models, farting about in board meetings. Actually, it's a bloody miracle they get games there on time. If they could make things quicker, they would, but they can't. Just be happy they do it at all.

Don't dis coders like myself when you blatently don't understand.
Sat 26/05/01 at 12:36
Regular
"Whatever!"
I know its frustrating waiting for games but I would rather wait longer to get the best out of them than a rushed effort which may lead to faults. If it takes longer than expected its just one of those things - Look at the delays GT3 has had and think how much better it will be for it!!
Sat 26/05/01 at 13:16
Regular
I think that hype is the worst thing that has happened to gamers, its better if developers work on a project secretly and then surprise us with games instead of waiting for games for many months an example is Resi 4 already they (Capcom) are talking about and they havent even started making the game and then they tell us dates like summer 2002 who knows we (who are in Europe) could get the game in 2003, I wont be surprised.
Sat 26/05/01 at 14:31
Regular
"Whatever!"
I think Konami have the right idea with Metal Gear Solid 2 - Keeping it under wraps right up till its release, no one knows what lies beyond the first part.
Its a great idea though, I mean why should magazines or other resources spoil it for us, its all part of the suspense!! What would be the point in watching a film if you know what is going to happen straight away??
Sat 26/05/01 at 14:35
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
GT3 has been a while but no more delays now. Each car model on GT3 takes 2 weeks to make instead of just one day for GT1 or GT2. Also this means no racing bodys can be bought with a standard car. The only way to have a racing body is to win or buy a car which has it.

GT3 has been delayed but its all be for the best, as it looks amazing easily making any game to date look poor in the visual department.
Sat 26/05/01 at 17:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Where did you hear about the racing bodies thing?
Sat 26/05/01 at 19:11
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Its true its in the game. No web site I have read has said it but I read and post messages on the GT3 message board at Gamefaqs website. These people have the game so they know what they are talking about. If you think about it the racing models are an extra car as the shape is different. If a car in GT3 takes 2 weeks to make you can see that to inlcude a racing body for each car it may take an extra week or it maybe 2 weeks. Which means 4 weeks to build 1 car. There are cars which have the racing type bodies on but these are either won or bought. For example if you buy say a Nissan Skyline R34 then you cant change the body it stays the same. If you want one that is a racing body then you might have to settle with the Pennzoil Skyline(the yellow one from the demo). I think there maybe a few more racing body Skylines aswell. Also remeber the Escudo Pike the very light and power full car from GT2. Well how about this car that can actually be tuned up to give, I think about 1700-1800 BHP.
Sat 26/05/01 at 20:32
Regular
"Back For Good"
turbonutter wrote:
> Shut up.
>You obviously know nothing of coding games.......
>Don't dis coders "like myself" when you blatently don't
> understand.

my,my we aren't very happy are we??

My Uncle writes the main parts of CAD programs, My cousin has been blabbing in my ear since he got his C64 with specs and Gibberish talk.

My other cousin's husband works high up with IBM in London and to top it off I've just Completed my GNVQ intermedite of ICT and have been looking into advanced. So don't tell me to shut up!! and I do know alot about coding and stop being so simple minded!!!!

THE LEAST GAME PRODUCERS CAN DO IS GIVE US A PROPER RELEASE DATE!!
if they can't promise to have it finished by that date,they shouldn't say anything except for a rough idea.

no one can argue with that!!
Mon 28/05/01 at 01:17
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
And you've never had unforeseen problems in development of a program, have you?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.