GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Reducing Mpegs?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/04/05 at 16:18
Regular
"SOUP!"
Know any software that will reduce the filesize of an mpeg but still leave the quality?

Not sure if converting to an .avi would do that?

Any info would be great.
Tue 05/04/05 at 20:38
Regular
"Always the winner?"
Paradox: wrote:
> You help was more than satisfactory and was very well received, I
> thank you kind squire.

Squire? Wow! Thanx! You. Are. God.
Tue 05/04/05 at 19:29
Regular
"SOUP!"
You help was more than satisfactory and was very well received, I thank you kind squire.
Tue 05/04/05 at 19:27
Regular
"Always the winner?"
Paradox: wrote:
> You. Are. God.

what is that supposed to mean?
Tue 05/04/05 at 19:17
Regular
"SOUP!"
You. Are. God.
Tue 05/04/05 at 17:34
Regular
"Always the winner?"
You may reduce the resolution of the vid to something less, like if its 1500*750 (though it'll never be), you may reduce it to 750*350. And, at the sametime half the bitrate. So you see, the resolution is decreased to one/fourth, while the bitrate is only halved, so there is minimal quality loss.

You need not use Premiere, or MS Media Encoder. TMPGenc (google it for the dl) and VirtualDub (available on sourceforge.net).

The best thing with VirtualDub is that it can use "Direct Stream Copy" for both audio & video or either one of them, meaning that you need not reencode audio if you left it unchanged. It'll be copied directly from the source file. However this option may not be useful in this case.

TMPGenc, is an equally good encoder (both are free, remember that). You can clip frames, change the colors, etc. in reltime encoding. The changes are applied to a file only while encoding, so TMGenc consumes less RAM than MS Word!

You might also be interested in the HuffYUV lossless codec, and the new XViD codec. BTW XViD, to the best of my knowledge, offers the same quality as that of an MPG file, at a fairly reduced size. However, there'd be a slight and inevitable generation loss.

If you want further clarification about any such thing, you may try the "General Video" forum at animemusicvideos.org [URL]http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=11[/URL] . Dont get disheartened on the mention of anime, the guys surfing around there on the forum are hard-core amateurs and some of them are even proffessionals. So, you'll get plenty of help there.

SR, I'm not advertising something, its just that this link may be useful to him

EDIT

There you go Paradox, all the software mentioned here is PublicDomain, except TMPGenc, which is shareware and a TRIAL software. Even after you finish your Trial Period, you'd be able to use the program with full functionality. The only function from the software that woul be removed after the Trial period is the MPEG encoding feature. ;)
Tue 05/04/05 at 17:15
Regular
"Captain to you."
You would have to 'Aquire' them or use uni equipment. i think there may be trial versions of the software on their main pages.
Tue 05/04/05 at 17:07
Regular
"SOUP!"
Where and how much?

Don't want to pay for anything

Cheapskates-r-us
Tue 05/04/05 at 16:37
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Yeh, Adobe Premiere should do the job but so can Quicktime Pro and Microsoft Media Encoder.
Tue 05/04/05 at 16:31
Regular
"Captain to you."
I don't know what software you currently have but Adobe Primere is very good for video encoding. You can reduce them down alot and keep alot of the quality, there is no way of compressing the size without some quailty loss.
Tue 05/04/05 at 16:18
Regular
"SOUP!"
Know any software that will reduce the filesize of an mpeg but still leave the quality?

Not sure if converting to an .avi would do that?

Any info would be great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.