GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft to release 3 Xbox 2's"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/11/04 at 19:52
Regular
"Insert Gently"
Leak suggests Microsoft are planning three different versions of the Xbox 2...

A leak from a Microsoft presentation has revealed that Microsoft are at the very least considering releasing three different version of the Xbox 2. The basic model would be just the console, controversially without a hard drive. The second would offer increased functionality thanks to the inclusion of a hard drive, while the third would pretty much be a PC.

The first two would be released towards the end of 2005, with the PC edition held back as a trump card for the release of the PlayStation 3. It would apparently come with a wireless mouse and keyboard, run Windows and PC software, burn CDs and produce the best visual results if it was attached to a monitor.

While it's very good news that you will be able to buy an Xbox 2 with a hard drive after the scares that Microsoft would eliminate the Xbox' USP to cut the financial losses they make on every single console they manufacture, it does raise some issues. By fragmenting the baseline, programmers will need to produce games that work on an un-level playing field. And history has shown that once you've got people on different combinations of MegaDrive, Mega CD and 32X, things go awry. While the Xbox 2 differences would be a lot different to those facing SEGA owners in the early '90s, we await further clarification with interest...
Sun 14/11/04 at 19:44
Regular
"boom boom click"
ok
Sun 14/11/04 at 19:44
"slightlyshortertagl"
Thank to Para, I've known about this for yonks.

My thoughts;

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
Sun 14/11/04 at 19:42
Regular
"Touched!"
I somehow doubt this will happen, trust me on this. It's like Sony releasing the HDD add on..it did crap, I just can't see it working.
Sun 14/11/04 at 19:41
Regular
"boom boom click"
3 consoles = crap idea
Sun 14/11/04 at 17:42
Regular
Aha.

Although he could use Toilet Roll.
Sun 14/11/04 at 17:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Cause he needs something to wipe his bum with and the next one is flush friendly. Duh ! :-)
Sun 14/11/04 at 17:15
"Retarded List"
I R HOOPSTA wrote:
> As much as I like the Xbox, i'll be getting myself a PS3.

Why?
Sun 14/11/04 at 15:48
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
as long as the next one has a hard drive ill be happy...but i dont want my console to turn into a PC!!!!
Sun 14/11/04 at 13:32
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It's typical Microsoft aggresive marketing - now they can market at 3 times the frequency by bludgeoning the competition out the way on sheer numbers alone. Think how many stands and shelves Microsoft will take up in shops compared to sony.
Sun 14/11/04 at 13:18
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I get the feeling that the third console is complete BS. "Works best on a comp moniter", etc. It would just be a PC with no option to upgrade parts by the looks of it. Completely pointless.

Despite what the Microsoft haters say, I don't think Microsoft are that stupid to release something like that when their aim is to steer the XBox away from being a PC. Thats why the XBox doesn't have all that keyboard and mouse crap in the first place.

Maybe the first two choices are true, but then even that would be questionable. Anyone buying an XBox with half a brain would opt for the version with the HDD, simply because you'd only end up spending extra on memory cards in the long run anyway. So Microsoft would still lose money cause they'd have a shedload of non HDD consoles rotting away on the shelves while people all buy the second version.

Until MS prove otherwise, I'll be taking this latest rumour with a pinch of salt to say the least.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.