GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More RPG goodness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/11/04 at 21:59
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Lover of all things RPG that i am (apart from anything with Final Fantasy X or X-2 in the title) i thought i'd bring to your attention a couple of more great RPG titles in the wings that will hopefully reach the shores of Europe (if not ah well i'll have them anyway :-D)

First on the list is Radiata Stories done by the folks at Tri-Ace who did the great Star Ocean 3. It keeps the same battle system from SO3 and you can see the enemies before they attack so you can decide whether to charge in or save your energy and give them a miss.

It apparantly has a playable cast of characters of around 150 characters although whether it'll be like Suikoden 3 where quite a few of them were only support characters and not actually fighters remains to be seen.

Speaking of which it does seem to have quite a similar graphical feel to Suikoden so should be quite impressive visually if that sort of stuff determines whether you buy a game or not.

Release date is January in Japan so probably be waiting a while for that one :-D

and next to bring your attention to is the successor to the great Shining Force series on the Megadrive - Shining Tears.

First off graphics zealots (damn censors) may as well go now as you won't be getting ultra realistic 3D graphics with this one, instead you get the far better cartoony style graphics which are very crisp and smooth (i prefer this and sprites to the FFX style graphics anyway)

Big selling point i think of this is the co-op 2 player mode, so if you and a mate have about 40-50 free hours you can give it a blast :-D

One thing putting me off slightly is that they've done away with the strategy elements of the previous games and gone for a more action orientated style of fighting, but then i liked it in SO3 so maybe i'll like it in this.

Release date is March 2005 for America so at least there'll be a english version sooner then Radiata

and lastly the grand daddy - Dragon Quest VIII (Dragon Warrior in the west)

again using cartoony, cel shaded graphics my favourite RPG series finally comes onto the little black box. Still has pretty much the same battle system as old so basically it's good old turn based combat with random encounters although larger more powerful enemies appear on the screen (kind of like Ruby weapon in FF7 in a way) follows the traditional RPG mantra of head into town, talk to people and buy stuff, leave town, beat up monsters until you get to another town. Lovely :-D

big improvement though over the old games which may seem small and quite a weird thing to mention in this day and age is the fact you can now speak to characters with a press of a button instead of having to go to the menu and selecting 'Talk' very glad they've added that in, it was the only thing i hated in the previous games.

January/Feb American release date for this me thinks. Again can't wait.
Page:
Sat 23/07/05 at 13:53
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Started as Valen and blazed through the training league but then i got distracted by Metal Gear Solid 3 again. Don't really want to start a big RPG as i should be getting Makai Kingdom around Tuesday or Wednesday and i'm guessing that's at least 2 months taken up right there by that Nippon Ichi masterpiece, especially as i won't have to keep looking up what the hell they're saying from the Japanese version :-D
Sat 23/07/05 at 11:14
Regular
"8==="
How'd you get on with Gladius?
Sat 23/07/05 at 00:56
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Got round to playing Shining Tears.

Don't buy it, it's poor. Still trying to figure out how they managed to make a game with sprites lag.
Sat 02/07/05 at 22:49
"For the horde!!!!"
GORDON LOOKING AT JENNIFERS THIGHS
PERVERT PERVERT PERVERT

gotta love that :-)
Fri 01/07/05 at 13:19
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> You two ...
> What are you, demons or something?

Vassal to Overlord Laharl to give me my proper title thank ye :-D
Fri 01/07/05 at 13:14
"period drama"
Good idea though.
Fri 01/07/05 at 13:14
"period drama"
You two ...
What are you, demons or something?
Fri 01/07/05 at 13:10
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Just make sure you don't get any of the higher levels there. I remember when i tried it the first time, a bunch of level 120's against a level 2000 didn't result in much fun for me :-D
Fri 01/07/05 at 08:03
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I'll second that - it's what I did :)
Fri 01/07/05 at 03:37
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Bah just force it through :-D
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.