GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC21- The Switch"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/04/05 at 02:24
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
Ok..I haven't written a story since I was 14, thats 6 years ago!! So don't laugh :o)

--------------------------------------------

I finished the washing up,dried my hands and plonked the tea-towel on the side. I was a typical tuesday morning, my day off from work in which to get all my house work done. I grabbed my coffee, sat at the dining table, and turned the TV on only to find Richard and Judy discussing the latest developments in cosmetic surgery. I begun writing my shopping list but was interruped by my mobile phone beeping.

''1 message recieved''

I guessed it would be Simon telling me he'd be working late yet again. He always seemed to be working late these days, or out with his friends, or disappearing for the evening with no explanation. He only seemed to be around when dinner was ready or his washing needed doing. Adn he hardly spoke to me no more.

I picked up my phone and smiled to myself. I still remember the day he bought the phone for me. It was the same as his, some special buy one get one free deal. He sat for at least an hour explaining what all the little buttons did, I felt so out of touch with modern society and told Simon so. He just laughed at me in his loving manner, making and joke and also making me feel young again.

Returning to reality I opened the message. Reading the message over and over as it took a while for it to register.

''I enjoyed last nite,cnt wait 2 c u again. Love You xxxxxx''

I must have read the message 100 times but there was no mistaking it. I'd picked up Simon's phone by accident, he must have forgotton it today. I looked on the window sil where my own mobile phone sat. One silly mistake had caused me to stumble upon this secret of his.

Now, still sitting in my kitchen so many questions were whirling round in my read. Who was she? Does this explain where he's been? How long has it been going on? When and If he'd ever tell me?

Eventually, curiosity overcame me and as much as I hate to admit it now, I searched through his phone for more evidence of this affair. There must have been at least 10 messages from this girl, Becky, each one ending in ''......love you always xxxx'' Tears stung my eyes and my heart ached. After 20 years I couldn't believe Simon would keep this from me, but the evidence was right there before my very own eyes.

Suddenly, guilt surged through me. who was I to go through his phone? There must be some explanation and I knew Simon would tell me, eventually. He was a good bloke and if he was going to do this to me, he'd tell me straight away.

I began thinking back to the day we first met. It was, without a doubt, the best day of my life, well that and getting married. It was a hot August day, I was 20 and I had been living alone since leaving home at 18- i liked it that way. He looked straight into my eyes and smiled, it was love at first sight for sure. I remember taking him in my arms and kissing him.

''Just you and me'' I whispered in his ear to which he smiled in agreement. And, thats how it had been for the last 20 years, well until this day when I was set to be alone again now that this Becky woman had got her hands on my Simon.

I begun to hatch a plan tp keep my hands on Simon. Home-made meals, fresh bedsheets and his washing done more often. I was just getting into my plan feeling positive about keeping Simon when I was interrupted my the phone.

''Hello'' It was Simon. ''Are you making dinner tonight? Only, I need to talk to you''

My heart thudded. This was it.

''o..o..o...ok, about 5?'' I stammered.

''Fine. See ya then'' He said before hanging up.

I spent the rest of the day dreading that night. Shopping, washing and cooking partly to take my mind off it and partly as a way to keep Simon at home, with me, where he belonged. At 3 the door bell rang. I opened the door to see a shifty looking Simon. He'd forgotton his keys again. Behind him stood a young girl. She couldn't have been older than 17. I don't know what shocked me more, the fact that she was young or the fact she was actually quite pretty.

'Er..this is Becky. Can she have dinner with us?''

Anger boiled through me. How dare he bring this girl to our house however I was too shocked to say anything besides ''yes''.

Swallowing my feelings I made her a coffee and made polite chit-chat in my front room. However, I couldn't help but like her. I served dinner which through out Simon and Becky made eyes at each other, thinking I wouldn't notice. I did notice though, I also noticed how happy he seemed with her. It was then I realised nothing would be the same again.

At 10pm, Simon drove her home. I paced the kitchen awaiting his return and some sort of explanation. At 10:30 he returned home. 'Home' He wouldn't be calling it that much longer.

I stood in the hallway looking at him. He cleared his throat as if to speak, but i interrupted him.

''So. Is..is..is she your..girlfriend'' I asked slowly. The words seemed so wrong, yet as soon as the words left my mouth I already knew the answer.

Simon looked at his feet.

''Yes, I love her. I'm sorry'' He explained. ''Do you like her?''

I broke into a smile.

''She's lovely'' I told him

Simon whooped with delight.

''Oh mum I'm so pleased'' He cried, throwing his arm around me.

''So I guess you don't need me no more'' I laughed.

''Steady on!! Someone still needs to do my washing!!''

I hugged my son, relieved he had finally introduced me to his girlfriend. I was so happy for him, yet sad that my son, my only child would soon be flying the nest.
Mon 04/04/05 at 15:49
"period drama"
Nice one. Very good twist, didn't see that coming.
Sun 03/04/05 at 22:03
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
This is Lawrence.

I wrote it late last night and just wanted to get it finished.

Glad you all liked it :o)
Sun 03/04/05 at 21:41
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Good ending, some neat phrases, but some parts didn't sit well with me. I could also see where it was going when she mentioned she looked "about 17", but it was nice when it clicked in to place.

If you write something else it'd also be a good idea to proof read it and re-read it as there were a bunch of errors and lines that were worded wrong. Still, since you haven't written for ages that was pretty good. Well done.
Sun 03/04/05 at 21:16
Regular
"Not a Jew"
V good, even more so that you haven't written in 6 years.
Sun 03/04/05 at 20:52
"possibly impossible"
Fan

Tastic.

Loved it.
Sun 03/04/05 at 20:11
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
pauliewalnuts wrote:
> I enjoyed it mate, cheers. Another one tomorrow?!

Mate?

I'm a girl, mate.
Sun 03/04/05 at 03:07
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Me likey muchly, seemed genuine, did catch me offguard with the end maybe because of the time.
Sun 03/04/05 at 03:00
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
I'm not drunk.
Sun 03/04/05 at 02:59
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Ahhhhh, was well written, smooth moving, funny, emotional, put women in their rightful places, what more can you ask for?

Excellent, nice one drunkeh.
Sun 03/04/05 at 02:51
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
yeah yeah..just read the story, you!! ;o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.