GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online gaming on PS2 'too' early?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/05/01 at 00:28
Regular
With the recent announcement of PS2's Final Fantasy XI: Online Another World being at a cheeper price at the cost of a subscription fee, it makes me (and im sure others) feel that hardcore fans of the series may be missing out unless you are ok with spending bucket-loads of dosh so you can keep playing.

Theres more, however, you would not only have to pay for the game and the subscription, but also the phone charges. Unless you have broadband (and here in the UK it is not common), you will be paying for your game 'by-the-minute' via phone charges. Anyone like me who can play such games for hours on end will be overrun by charges, making your average £40 game become £50 a month through phone bills.

This gaming strategy is fine for places like America where broadband is obtained for about the same price we pay for unmetered 56k access. Does anyone else agree that the UK isnt ready for an online gaming revolution? Or will all these costs be worth what we pay for?

The UK public already pays much more for everything else, such as Petrol, Cars, and Videogames. Should we have to put up with companies like BT overcharging us, with not much of an alternative, we dont have much of a choice...
Fri 25/05/01 at 00:28
With the recent announcement of PS2's Final Fantasy XI: Online Another World being at a cheeper price at the cost of a subscription fee, it makes me (and im sure others) feel that hardcore fans of the series may be missing out unless you are ok with spending bucket-loads of dosh so you can keep playing.

Theres more, however, you would not only have to pay for the game and the subscription, but also the phone charges. Unless you have broadband (and here in the UK it is not common), you will be paying for your game 'by-the-minute' via phone charges. Anyone like me who can play such games for hours on end will be overrun by charges, making your average £40 game become £50 a month through phone bills.

This gaming strategy is fine for places like America where broadband is obtained for about the same price we pay for unmetered 56k access. Does anyone else agree that the UK isnt ready for an online gaming revolution? Or will all these costs be worth what we pay for?

The UK public already pays much more for everything else, such as Petrol, Cars, and Videogames. Should we have to put up with companies like BT overcharging us, with not much of an alternative, we dont have much of a choice...
Fri 25/05/01 at 11:16
Good call - we need broadband as promised at no more than £10 a month for unlimited access online. It'd work you know! Good post, well done!
Fri 25/05/01 at 11:23
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Dan2K1 wrote:
> Good call - we need broadband as promised at no more than £10
> a month for unlimited access online. It'd work you know! Good post,
> well done!

Broadband at £10 a month-thats wishful thinking isn't it?
Fri 25/05/01 at 11:30
I mean, I'd pay £50 for the broadband modem thing. But £10 a month would be impressive. At least Sony are with AOL.
Fri 25/05/01 at 11:37
Regular
Well, my broadband modem is £25 a mont, but im a unique position that my dad pays for it, what is getting to me is that no one even knows if the Telewest Blueyonder service will even be suported!!
Fri 25/05/01 at 11:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
For £10 you can get unlimited free dialup like I do.

Oh, and we pay by the second
Fri 25/05/01 at 21:00
As for the PS2, the internet can be supported through a USB modem or the HDD+Broadband addon. I think however that you will be forced to use their respective ISPs and wont have any choice in your provider.

For example, Sony are going to use AOL for their internet access, does this mean we will have to pay whatever AOL asks for or will the console support alternative ISPs?

For those who are stuck with 56k access, the cheapest provider I can find is IC24, who will allow access everynight during 8PM - 12MIDNIGHT at a cost of absolutly NOTHING, no subscription or phone charges through a 0800 number and an 0845 number if you wish to use it at any other time of day. It might not be much but some of us do have jobs and are likly to not be able to use it ay other time. Being able to connect through ISPs like this on the PS2 will greatly help popularity in the matter.
Fri 25/05/01 at 21:31
I am actually looking forward to internet gaming on PS2, and I also like the idea of downloading new levels, cheats etc. Of course, the costs are a problem, I mean I pay £14.99 a month and I get to use the internet at any time of the day with no phone charges. This could be seen as expensive, but with the amount I use the internet, and with the amount I will be using the internet in the future, this is a pretty good deal.
Fri 25/05/01 at 21:46
Regular
What I'd like to see is a game where Gamecube players can play PS2 players.

Then we'd see who the true winners of the console wars would be!
Fri 25/05/01 at 22:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I pay £50 a year for 0800 access 24/7. You get disconnected every hour but its free. No phone calls I can be on it for 10 hours a day downloading stuff. The cheapest Broadband modem connection that I have found is NTL at £20 a month. This is of course cable so if you dont get cable around your area you cant have it. You of course need a normal phone line as well as the cable is completey different. But most people have a phone line so an extra £20 is great value. I would get it right this second if it was round here. ADSL is another way but that is mega expensive compared to NTL's option. I would'nt mind spending the £20 a month for the cable modem for the PC if I knew that the PS2 could run on the same system. Then you would only need one cable connection. There would be no phone calls and Instant access all the time. I would disagree with having to pay subscription to play FFXI online, epescially as you have already paid for it. I would consider not buying the game at all if this was the case.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.