GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Image Servers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/10/09 at 16:12
Regular
Hi,

I'm using Firefox 353.

I've noticed that I have random issues when refreshing a page from the freeola.com domain in that the image servers appear to stall and then 'crash' all over the place with no images loading.

This is, as I mentioned, random, and I can't predict when it's going to happen, but if I look at my status bar during a stall, it's at image(n).freeola.com (or net etc).

If I refresh sometime later, all is recovered.

Any ideas?

Neil
Thu 17/12/09 at 18:00
Regular
FWIW

Since interleaving has been disabled on my line, I've had no problems at all with stalling image servers, anywhere.

(I also have black hole router detection enabled).

N.
Fri 04/12/09 at 12:18
Regular
Should I enable black hole router detection?

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing to set.

N.
Wed 02/12/09 at 10:24
Regular
I use Windows 7 Manager by Yamicsoft. I've used their software since XP.

The current network settings within it are:

Network type: LAN or More (there are others selectable)
MTU: 1500
TTL: 64
DNS query timeout: 0
Enable path MTU discovery
Enable large TCP window support
Enable SackOpts
Do not limit bandwidth (when playing media)
Enable the Network Adaptor Onboard Processor

The router MTU is 1500, however there is a note by this which says:

Do not make changes to the MTU setting unless your ISP specifically requires a different setting than 1454

N.
Wed 02/12/09 at 10:02
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
First thing to check is you MTU (Maximum transmission unit). This can be set on the PC and on your router.

To check your PC run the command prompt with Admin priviledges and type netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces. That should bring up something similar to this:
MTU MediaSenseState Bytes In Bytes Out Interface
---------- --------------- --------- --------- -------------
4294967295 1 0 13487914 Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
1500 1 3734493902 282497358 Local Area Connection

Excuse the formatting! The first column is the MTU size in bytes and the connection I'm using the and Local Area Connection.
Next login to your router and check the MTU setting there. Not sure where this will be so you might have to check the manual/Google. Make sure it matches the setting you have on your PC.

There is a registry setting in Vista that allows you to turn on MTU path discovery. This allows Windows to adjust to the correct MTU size for the network. I've just checled this on Windows 7 Home Premium and it not there by default so perhaps a little Googling will allow you to set this as well.

Whay the MTU checks? If this is not set correctly then packets sent to and from yous connection could get fragmented, which may result in loss of data and some packets being sent again. This could be the cause of the problem you are seeing.
Wed 02/12/09 at 07:50
Regular
Update:

The graphics stall appears to be generic - not just Freeola.

There is one other site where the connection to their image servers stalls.

This is not restricted to Firefox, it also happens in IE8, and if my memory serves me correctly, Safari (for Windows).

It is now driving me *insane*.

I have googled this and drawn a blank so far (maybe I'm using the wrong search terms).

I would *really* appreciate some technical input from those that know how the net works from the backbone to the pc.

Is it my modem/router (wired)? Is it my connection?

This happened in Vista, and is now happening in W7.

Any 'in-depth' diagnostic tips appreciated.

Thanks.

N.
Mon 16/11/09 at 23:40
Regular
I had pipelining enabled on the previous version too (with the stalling).

N.

EDIT: I just upped the pipelining maxrequests from 8 to 30. I don't know if its just a fluke good connection or if this has improved graphic loads, but graphics appear to be loading a lot quicker.
Mon 16/11/09 at 22:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
If you're seeing an improvement with the stalling of image servers, I think pipelining is the most likely helper. And maybe that gives a few hints as to the cause.
Mon 16/11/09 at 00:51
Regular
I do - yes.

N.
Sun 15/11/09 at 21:16
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
You have pipelining enabled on Tweak Network Settings?
Sun 15/11/09 at 20:23
Regular
@ Garin

This extension has always improved my experience. The new version seems to have improved browsing even further.

N.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.