GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will SR ever set up games servers."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/05/01 at 18:14
Regular
Have you ever considered setting up games servers so that your users can waste each other at games like kingpin?? I would take great pleasure in slapping some people about here around. And i'll bet the feeling is mutual!!
Thu 24/05/01 at 18:14
Regular
Have you ever considered setting up games servers so that your users can waste each other at games like kingpin?? I would take great pleasure in slapping some people about here around. And i'll bet the feeling is mutual!!
Thu 24/05/01 at 18:17
Thu 24/05/01 at 18:23
Regular
Those servers are a little elitest on the part of SR, no?? I can't play becaus eI wouldn't allow myself to go back to a 56k modem, freeola service or not, what about the few lucky people out here with cable modems??
Thu 24/05/01 at 18:23
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ali, will you be thinking about doing this for internet console games in the future?
Thu 24/05/01 at 18:28
Regular
Probably not, because freeola will not be supported by the consoles!!

er-no wrote:
> Ali, will you be thinking about doing this for internet console
> games in the future?
Thu 24/05/01 at 19:44
Regular
There's already enough to use.
Thu 24/05/01 at 19:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Bonus wrote:
> Probably not, because freeola will not be supported by the
> consoles!!

I should think so. It's only a standard DUN and ISP. Why not?
Thu 24/05/01 at 20:58
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Whilst it would be very nice to run games servers free of charge, it would also be expensive.

This means you would all have to pay more for your games. No doubt some of you would therefore buy your games elsewhere.

So - running games servers would make you buy your games elsewhere.

If we find any way around this little connundrum (Grix please help me with spelling) then I'll let you know.

By the way Bonus - playing online games from a cable modem is cheating!
Thu 24/05/01 at 21:03
Regular
"You've upset me"
Tony wrote:

> connundrum (Grix please help me with spelling)
Grix? HA! Just ask me instead

Tony: RBS, how do you spell connundrum?
RBS: tsk tsk tsk, the owner of a successful company can't spell?!
Tony: Please!
RBS: Oh, alright, it's spelt "conundrum"

:-D
Thu 24/05/01 at 22:19
Regular
Tony wrote:
> Whilst it would be very nice to run games servers free of charge, it
> would also be expensive.

Ok, here's an idea. Dont run them permanently, but how about every so often running a league or tournament for various games?

You could charge a set amount for entry, payable at SR shops as well as over the 'net. The winner could then get some money or games/hardware etc.

I dont know exactly how you would host them, can you "hire" servers for a couple of weeks. I know Barrysworld hosted stuff, but obvipusly they may not be in a position any more. Although i did hear they got bought by someone...

Anyway, if you did do competitions, it would get the SR name mentioned further afield and maybe bring in customers? It would be self financing as well as the money people pay to enter could be used for the hire of the servers for the duration of the competition.

Just an idea anyway....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.