GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Gen"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/03/05 at 17:18
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Ah, it's that time of the half-decade again. News of new consoles is heating up to boiling point and everyone is getting quite excited. But from a UK standpoint, we probably won't see the PS3 or Nintendo Revolution until Autumn 2006, and if rumours prove true, we could be playing on our new XBOX 360's as soon as November time! But, as has been shown in the past, SONY releasing a console AFTER their competitors seems to work for them.

With regards to Microsoft, I think the pros of them launching this Christmas definitely out-weigh the cons. Sure, a lot can change in 6-12 months, technology gets better and what was the best is now cheaper and 'not the best'. According to sources, Microsoft are sticking with standard DVD's. These DVD's, that we're seeing now, can be dual layered an hold up to 7GB. Not bad, considering that you can make a game of HALO 2's quality with it. Also, the graphics card will be better. SONY are using the equivalent of 'a 6800 but faster', according to UK developers. And Microsoft, with their PC links can surely encourage ATi to produce a chip to match this. An X800 XT, perhaps. Either way, you'll be able to glide through Half-Life 2 with no problems. AND you haven't got a system that has to run an operating system at the same time!

Technically the XBOX is a safe bet for Microsoft. You've got a standard DVD player which won't cost more than £20 a piece, a fancy graphics card which, when bought in bulk, will probably reach around £120... Standard 5.1 audio and maybe some Wi-Fi stuff. on top of the usual bits and pieces. The seperate HDD is a great move. One that will cut down costs, and, if they're smart, double-up as an iPod-type Media Player meaning they can charge a fair bit for it for Xenon/Non-Xenon owners. All it needs is an extra chip in it, a screen on the front and or the top and a connector at the bottom. Still, if it's about £70 and comes with LIVE, quite a few people will snap it up.

There's even talk of Nintendo including a Hard Drive in N5. This is a smart move - especially if they're going to support Downloadable Content, etc. Although if they're not, a HDD isn't warranted - you can save just as many files as anyone would with a Smart Card / Mem stick.

Frankly, i'd be somewhat disappointed if any of the next gen systems didn't support Wi-Fi and Wireless controllers. J Allard got it right, when he said we're doing away with cables, etc. Sure you'd have a minor issue with paying for batteries, but it's be more than worth it. How many times have you got you LIVE headset lead tangled up in your controller lead. How easy would life be if BOTH controller AND headset were wireless! I hope the LIVE headset Is stronger this time around. A tip for anyone who gets a new LIVE headset. Super-glue it STRAIGHT AWAY! Even if it isn't broken... it'll save any problems!

Graphically, I think all the systems will eventually be the same. Being able to port a XBOX game to a Xenon game in 6 weeks, like Rare did, might mean that the first XBOX generation of games are a bit nicer than the first Revolution/PS3 games. But it'll all even out. Nintendo themselves said that developing for Revolution will be 'familiar'.. so it might not be that uneven to start with.

In terms of disc size, I think Nintendo and SONY are the winners. Nintendo are sticking with the HD-DVD. This could well be the format of the future as High-Definition DVD sounds familiar to consumers, but also special with the HD in the front. The good thing about HD-DVD is that the developers of it aren't straying away from the DVD formula too much, but are just improving on it. Blu-Ray is a whole new ball game. Where as a Dual Layer HD-DVD can reach a size of up to 30GB, give or take a GB, a Blu-Ray disc can reach a storage capacity of around 56GB (almost double) with rumours suggesting that SONY are in the process of developing a 8 (EIGHT) layer Blu-Ray disc capable of storing a massive 200GB of data!!

Now. Compare this (albeit rumoured) 200GB Blu-Ray disc to Microsoft's 7GB of storage on a DVD-9 and you can see why consumers might want/feel the need to wait for the PS3. it's the newest thing from SONY. It has the CELL chip which, if implemented into any other of your SONY gadgets, could connect wirelessly to them via the built-in Wi-Fi! Also, if these 200GB Blu-Ray discs, or even 120GB discs come into effect, you'll be able to watch your movies at a much better resolution - (twice as good, if not 8 times). So there are plusses on both sides of the XBOX2-PS3 war. Nintendo seem to have bucked their ideas up. They've announced 'aggressively' supported Wi-Fi/online play, connection to DS and even GameBoy Next. Also, it's conveniently time for another Smash Bros. game, another Mario game AND another big Pokemon game, so don't expect Revolutions launch to be full of Army Men games and Midway Arcade Treasures 4. We could probably expect another Mario, Smash Bros', Metroid, Pokemon AND Mario Kart by the time it's ready to come out (Summer 2006). And NOONE can complain at that! Smash Bros AND Mario Kart heading up Nintendo's new, free Nintendo ONLINE campaign?! Yes please - keep your HALO 2.5!

IN short, I think it'll be Hard-Drives and Wireless for everyone. Nintendo's Console will FINALLY be able to play DVD's and even HD-DVD, probably straight out the box. Microsoft are launching early with standard DVD (a safe bet) (at the moment) and with $20 mil in marketting, they'll do fine. SONY are always safe, and if they connect PSP to the PS3, or have a UMD slot in the PS3, then they'll have quite an arsenal to work with.

I'm most excited about Nintendo's online plans and what media format they all use.

Just think:

On your PS3 you could be playing a 250+ Hour RPG on a 200GB Blu-Ray disc, holding a wireless controller are staring at Unreal Engine 3-type graphics.

On your Nintendo Revolution, you could be playing Mario Kart wirelessly with 15-31 other players. Your friend could be tracking your lap-times (wirelessly) on their GameBoy Next and tell you, according to the uploaded stats, that you're continually going wide on the 5th corner of Mario Highway 2!

On your Xenon, you could be playing Half-Life 2 death-match with 30 other people. You can even gravity gun people to death while listening to Beethovens 6th Symphony's Pastorale. On top of this, Your friend has just sent you an invite to play Perfect Dark Online and before you leave the great room your in, you check his status and he's playing team deathmatch with 28 other people and has reserved one space just for you.

All this in around 1 years time. How exciting.
Sat 13/08/05 at 16:41
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
Game wrote:
> Next Gen development is also quite expensive. It's not a problem for
> SONY/Nintendo/MGS/EA/Ubi, but for people/developers who are just
> starting out, they'll have to pray they can get maximum productivity
> or just stick ot the current consoles.
>
> I think the XBOX has a good year or two left in it. I wouldn't count
> on the PS2 lasting quite as long, mind.

I think that this generation of consoles will go on living for many years yet, just look at the PS1 people still buy them as they are cheap with a massive selection of games! The PS2, XBOX, GC will still be around in 5years+ time with bargin prices and cheap games.
Sun 31/07/05 at 19:59
"Retarded List"
Hush now
Wed 29/06/05 at 19:54
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Game, three Rareware titles bound for XBOX-360:

Perfect Dark Zero,
Kameo: Elements of Power
and Banjo-X.
Mon 18/04/05 at 19:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that.. People are still buying PSones, albeit in very low numbers.

Shame about Oddworld Inhabitants... Just another testament to EA's suckiness. Death to EA. I sincerely wish OI the best for the future... I'd see one of their films if the the quality of it was half that of Stranger's Wrath.
Mon 18/04/05 at 03:17
Regular
"8==="
The slim-line PS2'll go on for quite a bit.
Sun 17/04/05 at 22:31
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Next Gen development is also quite expensive. It's not a problem for SONY/Nintendo/MGS/EA/Ubi, but for people/developers who are just starting out, they'll have to pray they can get maximum productivity or just stick ot the current consoles.

I think the XBOX has a good year or two left in it. I wouldn't count on the PS2 lasting quite as long, mind.
Wed 06/04/05 at 22:32
Regular
"The definitive tag"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the next lot of consoles were pushed
> back a year or two.

Same here. I don't think the current generation of consoles are ready to be pushed aside yet. There is still some potential for some excellent games, although I can see most of them being the next step in a series e.g. Pro Evo 5.

Why would game designers go for anything original in the dying months of the current consoles when their ideas can be realised far better on more powerful machines in just a couple of years time.
Wed 06/04/05 at 20:33
"period drama"
The GC triggers are pretty decent - you get a satisfying clunk (although not an actual clunk, that would probably be worrying) when you push them all the way in. Although the distance between starting to push it in and it being all the way in is probably a bit far - can't you I've ever had to, but doing that over and over would be pretty tiring.

I'm glad Ninty are going full-on with online gaming this time around.
If all 3 consoles turn out pretty equal for online play, I know there's only 1 set of games I'd want to play.

The rest of the specs don't really bother me. I just want good games, and I don't really mind where they come from.
To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the next lot of consoles were pushed back a year or two.
Tue 05/04/05 at 23:38
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Game wrote:
> Nah.. the Shoulder Buttons on the cube weren't great. Plus, Metroid,
> the only game out that WOULD use them, didn't! Not for firing,
> anyway!
>
> I think MS should keep the triggers. They're perfect for Car-Racing,
> Shooting, Strafing. Two little additions to the top in the form of
> shoulder buttons should be ample.

Also, imagine using them with Banjo-Kazooie 3.
Tue 29/03/05 at 23:56
"I love yo... lamp."
Being a hardware freak, I really want the new consoles to come out ASAP. Sure, good things are being done with the existing hardware, but PC games have quite substantially overtaken consoles in what can be done.

There are a bunch of games I look forward to. Like Perfect Dark Zero. But at the same time I fear the rehashes that I know will be released. FIFA Street 2 is almost guaranteed after all, and that would be like recurring cancer. Except, probably worse.

Other things I want - some sort of high speed, integrated, large storage. Hard drive would fit the bill, as would large flash drives. Wireless as standard for as much as possible. I don't even want a cable between my console and screen. Higher resolutions and perhaps being able to use the console on my far superior PC monitor would be a boon, as opposed to having to get a VGA box.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.