GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Networking With Windows 2000 & XP"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/03/05 at 14:50
Regular
"We are not alone!!!"
I have recently purchased a wireless network hub from Wanadoo and my main computer is a Windows 2000 based computer and the computer I want to connect the network with is a Windows XP based computer I have installed the provided software on to my Windows 2000 PC and the internet works fine on that machine. I have brought a Belkin Wirless Desktop Network Card to go into my Windows Xp PC and that works fine. Windows recognised that I have a network and it displays the name. I then go into the Network Setup Wizard on Windows XP and it asks me how I want to be connected to the Internet, I say to connect to the internet directly through a hub like my Windows 2000 Based PC is and then the Setup Wizard continues with the setup. It then asks me how I want to setup the other computers and I say create a Network Setup Disk and it installs the files on to a formatted floppy disk. I then insert that disk into my Windows 2000 PC and double click the file on the floppy and a message comes up saying "The Network Setup Wizard is supported only on Windows 98, Wondows 98 SE, Windows Millennium Edition and Windows XP. Instructions for configuring other operating systems can be found in the help files in those systems" and I click OK and then nothing else happens. I have looked in the help files in Windows 2000 and XP and can not find anything relating to my problem and I have also tried the Microsoft website for help, again no luck in finding my problem.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me sort this problem out.

Sorry about the length, Thank you for helping
Fri 25/03/05 at 23:15
Regular
"We are not alone!!!"
thank you for the help i have got them both connected now.

Thanks!!!
Fri 25/03/05 at 17:20
"Are you sure?"
Here are some of the settings you will require:
[URL]http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/connection/freeservesettings.htm?linkfrom=help_connection&link=ChannelMenu_a_links&article=ConnectionSettings[/URL]

Unfortunately the Wanadoo site's pretty naff so they may not be enough for you.

In Windows 2000 it's fairly straight forward to manually setup the required network settings - say if you need further help after reading the above.

You will also need to configure you router with you Wanadoo account details, are you able to do this (you use your browser - IE/FF etc.)
Fri 25/03/05 at 15:43
Regular
"We are not alone!!!"
it is a wireless modem/router

I am trying to connect my XP to the 2000 computer to share files and i am trying to connect to the modem/router to get the internet.

sorry about getting the names wrong.
Fri 25/03/05 at 15:35
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't quite understand exactly what it is you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to get your Windows XP machine connected to the internet like your Windows 2000 machine, or are you trying to setup both computers so that they're able to share files with each other?

How exactly does your Windows 2000 machine connect to the internet? Is your "hub" actually a wireless router? That is an important distinction to make. Is your internet connection NTL/Blueyonder cable, ADSL or something else? What kind of modem do you have - is it ethernet (i.e. connects to other devices via a network cable), USB or is it built into the "hub" (in which case it's a wireless modem/router).
Fri 25/03/05 at 14:50
Regular
"We are not alone!!!"
I have recently purchased a wireless network hub from Wanadoo and my main computer is a Windows 2000 based computer and the computer I want to connect the network with is a Windows XP based computer I have installed the provided software on to my Windows 2000 PC and the internet works fine on that machine. I have brought a Belkin Wirless Desktop Network Card to go into my Windows Xp PC and that works fine. Windows recognised that I have a network and it displays the name. I then go into the Network Setup Wizard on Windows XP and it asks me how I want to be connected to the Internet, I say to connect to the internet directly through a hub like my Windows 2000 Based PC is and then the Setup Wizard continues with the setup. It then asks me how I want to setup the other computers and I say create a Network Setup Disk and it installs the files on to a formatted floppy disk. I then insert that disk into my Windows 2000 PC and double click the file on the floppy and a message comes up saying "The Network Setup Wizard is supported only on Windows 98, Wondows 98 SE, Windows Millennium Edition and Windows XP. Instructions for configuring other operating systems can be found in the help files in those systems" and I click OK and then nothing else happens. I have looked in the help files in Windows 2000 and XP and can not find anything relating to my problem and I have also tried the Microsoft website for help, again no luck in finding my problem.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me sort this problem out.

Sorry about the length, Thank you for helping

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.