GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Combined Ireland"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/03/05 at 19:28
Regular
"George Best wants football authorities north and south of the Ireland border to create a combined national team.

The former Northern Ireland star, 58, believes a united Irish side could be a force if they pooled their resources."

No offence, but neither team are amazing and for pure results it could be worthwhile...

But then, both nations have their own identities and as everyone knows it could turn quite political, similar to that glass ceiling that is often talked about in reference to black people in football (No offence meant, wasn;t sure how to phrase that), could a similar situation arise with Northern Irish players in the team?

On the other hand it may also provide an inroad into a more peaceful resolution or negotiation process between the different parties involved.

What does everyone else think?
Sat 02/04/05 at 01:19
Regular
I think they should both just become the same country.
And teh EIRE team isn't that bad, did quite well in the World Cup, and are ranked quite highly in teh FIFA world rankings, I believe.
Fri 01/04/05 at 01:08
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
TheScone wrote:
> On the other hand it may also provide an inroad into a more peaceful
> resolution or negotiation process between the different parties
> involved.

Yeah, decades of institutionalized hatred and segregation would be put aside in one fell swoop...

Can't see why it would cause that much violence; been to Windsor Park many times to watch N. Ireland's split population watch/play without any problems out of the ordinary. Also watched the (all) Ireland rugby team play in Dublin (where a large Northern contingent are regularly present) and ditto.

However, still a stupid idea. Nationalist fans would say yes, unionist fans would say no; no one is in any way surprised. And there is the very real worry that it would effectively be the end of N. Ireland footballers playing at the top level with any regularity.
Thu 24/03/05 at 12:10
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I've said it many times before, but what about David Healy?

And there's always Roy Carroll - yes, I saw the Spurs game too....!
Thu 24/03/05 at 12:04
Regular
Ah Keith. I remember you in your Prem heyday with Man Utd and the Toon.
Thu 24/03/05 at 12:01
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
Stryke wrote:
> What Northern Irish players would ever get into the Republic squad?

Keith Gillespie :D
Wed 23/03/05 at 20:35
Regular
"Green & White Army"
Thats the stupidist thing i've ever heard! There is more chance of Liverpool and Everton combining for one team! Sure, if you want to see armageddon then this is a perfect idea.
Wed 23/03/05 at 19:48
Regular
"Monochromatic"
What a wonderful mix that would be, Catholics and Protestants all together in stadium, it would be a riot.
Wed 23/03/05 at 19:45
Regular
the republic had/have a really good team, but to mix the two together will never work
Wed 23/03/05 at 19:31
Regular
What Northern Irish players would ever get into the Republic squad?

Just sounds like a good IRA target to me, really. Blow up a stadium or five.
Wed 23/03/05 at 19:30
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
TheScone wrote:
> The former Northern Ireland star, 58, believes a united Irish side
> could be a force if they pooled their resources."

Really needs to lay off the drink old George :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.