GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Star Trek has fallen on it's big fat ass"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/03/05 at 01:45
Regular
"8==="
Up until Voyager it was progressing then it took two massive steps backwards.

Next-Gen was interesting the characters were good and the situations were usually enjoyable.

DS9 has the best story and was more character driven and less 'creature/planet of the week' in style. It proved you didn't have to just go around visting dull planet after dull planet to have a good Star Trek series. The series stayed in one place and built things around that place (wormhole, alternate universe, cardassian-bajoran war, ferengi side-stories etc).

Voyager was where Star Trek started to go up it's own ass. There was too much techno babble and the writers ecided to over-indulge their stupid fascination with indian rituals and mysticism which DS9 had already used to greater effect and in smaller doses.

A desperate ploy for ratings was bringing the Borg back for some fun. However earlier on we had some interesting characters in Seska and the psycho-killer (I forget his name at the moment) but the writers managed to kill of their two best characters in the same episode: GENIUS!

What would have worked better would have been if the writers had kept strong animosity going between the Marqi (spelling?) and the original voyager crews for much longer. It would have made for more interesting viewing.

Another problem is the writers crappy desire to wrap a decent idea up in a two-parter. Recently on Enterprise the had the ship go back where time had been changed and aliens were helping the nazi's win world war 2. This idea was good enough to have made a series in itself but the writers have it all wrapped up neatly in 2 episodes - BORING! There were some great characters there and everything didn't have to go so smoothly for them (They talk a mob boss into helping them in about 3 seconds - it would have been interesting to see them forced to help him out on a few assaults/robberies/assassinations before he fully trusts them and helps them take down the main enemy - and that's just one way it could have gone.

The series used up it's best ideas in DS9 and then the formula used to churn out crappy episode after crappy episode then after finally killed it.

The fact that Enterprise was created because the writers were 'bored' should have given Paramount a slight clue that they needed a load of fresh talent but that's coked up studios for you.

How about a few characters who aren't whiter than white every-so-often? Too late now. What might have been nice would have been if Enterprise had a few unsavoury characters along for the ride trying to sell technology or rid cultures of their valuables - but know we've got to put our Star Trek ethos before making something watchable to please the fans - and the fans turned off anyway.

Shame. I used to enjoy watching Star Trek.
Wed 23/03/05 at 23:33
Regular
"you've got a beard"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> "Bablyon 5's a big pile of s**t!"

GET OUT!!
Wed 23/03/05 at 23:17
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Oriental Rib wrote:
> FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
>
> Your Spaced-ness makes me warm inside.

Can't believe I didn't get that reference :|

Bill Bailey should have been in it more.
Wed 23/03/05 at 20:46
Regular
I'd have done that Deanna Troi. If she was lucky.
Wed 23/03/05 at 20:37
Regular
"Get off me you bummer"
Wed 23/03/05 at 20:34
"period drama"
Go team.
Wed 23/03/05 at 20:32
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:

Your Spaced-ness makes me warm inside.
Wed 23/03/05 at 20:29
Regular
"Hello, Mr Freeman!"
As a Star Trek Fan, I will say it did start to go downhill after The Next Generation. DS9 was good, and I did like Voyager. But I haven't watched any of Enteprise.
But the Original series will always be the best.
Wed 23/03/05 at 20:18
Regular
Star Trek has been going downhill for ages
Wed 23/03/05 at 20:09
"period drama"
"Bablyon 5's a big pile of s**t!"
Wed 23/03/05 at 17:48
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Light wrote:
> Speaking as a sci-fi geek, I always found DS9 to be a poor copy of
> Bablyon 5 anyway...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.