GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where are Nintendo in all this?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/03/00 at 11:25
Regular
Everyone seems to forget Nintendo. The company that brought us most of the gaming moments that we treasure forever. The N64 was a blip on Nintendo's otherwise amazing record, and even then the 64-bit console delivered arguably 3 of the best games to be created, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. Sony stole their ideas from Nintendo in the first place, and this is why. I know someone at Sony who can back me up on this one. You see the PlayStation was originally designed as a CD-Drive for the Super NES in a deal between Nintendo and Sony. The talks broke up and it was canned, but Sony didn't give back the designs for the prototype which contained Super NES technology, and this is where it gets interesting. The PlayStation today has modidfied SNES components, and therefore in effect is a Nintendo derived console. The point is Sony has little experience in creating a console by itself, the PSX was the first one they ever made, and they had a great deal of help from Nintendo indirectly! The PS2 has already shown to have many faults, one the architecture of the processor link with the graphics processor. Developers have been complaining about this, and faults have been reported in the new memory cards too. Developers have also stated that the PS2 is very difficult to develop for, and have even said that Dreamcast games will look better than PS2 games for some time. You may remember that this was the problem with the N64. Think carefully people, I'm not telling anyone what they should do, I'm just showing you the evidence. Buy a PS2 if you love Sony style games, but can you live without any of Nintendo's originality and experience in the field? No Mario, No Zelda, No Donkey Kong, No Metroid? It would be hard believe me, I own a PSX, N64 and GB and beleive me without the Nintendo input I think I would have died of heartache! When the Dolphin becomes more widely appreciated, you will realise that what I am saying here has some connection with reality. Snazzy coolness and a hefty pricetag is offered by Sony, whereas you will be able to get all the games PS2 owners get AS WELL as all the Nintendo games for half the price. I know what I'd go for, it doesn't take an Einstein to work out the physics in this one...
Sun 19/03/00 at 01:04
I have to say, it's certainly refreshing to see that someone has finally taken an intelligent point of view, rather than being washed away in a great hype of mass-marketing sensationalism. Before everyone points the finger at me, and yells,' Ah, ha! He's an N64 owner, so he's just supporting his console! He's just protecting his decision to buy that console by slating the opposition totally unreasonably!', I have to say tha, Yes, I am an N64 owner, but I'm also a PSX, GB, GB colour, Game Gear, CD32, amiga 500 owner, as well as having 2 fairly top of the range PC's, so I spend a totally ridiculous amount of money on Computers, I've been using console's for years, and know a little too much about them for my own good. Yes, Playstation does have some excellent games, many of which are extremely original (bar EVERY platformer on PSX)., such as Metal Gear Solid, despite being a little short lived, but it has to be said that none of the games that really stand out on it were made by Sony, but by 3rd party developer's, so Sony are making life a little difficult for themselves when they make a console that's very difficult for programmers to use correctly. They're the only ones who understand how to use it properly, and get the most out of it, yet Sony seem to have immense difficulty in making games that are fun to play. They've just got too little experience at making games that WORK. The same applies for the x-Box. Microsoft hardly know what they're doing on Pc, and let's face it, Windows is hardly brilliant, and their games are generally shockingly poor, so they stand little chance of fairing better in the far more gameplay orientated console market. And when the market is swamped with cheap, below-average games, it will be the brilliance of Nintendo, and small third party developers that will really shine through.
Still, I'm sure Sony's expert-marketing, and popular culture manipulation will rescue it, and ensure healthy sales.
Sat 18/03/00 at 11:25
Everyone seems to forget Nintendo. The company that brought us most of the gaming moments that we treasure forever. The N64 was a blip on Nintendo's otherwise amazing record, and even then the 64-bit console delivered arguably 3 of the best games to be created, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. Sony stole their ideas from Nintendo in the first place, and this is why. I know someone at Sony who can back me up on this one. You see the PlayStation was originally designed as a CD-Drive for the Super NES in a deal between Nintendo and Sony. The talks broke up and it was canned, but Sony didn't give back the designs for the prototype which contained Super NES technology, and this is where it gets interesting. The PlayStation today has modidfied SNES components, and therefore in effect is a Nintendo derived console. The point is Sony has little experience in creating a console by itself, the PSX was the first one they ever made, and they had a great deal of help from Nintendo indirectly! The PS2 has already shown to have many faults, one the architecture of the processor link with the graphics processor. Developers have been complaining about this, and faults have been reported in the new memory cards too. Developers have also stated that the PS2 is very difficult to develop for, and have even said that Dreamcast games will look better than PS2 games for some time. You may remember that this was the problem with the N64. Think carefully people, I'm not telling anyone what they should do, I'm just showing you the evidence. Buy a PS2 if you love Sony style games, but can you live without any of Nintendo's originality and experience in the field? No Mario, No Zelda, No Donkey Kong, No Metroid? It would be hard believe me, I own a PSX, N64 and GB and beleive me without the Nintendo input I think I would have died of heartache! When the Dolphin becomes more widely appreciated, you will realise that what I am saying here has some connection with reality. Snazzy coolness and a hefty pricetag is offered by Sony, whereas you will be able to get all the games PS2 owners get AS WELL as all the Nintendo games for half the price. I know what I'd go for, it doesn't take an Einstein to work out the physics in this one...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.