GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thinking of building my own PC..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/03/05 at 14:04
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I've done it before, but I'm a bit out of step with what constitutes a good PC. It's mainly for gaming, as I've got a half-decent laptop for work with the following specs:

P4 2.66GHz processor
40GB HDD
512 RAM
GeForceFX 5200 64Mb graphics card
DVD reader/CDRW

So I'm guessing that the minimum to incorporate future gaming needs would be something like:

P4 3.5GHz+
200GB+ HDD
2Gb+ RAM
Hefty graphics card (blimey they're expensive!)
etc.

Is that about right for a starting point for the next generation of games? The motherboard would have to be future-proof too. I remember building a PC before with ISA slots, then everything went PCI! Looking through SR's range of components and PC's, it seems I could get a half-decent PC for £500, then beef it up for another £300-400 - is that what people normally do? I'm quite capable of starting from scratch and waiting for it all to come together...

Cheers for any advice.
Wed 30/03/05 at 09:29
Regular
"i have a bad temper"
it got a bit broken...dented...smashed...compleatly...i supose he has got quite a lot of money...oh well...
Tue 29/03/05 at 16:29
Regular
"bing bang bong"
poopots wrote:
> would of still took it back to the shop and asked for a refund if that
> happened to me.

It's still sitting on my windowledge at home, I think I'm going to have to bin it now.
Tue 29/03/05 at 15:37
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
would of still took it back to the shop and asked for a refund if that happened to me.
Tue 29/03/05 at 15:30
Regular
"bot"
ahaha.
If only he had a video of that.
Tue 29/03/05 at 15:10
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Memorandum! wrote:
> your brother in law must have been pretty incompetent if the whole
> thing ended up in the bin. That's a good half-dozen components he
> must have wrecked, at least.

I dunno, I bought a hard disk for a friend for Christmas and he ended up setting it on fire while installing it. He had the bare-circuit underbelly sitting on a pile of screws on the top of his case when he turned it on. Whoops.
Tue 29/03/05 at 15:01
Regular
"bot"
your brother in law must have been pretty incompetent if the whole thing ended up in the bin. That's a good half-dozen components he must have wrecked, at least.
Tue 29/03/05 at 14:49
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
You don't MAKE computers, you assemble them.
Tue 29/03/05 at 11:12
Regular
"i have a bad temper"
my brother in law tryed to make his own computer........lets just say it ended up being good friends with the bin.:()
Sun 27/03/05 at 17:24
"I love yo... lamp."
Arctic Silver Epoxy.

Winchesters run cool, there is no need for fancy watercooling. Hitechjb1, who I view as a sort of demi-god, had one POSTing at over 3 GHz using a Thermalrigh XP90. The stock heatsink and fan is good for up to 2.7 GHz or so on regular occasions. Sure, watercooling etc is still great and all, but not really necessary.
Sun 27/03/05 at 14:42
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
monkey_man wrote:
> Suppose I'll have to learn how to overclock then!

May I suggest buying the cheaper slower parts and save the money to buy a good water cooling system. An AMD 64 3200+ Winchester will clock on decent cooling past the specs of a 3500+ and is around £75 cheaper.

Whilst we are on the subject of cooling and over clocking is there such thing as a strong thermal glue? The ram sinks on my graphics card keep falling of. They make a hell of a bang when the hit the bottom of the case

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.