GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HL2: Get Physical?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Tue 16/11/04 at 10:26
Regular
"where's my tag?"
If you buy HL2 through Steam you'll have it only in software form. If you buy the boxed version of HL2 you'll have the box and manual, plus, when you register it, you'll also have the Steam version. So my question is what's the point in buying the Steam version which excludes the box/manual when you don't have to? They both get released at the same time anyway, and if you ever have to reinstall the game you won't have to wait 1-3 hours for your broadband connection to download it.
Tue 16/11/04 at 12:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Also, you can get the manual from the Steam version of the game, it's a whole two pages long telling you how to install, and giving you the list of keys.

If all you want a manual for is to have something physical in your hands, dust off that printer and away you go, if you need it for instructions, best leave HL2, it'll be too difficult to comprehend.
Tue 16/11/04 at 11:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Crikey, how many more times, you can back up your games from Steam, you can print off DVD covers for the game and make your own box, plus those who went the Stem route, as mentioned below, had the opertunity to sample Counter Strike: Source before those who went to the shops.

Really though, what's more important, the game or the package it comes in?
Tue 16/11/04 at 11:01
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
WickedWare wrote:
> Then I guess it'll be just the box and its accompanying artwork that
> you'll be missing out on. I've been hearing rumours that there won't
> be a manual :( Do you think Steam is to blame if this is true?

There should be a PDF manual available for Steam users at somepoint... but why?
Tue 16/11/04 at 10:48
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Then I guess it'll be just the box and its accompanying artwork that you'll be missing out on. I've been hearing rumours that there won't be a manual :( Do you think Steam is to blame if this is true?
Tue 16/11/04 at 10:44
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tyla wrote:

> Also, Steam uses the BitTorrent system for content delivery. If you
> shut everything else down bar steam to do the download, you'll peak
> at your max connection speed, which in my case is 1.45Mb/sec! no long
> waits for me;)
>
> Open Steam Montior and watch that badwidth fly! Was quite surprised.

Aye, I downloaded Deathmatch classic, HL and CS in about 15 minutes last night. Totally amazed.
Tue 16/11/04 at 10:38
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
WickedWare wrote:
> If you buy HL2 through Steam you'll have it only in software form. If
> you buy the boxed version of HL2 you'll have the box and manual,
> plus, when you register it, you'll also have the Steam version. So my
> question is what's the point in buying the Steam version which
> excludes the box/manual when you don't have to? They both get
> released at the same time anyway, and if you ever have to reinstall
> the game you won't have to wait 1-3 hours for your broadband
> connection to download it.

That's why steam contains a back up facility allowing you to back up your game files to CD/DVD. Those of us who did purchase it through steam have had the added bonus of playing CS:Source weeks before anyone else.

Also, Steam uses the BitTorrent system for content delivery. If you shut everything else down bar steam to do the download, you'll peak at your max connection speed, which in my case is 1.45Mb/sec! no long waits for me;)

Open Steam > Montior and watch that badwidth fly! Was quite surprised.
Tue 16/11/04 at 10:26
Regular
"where's my tag?"
If you buy HL2 through Steam you'll have it only in software form. If you buy the boxed version of HL2 you'll have the box and manual, plus, when you register it, you'll also have the Steam version. So my question is what's the point in buying the Steam version which excludes the box/manual when you don't have to? They both get released at the same time anyway, and if you ever have to reinstall the game you won't have to wait 1-3 hours for your broadband connection to download it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.