GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dead Man's Shoes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/03/05 at 20:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Just rented this on my way home.
Shane Meadows (24/7, Room for Romeo Brass) co-writes and directs what is, apparently, a film in the same vein as "Straw Dogs".
Didn't realise this was out, didn't even realise he'd made it - that's how much press I've seen on it.

Review to follow after I've watched it and had ma tea
Mon 30/05/05 at 16:36
Regular
"cachoo"
Good film. I like how he's absolutely fearless. The drugging scene is fantastic too. What a baaaad trip it must be to have a murderer hiding, waiting to pounce, in the place you're staying while you're high on drugs! That was pretty tense.
Think I remember liking the soundtrack too, but I bet that'll be hard to get a hold of.
Mon 30/05/05 at 16:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*pop for media-man Snuggly*
See? See?
Tue 22/03/05 at 12:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah the gasmask-at-the-door bit was good.
I found him much more dangerous when he was standing in the rain and Sonny gets out to talk to him - bouncing on the balls of his feet and not bothering to banter.
"So get your goons and whatever you can together and come see me. Now get in that car and #@&* off"
Tue 22/03/05 at 09:43
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Bought and watched it yesterday.

Good stuff, bloody grim but good all the same. I had to chuckle at the gangs mode of transport, very gangsta.
I didn't see the twist coming either, and it made it all the more powerful.

All in all probably one of the best Brit-flicks I've seen (I do tend to steer clear of most of them to be honest); grim, well acted, a bit of dark humour, plenty of menace from the lead (especially when he's got that gasmask on) and no sign of Hugh Grant or any mock cockney gangster types.
Mon 14/03/05 at 12:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, I don't understand the packaging because an axe figures for about 20 seconds and is never used. Just a "I could do something with this" swing-swing scene that flits by and is never mentioned again.

It's not overly violent at all. I think it's the menace and knowledge that it's coming more than anything you actually see, and the simmering fury of the main character.
With some uneasy humour at unexpected points as well, right before something wipes the smile from your face.

A nicely off-centre, rain-lashed film that passed me by completely at the cinema.
Mon 14/03/05 at 11:28
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I've read some good things about this one and was thinking of picking it up on dvd next week. Missed it when it first appeared (as most people probably did). Hotdog magazine were singing its praises in previews and reviews, and they're usually my guiding lights when it comes to these sorts of unknown-ish films.

What sticks in my mind about the film is a picture from a preview article I read, with a guy carrying an axe (or was it a shotgun?), and looking rather menacing.
Sun 13/03/05 at 22:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's nothing like Straw Dogs at all, nor is it what the DVD packaging would have you believe.
From the blurb and quotes on the box, you can expect some usual Britflick with shootas and cor blimey gangsters quipping and double-crossing.

Not the case.
It's Meadow's usual excellent take on life with a Northern flavour, rain-soaked nowhere town of grey lives & houses in vast swathes of damp countryside.
It's hard to talk about without giving anything away, and the less you know the better.
Suffice to say that it can be put into "Revenge Film" category, not some clumsy gangster film.

Starts out with some very amusing bits and pieces here and there but, as in the social club, quickly snaps into snarling menace and then, just as quickly, eases back into something relaxed.
Keeps you off-centre until about halfway through when things get shifting into high-gear.
Well worth a rental, just don't expect Snatch/Layer Cake type rubbish because it's not. Think more along the lines of Ken Loach meets Abel Ferrara.
And the main actor/co-writer Paddy Considine is fantastic.
Never once raises his voice but gives the impression that you'd never want to mess with him - the confrontation between him & Sonny is fantastically well-handled, quietly intense but, looking at Considine's eyes, with barely contained violence.
What violence there is has been handled very well, it's more the threat of it, the knowledge that it's coming and he will not be stopped that adds to the dread and power.
And I defy anybody to not react like Herbie when, at 2am leaving a block of flats, you're confronted by a guy in a gasmask/hood and boiler suit smashing at the door and gesturing to you with his finger.

And in case anybody wonders what the graffiti means? I looked it up on the net because I had no idea:
"Cheyne Stoking" - It refers to the pattern of breathing that a terminal patient adopts when his organs are shutting down and he is about to pass away. Death, at this point, is unavoidable.

Go watch this one, just don't expect wise-ass cockneys pulling capers with quirky soundtrack.
Sun 13/03/05 at 22:18
Regular
"Catch it!"
Never seen it you watched it yet?
Sun 13/03/05 at 20:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Just rented this on my way home.
Shane Meadows (24/7, Room for Romeo Brass) co-writes and directs what is, apparently, a film in the same vein as "Straw Dogs".
Didn't realise this was out, didn't even realise he'd made it - that's how much press I've seen on it.

Review to follow after I've watched it and had ma tea

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.