GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Disabled Story"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/03/05 at 20:42
Regular
"Better Than You"
Well I got this for my English homework and I enjoyed writing it so I thought I’d share it with you. We were only supposed to spend about 45 minutes so it may explain why some parts are not explained as much as others.

This was the task:

Imagine what it would be like to be part of a community and yet know that you are in some way different. It could be the accent you speak with; a physical difference, such as wearing glasses or being in a wheel chair; being of a ethnic group or culture; being blind or deaf. Such differences can be strength, but perhaps also a threat to the person or community in which they live.

Write a story about some one who is different, ‘set apart’ in some way from others in the community. What ever you write about you should:
- explore feelings and experiences.
- explain the context and setting.
- include a crisis and a resolution.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I’m Chris. I’m a 13 year old boy and I am disabled. I have to use a wheel chair as my legs don’t function properly, it was ever since I got run over about six years ago; leaving me paralyzed from the waist downwards. Apart from that I am your average 13 year old, how ever others don’t see it as that. They see me as weird and stupid, among other things, just because I’m different. Yes I may not be able to do a few things you others can, but I can still do quite a lot of things; life also can be hard. Wait there while I take you through a day in a life of me. . .

“BRING! . . . BRING!” You are woken by your alarm clock at the usual time of half past seven, on a school morning. Even though you know you can’t, you try standing up, expecting a miracle to have happened, but it hasn’t, just like it hasn’t for the past six years. Your mum comes in to your room, as lively as ever, she opens the curtains and wishes you good morning. She lifts you on to your wheel chair and takes you in to the bathroom; leaves you be for a few minutes as you can do every thing by your self as there is hands next to the toilet and the sink is lowered. When you have finished she comes and retrieves you and gets you dressed in to your uniform. You wish you could just do this thing by your self as it is such a nuisance. You are ready and you have yet another trip on the stair lift. You have your breakfast and it’s off to school with you mum in the car – you’re not allowed on the school bus with your mates as it’s too dangerous, even though there is a wheel chair access on buses, but it’s another boring trip to school for you.

You arrive at school and your best mates, John and Tom, are there already waiting for you. They are your only real proper friends who have been there through and through – real friends. You go to your form class straight away and stay there waiting for every one to pile in, that’s why you came in early, to miss the crush; you also get to go from lessons five minutes early, there is also a lift for you access to different corridors, which the school got for you. You morning is a great one for you. You have history, maths and art; you can show off your skills in these. You do better than you expect you would have done – you finish all work set in history plus extra, you get an A+ on your maths test and continue you start to paint your great art piece. You stay in at break, in between maths and art; as you’re in the corridor at dinner, two bullies from year 11 approach.

They are getting closer, with wicked grins on their faces. John and Tom try to stop what ever they are going to do, but get thrown to the floor for their efforts. They grab hold of your wheel chair – now you’re scared! They abuse you saying things like “Stand up like a real man!” or “Look, dumbo here is so dumb he can’t even walk for himself!” You know these things are petty, but it really hurts you inside; you feel a tear coming to your eye. They are about to throw you off of your wheel chair, however your form tutor turns the corner, catches them, gives them a big telling off and sends them to the head master. You know they’ll be suspended, as you have been told that if any body does any thing they will. Your form tutor mentions to you some thing about doing a speech in an assembly about prejudice and discrimination. You accept as you want people to know about what you have to go through.

Your last two lessons are science and geography, so the afternoon just flies past. You make the last trip of the day from the top floor to the bottom on the wheel chair list. When you get home, in your mum’s car again, you quickly do you home work, so you can watch TV. You do so until your tea of steak and chips is ready. You tell your mum and dad about the incident at school; your dad is fuming and says he is going to have ‘words’ with them or their parents, good old dad you think. After tea John and Tom come and call for you, so you have fun on your street messing around with them. After a bit Joe and Carl come out – there okay, but you’re not that good friends with them. They all decide to have a two on two football match, which leave you being referee. You like being referee, suppose you have to if you want to take part in football in anyway, buy you’d still love to play with them, like you did so long ago. You wonder if you’d still know how to kick a ball.

It’s time for you to go in. The football match was really fun, best it had been to watch in a while, but now you’re having your supper and you will be going to bed soon. You finish and you say good night to your dad and you go upstairs with your mum, who lets you do your business in the bathroom. After she gets you in to your pajamas, out of your uniform (which you still had on to save the hassle of getting dressed so many times). Your mum lifts you on to your bed; says you’re allowed to watch TV for half an hour and gives you a good night kiss. As you’re flicking through the channels on the advert breaks, you drop the controller to the floor. You try your hardest to get it back, but it is out of reach. It ends up being on a programme you hate, so you slowly drop off at the end of another hectic day.

So there you have it. Your day in the life of me. Yes I do have some ups, but I also have quite a few downs. I hope you have seen half of what it is like for me; what I have to go through that every day. If this has done any thing for you I am glad. I hope it does some thing to people when I do this speech in the assembly. Also next time you see some one in a wheel chair, don’t think “Ha! Look at them, they’re different” and stare at them, just think how hard life must be for them. Most of all don’t look down on them! That is one of the worst things about being in a wheel chair. Right that is it. Thank you for your time. Good bye.
Sat 12/03/05 at 14:40
Regular
"Better Than You"
Jormungandr wrote:
> I would be inclined to disagree with your take on how the guy thinks,
> but that's entirely a matter of opinion, other than that it's good.

I don't know how the guy would think, I made it up / guessed and thanks.
Fri 11/03/05 at 23:28
"period drama"
Bit boring.
Fri 11/03/05 at 23:27
Regular
"kill my enemys"
Thats deep dude.
Fri 11/03/05 at 23:20
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
I would be inclined to disagree with your take on how the guy thinks, but that's entirely a matter of opinion, other than that it's good.
Fri 11/03/05 at 18:16
Regular
"Better Than You"
Thank ye.
Thu 10/03/05 at 20:54
Regular
"spongemycarpetydont"
very good, nice piece of writing
Thu 10/03/05 at 20:42
Regular
"Better Than You"
Well I got this for my English homework and I enjoyed writing it so I thought I’d share it with you. We were only supposed to spend about 45 minutes so it may explain why some parts are not explained as much as others.

This was the task:

Imagine what it would be like to be part of a community and yet know that you are in some way different. It could be the accent you speak with; a physical difference, such as wearing glasses or being in a wheel chair; being of a ethnic group or culture; being blind or deaf. Such differences can be strength, but perhaps also a threat to the person or community in which they live.

Write a story about some one who is different, ‘set apart’ in some way from others in the community. What ever you write about you should:
- explore feelings and experiences.
- explain the context and setting.
- include a crisis and a resolution.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I’m Chris. I’m a 13 year old boy and I am disabled. I have to use a wheel chair as my legs don’t function properly, it was ever since I got run over about six years ago; leaving me paralyzed from the waist downwards. Apart from that I am your average 13 year old, how ever others don’t see it as that. They see me as weird and stupid, among other things, just because I’m different. Yes I may not be able to do a few things you others can, but I can still do quite a lot of things; life also can be hard. Wait there while I take you through a day in a life of me. . .

“BRING! . . . BRING!” You are woken by your alarm clock at the usual time of half past seven, on a school morning. Even though you know you can’t, you try standing up, expecting a miracle to have happened, but it hasn’t, just like it hasn’t for the past six years. Your mum comes in to your room, as lively as ever, she opens the curtains and wishes you good morning. She lifts you on to your wheel chair and takes you in to the bathroom; leaves you be for a few minutes as you can do every thing by your self as there is hands next to the toilet and the sink is lowered. When you have finished she comes and retrieves you and gets you dressed in to your uniform. You wish you could just do this thing by your self as it is such a nuisance. You are ready and you have yet another trip on the stair lift. You have your breakfast and it’s off to school with you mum in the car – you’re not allowed on the school bus with your mates as it’s too dangerous, even though there is a wheel chair access on buses, but it’s another boring trip to school for you.

You arrive at school and your best mates, John and Tom, are there already waiting for you. They are your only real proper friends who have been there through and through – real friends. You go to your form class straight away and stay there waiting for every one to pile in, that’s why you came in early, to miss the crush; you also get to go from lessons five minutes early, there is also a lift for you access to different corridors, which the school got for you. You morning is a great one for you. You have history, maths and art; you can show off your skills in these. You do better than you expect you would have done – you finish all work set in history plus extra, you get an A+ on your maths test and continue you start to paint your great art piece. You stay in at break, in between maths and art; as you’re in the corridor at dinner, two bullies from year 11 approach.

They are getting closer, with wicked grins on their faces. John and Tom try to stop what ever they are going to do, but get thrown to the floor for their efforts. They grab hold of your wheel chair – now you’re scared! They abuse you saying things like “Stand up like a real man!” or “Look, dumbo here is so dumb he can’t even walk for himself!” You know these things are petty, but it really hurts you inside; you feel a tear coming to your eye. They are about to throw you off of your wheel chair, however your form tutor turns the corner, catches them, gives them a big telling off and sends them to the head master. You know they’ll be suspended, as you have been told that if any body does any thing they will. Your form tutor mentions to you some thing about doing a speech in an assembly about prejudice and discrimination. You accept as you want people to know about what you have to go through.

Your last two lessons are science and geography, so the afternoon just flies past. You make the last trip of the day from the top floor to the bottom on the wheel chair list. When you get home, in your mum’s car again, you quickly do you home work, so you can watch TV. You do so until your tea of steak and chips is ready. You tell your mum and dad about the incident at school; your dad is fuming and says he is going to have ‘words’ with them or their parents, good old dad you think. After tea John and Tom come and call for you, so you have fun on your street messing around with them. After a bit Joe and Carl come out – there okay, but you’re not that good friends with them. They all decide to have a two on two football match, which leave you being referee. You like being referee, suppose you have to if you want to take part in football in anyway, buy you’d still love to play with them, like you did so long ago. You wonder if you’d still know how to kick a ball.

It’s time for you to go in. The football match was really fun, best it had been to watch in a while, but now you’re having your supper and you will be going to bed soon. You finish and you say good night to your dad and you go upstairs with your mum, who lets you do your business in the bathroom. After she gets you in to your pajamas, out of your uniform (which you still had on to save the hassle of getting dressed so many times). Your mum lifts you on to your bed; says you’re allowed to watch TV for half an hour and gives you a good night kiss. As you’re flicking through the channels on the advert breaks, you drop the controller to the floor. You try your hardest to get it back, but it is out of reach. It ends up being on a programme you hate, so you slowly drop off at the end of another hectic day.

So there you have it. Your day in the life of me. Yes I do have some ups, but I also have quite a few downs. I hope you have seen half of what it is like for me; what I have to go through that every day. If this has done any thing for you I am glad. I hope it does some thing to people when I do this speech in the assembly. Also next time you see some one in a wheel chair, don’t think “Ha! Look at them, they’re different” and stare at them, just think how hard life must be for them. Most of all don’t look down on them! That is one of the worst things about being in a wheel chair. Right that is it. Thank you for your time. Good bye.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.