GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quick HL2 Question"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Thu 18/11/04 at 16:10
Regular
Got the game etc this morning...from Safeway/Morrisons (shhhhh).

Anyway, there's no manual - only the DVD in a DVD case. They said it's meant to be like that and that's it's only on the DVD.
I find that a little...peculiar.

So is this the case?

Another question is - we have 2 PCs, and obviously along with my dad, I want to play it.
Now with all this unlocking malarky, will this be possible...?

I'm sorta worried about that.

And as a side note - the whole Steam unlocking thing is to kill evil communist piracy, right?
And it works by entering the CD key and stuff?

Well, erm. Great job Safeway/Morrisons for finding a great way to defeat this.

Have the jewel cases on display. So that anybody could quickly pick one up, snapshot it with their cam phone, and erm, yeah.

Cause the CD key is inside the case on the top right.
Genius.
Thu 18/11/04 at 19:02
Regular
I don't know. I'm in the middle of experimenting at the minute as I have 3 PC's in my house and it's wanted on all 3 systems.
Thu 18/11/04 at 18:55
Damarus wrote:
You'll still both need the DVD
> to play but that's not too much of a hastle as you only need it to
> load the game.

CAn you use cloning softwre to emulate the DVD so you won't have to use it every time you play the game?
Thu 18/11/04 at 18:49
Regular
Not Azul wrote:
> This answers that question:
>
> [URL]http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10&p_created=1092152126&p_sid=1gRldQqh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yNTQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=[/URL]
>
> Yeah, the answer is no.
> **
>
> Cheers for the replies all.
> I'm off to have multiple orgasms.

Theres actually away around this. Unlock all files etc on both PC's using steam. On one PC use the steam account to play the game. On the other, block access to steam on your firewall (zone alarm etc). Load the game and it will say that it can't connect to steam, however it gives you the option to play offline. You'll still both need the DVD to play but that's not too much of a hastle as you only need it to load the game.
Thu 18/11/04 at 18:02
Pandaemonium wrote:
>>
> Much as I hate steam and the way valve are forcing people to use it,
> I have to admit it's an anti piracy stroke of genius. Watch many
> other major players follow this route. It's going to be client after
> client installed.............
>

Hope not, or it'll be no more PC gaming for me other than Bejeweled and java games on the net.
Thu 18/11/04 at 17:27
Regular
This answers that question:

[URL]http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10&p_created=1092152126&p_sid=1gRldQqh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yNTQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=[/URL]

Yeah, the answer is no.

Cheers for the replies all.
I'm off to have multiple orgasms.
Thu 18/11/04 at 16:34
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Would Steam mind if you have the same person logged on twice from two
> different computers?

Absolutely no idea on this one. I would imagine it would, but don't quote me on it.

To be honest, I'm guarding my steam account to the death. :)
Thu 18/11/04 at 16:32
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Oh, and I think you'll be able to install on two pc's, but you'll
> both have to use the same steam account. I installed the client on my
> laptop and it said I could downlaod the game content. Doesn't solve
> the DVD required problem though, but I've read in the forums that
> poeple are pushing valve to remove the check.

Would Steam mind if you have the same person logged on twice from two different computers?
Thu 18/11/04 at 16:24
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Not Azul wrote:
> Well, erm. Great job Safeway/Morrisons for finding a great way to
> defeat this.
>
> Have the jewel cases on display. So that anybody could quickly pick
> one up, snapshot it with their cam phone, and erm, yeah.
>
> Cause the CD key is inside the case on the top right.
> Genius.

Aha! I thought if this too. The game needs the DVD to play, but surely a hacked .exe will be available soon. I'd hate to try to register my cd-key only to get the message "this key has already been registered". HAving said that, I'm sure the steam servers can spot a hacked exe.

Oh, and I think you'll be able to install on two pc's, but you'll both have to use the same steam account. I installed the client on my laptop and it said I could downlaod the game content. Doesn't solve the DVD required problem though, but I've read in the forums that poeple are pushing valve to remove the check.

[edit]unless the DVD can be removed after the initial check.

Much as I hate steam and the way valve are forcing people to use it, I have to admit it's an anti piracy stroke of genius. Watch many other major players follow this route. It's going to be client after client installed.............

[further edit] My spelling is terrible today, but I can't be bothered to correct it. :)
Thu 18/11/04 at 16:22
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
WHY.
DO.
YOU.
NEED.
A.
MANUAL!?!?!?!?!?

Interface -> Half life's interface. Controls on the sheet provided.
Story -> THE ENTIRE DAMNED GAME!

I really don't understand this obsession over the none existent manual. Just think of all the damn paper saved by not incliuding a useless waste of needless data!
Thu 18/11/04 at 16:16
Regular
Cheers.

With the 2 PC thing, I dunno.
If I install it on my computer then discover that I'll be unable to install it on the other family one, I'll cry.
And vice versa.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.