GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube Price (US and Japan)"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/05/01 at 23:40
Regular
This is ALL my own work and it is in no way copied from any of the below 'fake' sources!

Nintendo revealed in a press release today that Nintendo Gamecube to the delightful cost of $199.95 in the United States, and 25,000 yen ($204) in Japan. These numbers have been cited from Nikkei English News who in turn got the information from an anonymous source.

Today's announcement comes on the heels of what Nintendo executives describe as an ``overwhelmingly positive response'' from thousands of the visitors to the national Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, which ended Saturday. More than 62,000 people gathered to view the latest in interactive entertainment.

"The response to Nintendo GameCube at E3 was phenomenal," says Peter Main, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "Game developers expressed over and over that our games are of unmatched quality, especially Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II. Pikmin also spiked interest for its incredibly unique game content and approach. This is all very exciting."

Nintendo plans to sell its software for the next-generation system to the tune of $49.90 - a number we've all come fimiliar with when purchasing disc-based games.

Also from the report comes the estimation that Nintendo plans on selling 2.5 million Gamecubes in the US and Japan by year's end. Therefore, a quantity of 600,000 pieces of hardware per month will be manufactured on a monthly basis. (This is in line with Matsushita's announcement to manufacture 600,000 disc drives per month as reported in an earlier news story)

"It's a big competitive advantage for them," Gartner analyst P.J. McNealy said of the GameCube price. "It's really going to help with the 8- to 15-year-old market, which has always been their strength. When kids start asking for a game machine, the price is going to help make that decision a lot easier for the parents."

The price comes at a competitv edge to both Sony and Microsoft. The Playstation 2 currently sells at a price of $299, while Microsoft announced its XBox would sell for the same $299 tag when it is released on November 8.

Source - IGN Cube, CNET, Tendo Box

Game...^_^

BEAT THAT MICROSOFT!

BWRAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mon 21/05/01 at 23:40
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
This is ALL my own work and it is in no way copied from any of the below 'fake' sources!

Nintendo revealed in a press release today that Nintendo Gamecube to the delightful cost of $199.95 in the United States, and 25,000 yen ($204) in Japan. These numbers have been cited from Nikkei English News who in turn got the information from an anonymous source.

Today's announcement comes on the heels of what Nintendo executives describe as an ``overwhelmingly positive response'' from thousands of the visitors to the national Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, which ended Saturday. More than 62,000 people gathered to view the latest in interactive entertainment.

"The response to Nintendo GameCube at E3 was phenomenal," says Peter Main, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "Game developers expressed over and over that our games are of unmatched quality, especially Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II. Pikmin also spiked interest for its incredibly unique game content and approach. This is all very exciting."

Nintendo plans to sell its software for the next-generation system to the tune of $49.90 - a number we've all come fimiliar with when purchasing disc-based games.

Also from the report comes the estimation that Nintendo plans on selling 2.5 million Gamecubes in the US and Japan by year's end. Therefore, a quantity of 600,000 pieces of hardware per month will be manufactured on a monthly basis. (This is in line with Matsushita's announcement to manufacture 600,000 disc drives per month as reported in an earlier news story)

"It's a big competitive advantage for them," Gartner analyst P.J. McNealy said of the GameCube price. "It's really going to help with the 8- to 15-year-old market, which has always been their strength. When kids start asking for a game machine, the price is going to help make that decision a lot easier for the parents."

The price comes at a competitv edge to both Sony and Microsoft. The Playstation 2 currently sells at a price of $299, while Microsoft announced its XBox would sell for the same $299 tag when it is released on November 8.

Source - IGN Cube, CNET, Tendo Box

Game...^_^

BEAT THAT MICROSOFT!

BWRAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tue 22/05/01 at 08:43
Regular
What does that mean for us though? That we have to pay £199 for the machine, and £50 per game?

It's the same old "Dollars converts to pounds" thing that we've seen so many times before.

Why do that do that? Why should we have to pay more for the console? I'm not exactly sure what the excahnge rate is at the moment, but i would guess that $199 is around £120 ish?

So why do we have to pay, effectively, £80 more? They're lucky that we can't really use import machines, otheriwise i suspect more people would buy imports instead.
Tue 22/05/01 at 10:14
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
The Gamecube will probably sell for £199, however the games will be around the £40 mark. In the US PS2 games sell for $50 but hear they are around £40, so both Gamecude and Xbox games will be around the same £40 mark.
Tue 22/05/01 at 10:19
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I'll buy that for a dollar...

If the GC is released for £200 ... Then I'll definitly be bagging one...
Tue 22/05/01 at 10:21
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The Game wrote:
> said of the GameCube price. "It's really going to help with the
> 8- to 15-year-old market, which has always been their strength.

BEAT THAT
> MICROSOFT!

Although I dont think Microsoft are going for the kiddie market... I think, initially, there more interested in the PS2's 20 something cash cow?
Tue 22/05/01 at 22:39
Regular
also the DVD player will be $315. But its only coming out in Japan aint it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.