GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question about networking."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/03/05 at 09:50
Regular
"AFC 4EVA"
My computer is connected to the internet, however my brothers isnt. And too save him always using my computer and filling it with crap, my mum was going to put the internet on both computers.
My question is...what would be needed to do this and how much would it cost?
Cheers!
Tue 08/03/05 at 11:34
Regular
"bing bang bong"
He said he wants a cheap solution, not to strip out his entire connection infrastructure and replace it with networked devices. If his brother has a second-hand Windows 98 machine it's unlikely to see sustained, heavy internet usage, so a USB connection will be fine. Also, if he wants to get a router, he can easily slot one in at a later date.
Tue 08/03/05 at 11:33
Regular
Like others have said.

Get a router.

A cheap router as well.

Cheap routers all the way!
Tue 08/03/05 at 11:27
heh, Aubie hasn't been through the brainwashing/SR induction yet.
Tue 08/03/05 at 11:26
Regular
"NULL"
And of course, you can buy 'em from SR ;)
Tue 08/03/05 at 11:25
Regular
"Freeola Support"
PS, Ditch that USB nonsense.

Ethernet is the way to go :)
Tue 08/03/05 at 11:24
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Coin wrote:
> Get a router...

I agree, best way forward, plus you get the option to add another 2 machines at a later date. Especially if you are planning to connect up your PS2.
Tue 08/03/05 at 11:16
Regular
"Bicycle"
Get a router...
Tue 08/03/05 at 10:39
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Assuming a worst-case scenario that you don't have network cards in either machine, the cheapest solution would be to enable connection sharing on the computer that is currently connected to the internet, install a network card in each machine and run a crossover CAT5 network cable between them. This would cost you about £15ish.
Tue 08/03/05 at 10:26
Regular
"AFC 4EVA"
Miserableman wrote:

> 1) How do you connect to the internet at the moment, 56K modem or
> broadband? If broadband, is it cable internet (i.e. NTL or
> Blueyonder) or ADSL? Do you know how your computer connects to it's
> modem (is it an internal modem, external modem connected via USB,
> external modem connected via CAT5 network cable.

Broadband, ADSL (i think, at college cant check), External connected by USB

>
> 2) What Operating System is running on the computer that is currently
> connected to the internet? How old is this computer? Do you know if
> it has a network card (or network adaptor on the motherboard)
> installed?

Windows XP, Just over year old (thats when it was bought anyway) Not Sure about the Nework card.

> 3) Same as (2), but for the computer you want to hook up to your
> internet connection.

Window 98, Dunno, bought 2nd hand, Not sure.

> 4) How far away from each other are the two computers you want to
> connect together? Are you likely to want to attach more computers to
> your internet connection in the future?

Say 6metres, No more computers but maybe a PS2.

So what would you suggest would be better, by better i probably mean cheaper :p

Thanks.
Tue 08/03/05 at 10:10
Regular
"bing bang bong"
You can either share your internet connection or have two seperate connections. The former option is more sensible for obvious reasons. To share your internet connection you either need a router, which costs about £30, or you can set up Windows to share the connection. The former option is more expensive and may not work in certain setups, but the latter option is arguably more difficult, more prone to intermittent failure and/or poor performance, less secure and also may not work in certain setups. To give us a better idea of which way to advise you, please answer the following questions:

1) How do you connect to the internet at the moment, 56K modem or broadband? If broadband, is it cable internet (i.e. NTL or Blueyonder) or ADSL? Do you know how your computer connects to it's modem (is it an internal modem, external modem connected via USB, external modem connected via CAT5 network cable etc)?

2) What Operating System is running on the computer that is currently connected to the internet? How old is this computer? Do you know if it has a network card (or network adaptor on the motherboard) installed?

3) Same as (2), but for the computer you want to hook up to your internet connection.

4) How far away from each other are the two computers you want to connect together? Are you likely to want to attach more computers to your internet connection in the future?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.