GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Staring 3D design"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/03/05 at 20:58
Regular
"www.360volts.tk"
Any tips for getting started with character 3d design?
Fri 04/03/05 at 02:29
Regular
"Captain to you."
Very_Metal wrote:
> nice car.

:')
Fri 04/03/05 at 01:41
Regular
"you've got a beard"
nice car.
Thu 03/03/05 at 22:23
Regular
This Very_Metal guy has no idea what hes talking about... the foo'
Thu 03/03/05 at 18:59
Regular
"you've got a beard"
character design=easy
character modelling animating=hard :D

start off small. make things easy for yourself. have long, skinny limbs to make skinning easier until you're more comfortable with the process.
get to know the tools, take your time.
ok, movement: if you're animating a human like character, then watch how people move. remember that few things are linear, most motion involves a curve of some kind (check out Jeff Lew's "learning 3d character animation" dvd). watch lots of cartoons to learn emphasis and exaggeration and the most important thing to remember is that it doesn't matter what software you use, the principles of animation are constant, you wouldn't believe how many people on my course go "well if i'd used Maya it would've been better".
no. no it wouldn't, your timing would still be lousy and no amount of software changes will stop that, only practice and good observation will :)

let us know how you get on, there's a 3d animation thread in the "life..." forum :)
Thu 03/03/05 at 18:54
Regular
Character design = hard
Thu 03/03/05 at 18:52
Regular
"Captain to you."
Do you mean character or people? Character can apply to almost anything when it is animated. A box for example can be made to look scared through the animation.

Very_metal has done animation with human models, he will probably be more help than me.
Thu 03/03/05 at 18:24
Regular
Bit vague. I know you say "getting started", but do you have any experience at all in 3d modelling? If not, I'd personally advise to pick up a copy of something like Gmax (free, google it) and then (google again) get some tutorials for it. Character design isn't something you will be doing straight away, keep it simple to begin with and advance onto more complicated models once you become more adept with the different tools.
Wed 02/03/05 at 20:58
Regular
"www.360volts.tk"
Any tips for getting started with character 3d design?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.