GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How much do I hate XP........"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/02/05 at 15:47
Regular
"Hal is that you?"
Please can someone advise me on how to fix my boyfriends computer that I inadvertently screwed over the weekend.....

He has XP Pro on it but on SP1 - Broadband so I installed Lavasoft Ad-aware to find it had over 200 objects and nasty data miners.... During the clean up I kicked off the Norton/symantec live updates which then froze the puter and I had to crash out of it. On rebooting the puter up again I found that none of the .exe files can be found and none of the programs will open......

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

Cheers

Novice - you dont say.......
Mon 28/02/05 at 15:47
Regular
"Hal is that you?"
Please can someone advise me on how to fix my boyfriends computer that I inadvertently screwed over the weekend.....

He has XP Pro on it but on SP1 - Broadband so I installed Lavasoft Ad-aware to find it had over 200 objects and nasty data miners.... During the clean up I kicked off the Norton/symantec live updates which then froze the puter and I had to crash out of it. On rebooting the puter up again I found that none of the .exe files can be found and none of the programs will open......

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

Cheers

Novice - you dont say.......
Mon 28/02/05 at 16:08
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Sounds like a rebuild to me.
Mon 28/02/05 at 16:18
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Buy a Mac.
Mon 28/02/05 at 16:19
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Girls and technology, eh?

*tuts*

Unless you're a gay.

EDIT: Nope, sorry nothing useful or constructive to say. Might be a full re-install - better hope he's got the discs!
Mon 28/02/05 at 16:28
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
How about trying a system restore first? Reinstalling the OS is a bit drastic.

Nice help article... [URL]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx[/URL]
Mon 28/02/05 at 16:52
Regular
"bing bang bong"
At exactly what point does it start to fall apart? Does the computer boot as you'd expect it to? Is it only when you've got to your desktop and you go to run a program that things start to go wrong?

What sort of error messages does it display?
Mon 28/02/05 at 17:07
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
When he comes home, deny eveything and resort to oral sex, which will destract him (as with all men) into forgetting about it or remotley getting upset when he finds out!;)

On a serious note though. How far is it booting? Are you managing to get into Windows? If so, try a system restore first before resorting to blind panic/oral sex etc etc!;)

It is possible that it's gone tot he great crashed XP grabeyard in the sky!:(

I had a similar experience with my wife moaning about the laptop being slow. After a quick scan, I discovered 14 variations of NetSky at which point it promptly fell over and died resulting in a full reinstall! (And she wonders why I won't let her near my PC!?

Simple equation:

Woman + PC = Bad idea
Woman + PC / let try and be useful = Very bad idea!
Woman + borked PC x oral sex = boyfriend who really couldn't care!;)
Mon 28/02/05 at 17:22
Regular
"Hal is that you?"
Yeah I know and believe me if I could have distracted him at the time I certainly would have done but he was sat there watching - my knowledge is limited but his is even less. The puter will boot up fine but the moment you go into run a program an error message comes up listing the path and that it could not find the particular .exe to run. I have tried a restore and even via a DOS prompt but when it boots back up again it still will not run any program....

It has been suggested to check the .dll files and where the .exe files reside , but otherwise it sounds like a rebuild is the only option. - God I might as well lay back and think of England for the forseeable future.......

Thanks for all the tips muchly appreciated....

Still a novice.
Mon 28/02/05 at 17:29
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I read an interesting article recently which claimed that it's almost impossible for a woman to ask for technical support without all the men in the vicinity instantly degenerating into chauvinists. If only I could find the url. Never mind, I'm sure it can't be true. But I digress...

The fact that it's booting Windows okay gives cause for hope. Exactly what error message does it display when you run, say, notepad? Does it display the same/similar message for every program? Are there any programs that run okay - if so, which ones?
Mon 28/02/05 at 18:58
Regular
"Bicycle"
Try a System Restore / Re-Installing a program and seeing if that works.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.