GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WEBBMASTER PLEASE READ"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/05/01 at 10:06
Regular
Could you help me on something webby i need to know how to make a disscusion forum because I am going to make my own internet site I would be greatfull if you could help also if you have any other usefull tipd that would be usefull to

cheers.
Thu 24/05/01 at 12:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
Its sad that I know the ID for the FOG is 185 of by heart...

maybe I need to get out more....
Thu 24/05/01 at 12:26
Our board is written using MySQL and PHP. We have our own server running Apache, PHP and MySQL dedicated to discussions.

There are three basic tables:

forums
threads
Each forum (ie FOG Chatter) has an ID (which is 416 for FOG Chatter). Each thread inside this forum has an ID and also hold the ID of the forum to which it belongs.

Each message has it's own ID and also holds the forum and thread to which it belongs. So when I click post on this message a new record will be added to the messages table with a threadid of 11997 and a forumid of 416

Obviously the actual part of discussions that you see is only about 25-30% of the system. The admin system which we use is far more complicated becuase you have to be able to edit messages, move messages, delete messages, monitor all the forums in one go, add forums, rename forums, set gameaday winners....the list goes on.

This system is very simple in principle, but once you start tying in registrations, usernames, taglines, banning users, updating passwords etc it becomes a whole lot more complicated.
Mon 21/05/01 at 18:47
what a mistake you will soon regret!
Mon 21/05/01 at 17:12
Regular
I bent my wookiee.
Mon 21/05/01 at 15:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
When I said, "But what a scripting language" I meant it's a really great scripting language, as opposed to "What's a scripting language?"
Mon 21/05/01 at 15:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
My cats breath smells of catfood
Mon 21/05/01 at 15:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
turbonutter wrote:
> But what a scripting language!

scripting language

(Or "glue language") A loose term for any language that is weakly typed or untyped and has little or no provision for complex data structures. A program in a scripting language (a "script") is often interpreted (but see Ousterhout's dichotomy).

Scripts typically interact either with other programs (often as glue) or with a set of functions provided by the interpreter, as with the file system functions provided in a UNIX shell and with Tcl's GUI functions. Prototypical scripting languages are AppleScript, C Shell, MSDOS batch files, and Tcl.
Mon 21/05/01 at 15:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
But what a scripting language!
Mon 21/05/01 at 14:39
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
turbonutter wrote:
> Just plain old PHP: The best language on the net!

Its only a scripting language man... calm down
Mon 21/05/01 at 14:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Just plain old PHP: The best language on the net!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.