GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XP SP2 is coiming whether you like it or not"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/02/05 at 22:29
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Microsoft To Force SP2 Update On All XP And XP SP1 Machines
Posted by Steven Parker on 22 Feb 2005 @ Neowin

April 12th is the very last day. That’s when the clock runs, and the deadline looms.

And here you thought it was April 15th. Nope, it’s the twelfth. Because we’re not talking about the day your taxes are due. On no. We’re talking about the day that your Windows XP or Windows XP SP1 computer will be automatically updated to XP SP2 (Service Pack 2) whether you want it to or not. Period.

Up until now users who did not want to accept the SP2 update had the option of temporarily blocking the update from being downloaded to their machines through the Automatic or Windows Update mechanisms, however that option expires on April 12th.

According to Microsoft’s latest alert on the issue, “The intent of this alert is to provide you with a reminder about the upcoming deadline around the date on which Automatic Update (AU) and Windows Update (WU) will deliver Windows XP SP2 regardless of the presence of the blocking mechanism.”
Sat 26/02/05 at 11:47
Regular
"\\"
I have it downloaded. I'm not installing it though... They can't MAKE me install it can they?

Ok. So now I apparantly don't have it downloaded... Could have sworn I did.
Fri 25/02/05 at 15:22
Regular
": ("
I tried downloading it and it said my product key for Windows was invalid...but it's not.
Fri 25/02/05 at 08:52
Regular
I already said this... [URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=119372&forumid=206[/URL]
Thu 24/02/05 at 22:37
Regular
Does this mean it will download itself or install itself?

Ive tried installing SP2 but once its done, it hangs on the bootup screens.

Its already downloaded, dont want it installing itself though.
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> Only problem is for those on 56k!;)

Microsoft provide a free CD for anyone who wishes not to download don't they?
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I think I'll avoid the internet that day ... and for a few days afterward!
Thu 24/02/05 at 22:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Lipe wrote:
> Got it when it came out and I've never looked back. I don't know where
> all of these "problems" for other people come from :/

Same here, got the Network Admins version before the domestic release and never had any issues with it but there are still those out there who seem to fear the SP2 update.

Only problem is for those on 56k!;)
Thu 24/02/05 at 22:33
Regular
Got it when it came out and I've never looked back. I don't know where all of these "problems" for other people come from :/
Thu 24/02/05 at 22:29
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Microsoft To Force SP2 Update On All XP And XP SP1 Machines
Posted by Steven Parker on 22 Feb 2005 @ Neowin

April 12th is the very last day. That’s when the clock runs, and the deadline looms.

And here you thought it was April 15th. Nope, it’s the twelfth. Because we’re not talking about the day your taxes are due. On no. We’re talking about the day that your Windows XP or Windows XP SP1 computer will be automatically updated to XP SP2 (Service Pack 2) whether you want it to or not. Period.

Up until now users who did not want to accept the SP2 update had the option of temporarily blocking the update from being downloaded to their machines through the Automatic or Windows Update mechanisms, however that option expires on April 12th.

According to Microsoft’s latest alert on the issue, “The intent of this alert is to provide you with a reminder about the upcoming deadline around the date on which Automatic Update (AU) and Windows Update (WU) will deliver Windows XP SP2 regardless of the presence of the blocking mechanism.”

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.