GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/02/05 at 17:19
Regular
I'm still trying to piece together a big story. Loads of ideas, but I'm having trouble structuring it.

Any sort of tips or stuff? Maybe I should just storyboard it on my wall and try and link it all together. Actually, that's quite a good idea.

Anyway, any other ideas? How about self-motivation? I need to hire someone to shout at me occasionally.
Tue 22/02/05 at 22:15
Regular
Usually I just try to write nonstop with the first things that pop into my head, see where it goes, and then edit later.
Tue 22/02/05 at 21:07
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I can't offer any worthwhile advice I'm afraid, as I literally make up each sentence at a time. I never have any clear idea of where a scene or a chapter is going. I like the idea of intuitive on-the-hoof writing.

As for motivation, I have set myself the goal of 1,000 words a week, which so far I have stuck to. I'm not one for planning, hence the book I'm working on seems to be a mishmash - a neverending mishmash.

When I'm blocked I edit/embellish.
Tue 22/02/05 at 20:52
"period drama"
No tips on motivation, though.
It's like trying to get out of bed when you've got nothing to do all day. You could just not bother, and no-one will know.

I haven't written anything in ages. Mostly because they SSCs keep me away from it - actually, no, that's just an excuse. It's pretty hard to jump right back into it when you haven't for a while, and I can't be bothered right now.
rargh
Tue 22/02/05 at 20:50
"period drama"
Aye, I had that problem. Still do, kinda.

What I did was to write out the whole big picture really briefly - just bullet points of the main happenings (man kills someone, man runs away, man become a monk).

And then get a bit more detail in there (man meets a nice guy, man and guy get gay, guy says man is crap, man kills guy ... etc)

And slowly build it up, then write each bullet point out in turn.

Actually, I didn't do that at all. But maybe you should.
I just wrote a whole load, and then put all the main points down by skimming through what I'd written - this was probably the most helpful in working stuff out. You don't get bogged down in the words themselves and can snip and rearrange stuff quite well.

I've also got a big list of names and places, but that's just so I had them all in one place, it's not very useful to me as a tool.

And don't be afraid to write out of sequence - if you're not getting anywhere with a scene, just skip it and write the next one, or the one after that, or the ending. It keeps you writing, which is the main thing.
Tue 22/02/05 at 20:47
Regular
My advice look for inspiration. Whatever happens that could go in Shall go in.
Tue 22/02/05 at 20:01
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
I'm in a similar situation, and I have to balance it with school and 101 clubs etc (and computer games, sadly).

I haven't solved this yet, but I thought of coming up with a sort of 'planner' or whatever. basically, if you have something up on your wall saying 'I will write from 6 to 7 monday night', it's a hell of a lot easier.

Anyway, yeah, you just have to keep at it in my opinion. I have pages of information about the world and characters (Tolkien approach), but the actual story hasn't progressed. Many pages are just single lines of scribbled spontaneous information such as; 'Name: Bobiknob' or whatever.

I was thinking of maybe floating a few paragraphs on the forum to judge people's reaction, but it'll be a while yet. The key is willpower, I think.

But I'm no expert.
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:22
Regular
I do recommend the Hof calender. Gotta love the leather.
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:21
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
If you wish to pay me I'll stand behind you and poke you with a stick every once in a while.

Get a picture of David Hasselhof and put it on your wall. If you get stuck, ask yourself, "what would The Hof do?"
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:18
Regular
Record yourself swearing, slow it down and play it whenever you need a slap.

As for my experience with trying to write something big and long and complex, giving up is a great option.

Sorry for being an unhelpful nob. :(
Tue 22/02/05 at 17:19
Regular
I'm still trying to piece together a big story. Loads of ideas, but I'm having trouble structuring it.

Any sort of tips or stuff? Maybe I should just storyboard it on my wall and try and link it all together. Actually, that's quite a good idea.

Anyway, any other ideas? How about self-motivation? I need to hire someone to shout at me occasionally.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.