GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who has completed HL2 then?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sun 21/11/04 at 21:48
Regular
Obvious spoilers in this thread.

Here's my short review: 10/10

As a comparison score, I'd give Halo 2 about...4/10

What are peoples' thoughts on the ending? Although I yearn to know exactly what is going on (past and present) I wasn't dissapointed that it gives pretty much nothing away. At the start I guessed Gordon had probably been kept in stasis since the end of the Black Mesa incident, and that was basically confirmed at the end.

Also it appears pretty clear that Freeman has been taken on as some kind of mercinary by G-Man, and it gives the impression that perhaps G-Man doesn't really serve a 'higher purpose', but rather is just in it for the money/power, seeing as how he mentions he has had several interesting offers for his services that he wouldn't normally consider.

After Half-Life I considered G-Man to be human, part of some kind of secret organisation (MIB anyone?), but now I think he probably is some form of alien. Although this is really only due to his speech, he's doesn't seem very comfortable/capable speaking English (could be foreign though).

Anyone else got any ideas?
Mon 22/11/04 at 00:19
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Whitestripes X wrote:
> Besides, remember the two endings from the original? Why offer you
> certain death if it means destroying his own existence in the
> process?

Possibly because he knew which choice Gordon would take, and choosing death would mean G-Man wouldn't exsist, which would cause a paradox. Though it should be made know, this is only a theory I've heard, not one I'd really believe in, it does seem a bit obvious though.

It is still possible G-Man could be gordon though, but not nessesarily from the future, possibly from another dimension. Though this is one hell of a wide shot, given that the parrallel universe theory doesn't have much proof to back itself up on, and is essentially just speculation.
Sun 21/11/04 at 23:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
Oooohhhh!

How I hate not being able to play H-L2 until Monday / Tuesday... Damn broken CPU...
Sun 21/11/04 at 23:07
Regular
I don't think G-Man is Gordon, it seems too obvious an idea.

Besides, remember the two endings from the original? Why offer you certain death if it means destroying his own existence in the process?

It also doesn't make any sense, why would Gordon need to come back to himself? It's not like G-Man actually ever helps you at all, and he must have gone through what you're going through now by himself anyway.

I suspect the naming of the two characters and the visual likeness was put in to deliberately to put people on the wrong track.

Some people think that Dr Breen was already working for his 'benefactors' before the Black Mesa incident, and it was set off on purpose, either by him or G-Man.

I think one things for sure, if Xen is the center of all teleporting, it must be of great military importance to anyone wishing to start a large scale war.
Sun 21/11/04 at 22:38
Regular
"A man with a stick"
eye'Aoe wrote:
> cipro wrote:
> As for t he whole G-Man thing, I’ve heard on other forums theory’s
> that he might actually be Gordon from the future, which would
> explain
> how he seems to appear in various locations you travel along
>
> Also thinking about that, Gordon Freeman.

Heh, didn't notice that.

Also, now that I remember, on the final section of the game as the Administrator tries to escape, he lets slip that he's going to teleport to another Universe. This could possibly mean that the Combine could actually be from a parrallel universe, perhaps themselve human, though I suspect that Earth and Xen aren't the only planets they've occupied.
Sun 21/11/04 at 22:31
Regular
"\\"
cipro wrote:
> As for t he whole G-Man thing, I’ve heard on other forums theory’s
> that he might actually be Gordon from the future, which would explain
> how he seems to appear in various locations you travel along

Also thinking about that, Gordon Freeman.

Heh.

*giggles*
Sun 21/11/04 at 22:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
My thoughts, I suspect that the Combine where in control of Xen much the same as they are in control of Earth. Xen was similar in that the Combine turned indigenous creatures into slaves to do it’s bidding, much like the Combine troops in City 17. The final section of Xen also pans out a little like the final section of the citadel, huge factory type complexes with soldiers and weapons being manufactured, it all seems to fit.

As for t he whole G-Man thing, I’ve heard on other forums theory’s that he might actually be Gordon from the future, which would explain how he seems to appear in various locations you travel along, it’s also substantiated by the fact that in one part of the game, you travel by a portal only to find it’s advanced you ahead one week, so time travel I think, does play it‘s part somewhere. Even if it isn’t Gordon, I still think there’s a good bet G-Man is from the future.

I suspect that whoever the G-Man works for, or was hired by, doesn’t quite like the Combine much, though quite what your purpose in City 17 was, has thus far eluded me. Destroying the Citadel wouldn’t really do much in the long run, the Combine defeated Earth in a matter of hours so I doubt it’s have any problems with a few badly armed, badly trained civilians. I suspect that the only reason you where sent there was to kill the administrator, but for what reason I think will be left until Half Life 3.

A bit of speculation there, and quite frankly I love it. The story was excellent, giving you enough information but leaving enough gaps to make you think, and wait with anticipation the inevitable final twists in Half Life 3.
Sun 21/11/04 at 22:25
Regular
"\\"
Also the old guy (I'm bad with names :P) at the end says something along the lines that Freeman doesn't do things for his friends, but for what the highest bidder pays... So Gman is just taking on a kind of Manager role, deciding what you do, yet taking ALL of the money instead of giving you your share... Slavery if you will.

I have no idea what happend in HL1... so erm yeah. I'll play through that eventually :P
Sun 21/11/04 at 21:48
Regular
Obvious spoilers in this thread.

Here's my short review: 10/10

As a comparison score, I'd give Halo 2 about...4/10

What are peoples' thoughts on the ending? Although I yearn to know exactly what is going on (past and present) I wasn't dissapointed that it gives pretty much nothing away. At the start I guessed Gordon had probably been kept in stasis since the end of the Black Mesa incident, and that was basically confirmed at the end.

Also it appears pretty clear that Freeman has been taken on as some kind of mercinary by G-Man, and it gives the impression that perhaps G-Man doesn't really serve a 'higher purpose', but rather is just in it for the money/power, seeing as how he mentions he has had several interesting offers for his services that he wouldn't normally consider.

After Half-Life I considered G-Man to be human, part of some kind of secret organisation (MIB anyone?), but now I think he probably is some form of alien. Although this is really only due to his speech, he's doesn't seem very comfortable/capable speaking English (could be foreign though).

Anyone else got any ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.