GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mobile Phone browsers?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/02/05 at 08:53
Regular
Anyone know much about the browser technology in mobile phones?

Looking for resources that will tell me about what kind of browsers current WAP enabled phones have compared to the first WAP phones and if there is likely to be a change.

Been googling but can't seem to find the right information.

Cheers if you can recommend (or provide) some info on this.
Mon 21/02/05 at 08:53
Regular
Anyone know much about the browser technology in mobile phones?

Looking for resources that will tell me about what kind of browsers current WAP enabled phones have compared to the first WAP phones and if there is likely to be a change.

Been googling but can't seem to find the right information.

Cheers if you can recommend (or provide) some info on this.
Mon 21/02/05 at 10:06
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Don't they RSS for mobile phones? Not sure, but I did see a phone that has HTML capabilities the other day. More like a PDA.
Mon 21/02/05 at 11:01
Regular
Most phones these days support WAP, HTML and XHTML. My phone (along with most other Series 60 phones) has an Opera browser installed :)
Mon 21/02/05 at 14:23
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
With the Opera browser any idea what file types it supports?
ie php, javascript etc
Mon 21/02/05 at 15:55
Regular
"NULL"
PHP is server-side and thus browser-independent.
Mon 21/02/05 at 16:58
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Doh, so it is. :0) Not thinking too well today, out of bed way too early.

Was just really after what the main differences are these days between the browsers on a PC and those on a mobile and the reasons why they have to be different.
Mon 21/02/05 at 17:11
Regular
"NULL"
The browser on a phone has to be able to display web sites on a very small screen using very little processing power.
Mon 21/02/05 at 19:30
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Excellent article for xplatform browsing and design methods:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pocket/

Opera on the Series 60 Platform is one of the most common browsers to date across Mobiles/PDA's, followed by IE and Netfront. Have done some work for phone browsing, mainly xplatform layout design using CSS @import based on target media.
Mon 21/02/05 at 19:33
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
AliBoy wrote:
> With the Opera browser any idea what file types it supports?
> ie php, javascript etc

Currently, Javascript is unrelaiable due to processing overheads, Flash is a no go and so is Shockwave. Obviously you only have x ammount of RAM/Processing & Power to deliver content to a mobile device and well as a smaller bandwidth so it's still "Old Skool" for mobile phones atm, even with 3G!
Mon 21/02/05 at 21:08
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thanks for the info Tyla

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.