GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Explain"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life'.
Tue 23/11/04 at 00:38
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The story of Half Life 1 please.

So I can fill the gaps.

Played it, just not properly.
Tue 23/11/04 at 14:15
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> *SPOILER*
>
> look at the notice board in Eli's lab, it kind of sums up what
> happened after Black Mesa, almost a revenge attack by the Combine who
> defeated earth and occupied it in a matter of hours.

*SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER*

My take on it.

The Black Mesa incident cauded ripples to expand outwards from the initial point, allowing the unintelligent Xen aliens to bridge the gap to Earth over the entire planet. The Intelligent Xen Aliens (vorti's) were provoked into acting by Earths earlier initial hostile recon missions to Xen.

(recon's -> Xen doesn't know how to fight back against human held portals
Black Mesa -> Large scale accident, portals open back to Earth
Ripples)

Difficult to control areas like the countryside and isolated areas make people come together for safety in large self contained and defendible city states (City 17 for example. City 14 is mentioned in HL2 too)

At some point in the recent past, the Combine citadels (tall building at start) teleport into the center of these cities and a flood of technologically advanced "aliens" (I think they are human / grey style alien hybrids, hence Combine) subdued the already weakened human people.

The contained cities make this easy to subdue any resistance.

They then proceed to implement a dysopian police state.

Here's the kicker.

The Xen aliens have been used indirectly by the combine FROM THE START. The Xen aliens have been manipulated to partake in a fight for the uses of the combine, who are NOT a species from Xen (hence the vorti slaves) and therefore we see the wilingness of the votris to fight with the resistance, of which Gordon, for whatever reason only known to the G-Man is "re-activated" after his time away (wherever). Gordon is obviously playing a major role in the first Human / Xen resistance attempt.

Supporting this is the combine use of shelling problem areas with headcrabs, instinct driven creatures, and then cleaning up the area afterwards. Places like Ravenholm exist as a "keep in line otherwise we'll do the same to you" measure. Keep the populace scared and placid.

Why the combine are supressing reproduction? Unknown.
Why invade and control Earth? Unknown.
What deal has the Administrator struck for Earths surrender in the "Seven Hour War"? Unknown?
Gordons role in all of this? Unknown, but you can bet the G-Man knows in HL3...

Probably TOTALLY wrong, but hey, the game doesn't give too much away and lets you think about possibilities.
Tue 23/11/04 at 13:28
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Cycloon wrote:
> The story of Half Life 1 please.
>
> So I can fill the gaps.
>
> Played it, just not properly.

This is why I'm waiting patiently for my collectors edition which includes source Halflife 1... :P
Tue 23/11/04 at 13:25
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Cycloon wrote:
> I'm guessing the alien combiney/headcrab things are from the accident
> in Black Mesa then...and they've taken over...?

The Combine didn't make an appearance in HL1, though it's made apparant in HL2 that where in control of Xen.

*SPOILER*

look at the notice board in Eli's lab, it kind of sums up what happened after Black Mesa, almost a revenge attack by the Combine who defeated earth and occupied it in a matter of hours.
Tue 23/11/04 at 13:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Excellent, thanks.

I'm guessing the alien combiney/headcrab things are from the accident in Black Mesa then...and they've taken over...?
Tue 23/11/04 at 08:49
Regular
Gordon goes to test lab, tests go wrong, place collapses and everything goes t*ts up.

You fight your way from the bottom of the lab to the surface whilst seeing the G-man pop up here and there doing his tie up.

Then everything clicks into place and it appears everything was meant to go wrong and you were meant to die.

You fight in some unbelievably good battles with Marine forces sent down to kill you.

You then get transported to another planet by the scientists in order to hit the Aliens where it hurts and kill then off once and for all.

You fight a fiend that's so 'mutha f**king ugly' so to speak and finally finish it off with a rocket to the brain.

G-Man then gives you the option, either work for him or die.

Then >> Half-Life 2.

Then G-Man tells everyone how much The Canals rock and how much CS: Source rocks.
Tue 23/11/04 at 08:46
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Resonance cascade accident at Black Mesa.
Freeman goes for help.
Soliders of unknown allegance try to clear up.
Loads of fun and games. Amazing set pieces. Levels get a little boxy near the end.
G-man almost supernatural ability to teleport around.
Freeman goes to Xen, the alien homeworld. The game involves a lot of frustrating jumping. Poor levels too.
Kills appalling end of game baddie.
G-man gives a choice "Work for me or fight wave after wave of alien grunts and eventually die"

(guess the ending that leads to HL2)

As you can probably see, there isn't much of a story. More in the second, but only just.

Speaking of which I love the ambigity of HL2. Your dropped in, clues exist as to what happend, but it's really just "Theres the game universe. Go play, we're not giving any help"

[edit] Theres a school of thought that the G-Man is Freeman in later life. (G)ordon Free(Man), which would explain his ability to be at locations Freeman is. I don't see it, becuase they don't look anything alike.
Tue 23/11/04 at 00:38
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The story of Half Life 1 please.

So I can fill the gaps.

Played it, just not properly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.