GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Booting From Slave?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/02/05 at 10:17
Regular
"Bicycle"
Righty.

Well, I'm a pretty impatient person, and one thing I absolutely hate is having to wait for my PC to boot up and / or shut down.

So I thought to myslef - "Why not use the old, smaller drive (empty, currently) to boot, but keep this one as it is. Maybe I could even delete the Windows XP partition..."

But is this possible? Would this slow down the transfer rate for the drive I'm using to boot now?

Would I have to change the old drive to master and the new one to slave?
Fri 18/02/05 at 23:29
Regular
"Bicycle"
Same.

Trying the "ultra-fast boot" in TweakXP. Hope it works... Ya never know.
Fri 18/02/05 at 23:21
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Defragging takes me about 10 minutes.
Fri 18/02/05 at 23:19
Regular
"Bicycle"
Work?

Work is for fools...

I work on my PC.
Fri 18/02/05 at 21:03
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Fri 18/02/05 at 15:13
Regular
Run, type msconfig, startup tab.
Fri 18/02/05 at 15:09
Regular
"Bicycle"
How would I find out?
Fri 18/02/05 at 14:46
Regular
Mine loads up within 30 seconds. How many startup processes do you have?
Fri 18/02/05 at 13:27
Regular
"Bicycle"
Have a SATA drive, 200GB, have 1GB of RAM.
Fri 18/02/05 at 13:18
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
I don’t think it is possible to boot from slave unless you make it a master, but then you are just defying the point of doing it. The only thing I can suggest if you want quicker boot up times is more ram, 1GB is perfect. A new faster Hard Drive would help, SATA ones are very cheap now.
Fri 18/02/05 at 10:17
Regular
"Bicycle"
Righty.

Well, I'm a pretty impatient person, and one thing I absolutely hate is having to wait for my PC to boot up and / or shut down.

So I thought to myslef - "Why not use the old, smaller drive (empty, currently) to boot, but keep this one as it is. Maybe I could even delete the Windows XP partition..."

But is this possible? Would this slow down the transfer rate for the drive I'm using to boot now?

Would I have to change the old drive to master and the new one to slave?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.