GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lock, stock soundtrack-good or bad?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/05/01 at 17:30
Regular
If you have never seen the movie "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels" then firstly you should be ashamed of yourself and secondly you should rush out to buy or rent a copy of this magnificent gangster film!

A general intro or re-introduction to this movie is needed I think as after all this is a soundtrack. Lock, stock was a really great film. It is based around the life of 4 young men who get into a bit of trouble with some people and the way that they somehow manage to escape this trouble. As it is a gangster movie it involves all the usual things such as foul language, guns, knifes, drugs and deaths. However what makes this film and the soundtrack amazingly good is that Lock stock is very funny and extremely memorable. It is these lasting memories of the film that will make you enjoy the soundtrack even more.

Looking at the songs on this album anyone can tell that it is very diverse ranging from the soft rock of ocean colour scene through the reggae bob marley style of police and thieves by Junior Murvin to the very catchy string instrument Zorba the Greek. So if first impressions stay forever than this album should be immortal! The soundtrack is not just composed of songs from the film however, it also contains extracts of the most memorable parts of the film dialogue such as the amusing exchange between Harry and the two northern thieves, Barry and Garry, "I don't wanna know who you use as long as they're not complete Muppets"
"Shotguns? What like guns that fire shots?"
"Oh you must be the brains then. That’s right guns that fire a shot".

The first track on the album is "Hundred mile high city" by Ocean Colour Scene. This is used in the film as the intro tune that tells you the who the characters are whilst they are selling stolen watches-if you've seen the film you'll know what I'm talking about. This is a really infectious tune that gets right inside your head and instantly reminds you of the film. It is a good song on its own but I wouldn't usually go out and buy music like this. This is a big advantage of any soundtrack and this one in particular as you are able to listen to music from many different genres without having to buy loads of albums.

The first excerpt of dialogue in the CD is the bit when nic the greek is trying some stolen goods from Tom. This is another brilliantly memorable part of the film but unfortunately due to the parental guidance label and Dooyoo's no swearing rule I cannot enlighten you as to the words-Oh well you'll just have to buy it-smile, think of it as a good investment!

Truly, madly deeply is another great track, by skanga? Don’t know, I'd never heard of them either. Unfortunately I am not able to link it to the film and have my suspicions as to whether it was even in it! Anyway, this is a nice track that adds to the overall feel of the album which is one of easy listening, not an album to get up and dance to but a good addition to anyone’s collection.

Another good part of the film script is included as well. Oh yeah I can't remind you of it. Its the part about the weed in case you were wondering. Now you may be thinking that this album is just an excuse to air some faintly humorous bad language. It is most definitely not!

"Police and thieves" by Junior Murvin makes a good change to the pace of the album so far as it chills it right down to a slow pace. When you are first listening to this album I can bet that you will skip this tune to get on to the other stuff that you can remember. You probably will end up listening to this in the end and will have to appreciate the quality of Murvins voice and the lyrics are quite good too. Overall this is a typically mind-chilling tune and I would like anyone to comment on whether Bob Marley did actually sing this at one point or another as it has been annoying me for ages as I can't find out.

A strange addition to this album is Robbie Williams, yes him the one on top of the pops all the time. Don't groan this is actually not a bad effort by him. I generally don't like Robbie's music except perhaps "Angels" but this is also good, although don't expect the lyrics to be up to much. It has a catchy tune though that changes nicely throughout the song.

As the album is in the chronological order of the film it enables you to vividly picture some of the scenes from the film just from listening to the music- wow music has such immense power don't you think? Two tunes that deserve special mention for connecting the music to the film are "I wanna be your Dog" by The Stooges and Zorba the Greek by John Murphy and David Hughes. I wanna be your dog is the music that accompanies the bit of the film where one of the lad loses all their money at a game of cards and is then sick. The guitar riff at the beginning is absolutely superb and the guitar and drums are the best things in this track. Unfortunately the words are a little bland and confusing and I feel that it may have been better to cut them out for this album as they did for the film.

Now to the best song on the album, Zorba the Greek. This tune is what made me buy the album and I think you'll agree that it must be quite a tune to warrant £15.99. The tune is played using some kind of string instrument, clapping and a synthesiser I think? It is very fast once it gets going and is best played REALLY LOUD! It is truly an excellent tune and to see if I can remind you of it, it is played in the film when Rory Breaker and the black guys have a shootout with another group of men and everybody except Rory is killed.

So good soundtrack or bad? Good film or not? I know what I think!
Thu 24/05/01 at 21:12
No one's replied to you either aww, well I think it's a superb film and a great soundtrack, although I'm not overkeen on an overload of violence in films, but hey you won something - take a look well done! Good interesting!
Sat 19/05/01 at 17:30
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
If you have never seen the movie "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels" then firstly you should be ashamed of yourself and secondly you should rush out to buy or rent a copy of this magnificent gangster film!

A general intro or re-introduction to this movie is needed I think as after all this is a soundtrack. Lock, stock was a really great film. It is based around the life of 4 young men who get into a bit of trouble with some people and the way that they somehow manage to escape this trouble. As it is a gangster movie it involves all the usual things such as foul language, guns, knifes, drugs and deaths. However what makes this film and the soundtrack amazingly good is that Lock stock is very funny and extremely memorable. It is these lasting memories of the film that will make you enjoy the soundtrack even more.

Looking at the songs on this album anyone can tell that it is very diverse ranging from the soft rock of ocean colour scene through the reggae bob marley style of police and thieves by Junior Murvin to the very catchy string instrument Zorba the Greek. So if first impressions stay forever than this album should be immortal! The soundtrack is not just composed of songs from the film however, it also contains extracts of the most memorable parts of the film dialogue such as the amusing exchange between Harry and the two northern thieves, Barry and Garry, "I don't wanna know who you use as long as they're not complete Muppets"
"Shotguns? What like guns that fire shots?"
"Oh you must be the brains then. That’s right guns that fire a shot".

The first track on the album is "Hundred mile high city" by Ocean Colour Scene. This is used in the film as the intro tune that tells you the who the characters are whilst they are selling stolen watches-if you've seen the film you'll know what I'm talking about. This is a really infectious tune that gets right inside your head and instantly reminds you of the film. It is a good song on its own but I wouldn't usually go out and buy music like this. This is a big advantage of any soundtrack and this one in particular as you are able to listen to music from many different genres without having to buy loads of albums.

The first excerpt of dialogue in the CD is the bit when nic the greek is trying some stolen goods from Tom. This is another brilliantly memorable part of the film but unfortunately due to the parental guidance label and Dooyoo's no swearing rule I cannot enlighten you as to the words-Oh well you'll just have to buy it-smile, think of it as a good investment!

Truly, madly deeply is another great track, by skanga? Don’t know, I'd never heard of them either. Unfortunately I am not able to link it to the film and have my suspicions as to whether it was even in it! Anyway, this is a nice track that adds to the overall feel of the album which is one of easy listening, not an album to get up and dance to but a good addition to anyone’s collection.

Another good part of the film script is included as well. Oh yeah I can't remind you of it. Its the part about the weed in case you were wondering. Now you may be thinking that this album is just an excuse to air some faintly humorous bad language. It is most definitely not!

"Police and thieves" by Junior Murvin makes a good change to the pace of the album so far as it chills it right down to a slow pace. When you are first listening to this album I can bet that you will skip this tune to get on to the other stuff that you can remember. You probably will end up listening to this in the end and will have to appreciate the quality of Murvins voice and the lyrics are quite good too. Overall this is a typically mind-chilling tune and I would like anyone to comment on whether Bob Marley did actually sing this at one point or another as it has been annoying me for ages as I can't find out.

A strange addition to this album is Robbie Williams, yes him the one on top of the pops all the time. Don't groan this is actually not a bad effort by him. I generally don't like Robbie's music except perhaps "Angels" but this is also good, although don't expect the lyrics to be up to much. It has a catchy tune though that changes nicely throughout the song.

As the album is in the chronological order of the film it enables you to vividly picture some of the scenes from the film just from listening to the music- wow music has such immense power don't you think? Two tunes that deserve special mention for connecting the music to the film are "I wanna be your Dog" by The Stooges and Zorba the Greek by John Murphy and David Hughes. I wanna be your dog is the music that accompanies the bit of the film where one of the lad loses all their money at a game of cards and is then sick. The guitar riff at the beginning is absolutely superb and the guitar and drums are the best things in this track. Unfortunately the words are a little bland and confusing and I feel that it may have been better to cut them out for this album as they did for the film.

Now to the best song on the album, Zorba the Greek. This tune is what made me buy the album and I think you'll agree that it must be quite a tune to warrant £15.99. The tune is played using some kind of string instrument, clapping and a synthesiser I think? It is very fast once it gets going and is best played REALLY LOUD! It is truly an excellent tune and to see if I can remind you of it, it is played in the film when Rory Breaker and the black guys have a shootout with another group of men and everybody except Rory is killed.

So good soundtrack or bad? Good film or not? I know what I think!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.