GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WW1"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/11/06 at 16:59
Regular
"I may return"
I thought it'd be a good idea to post this here because it's an essay from school.

The First World War Was Glamourised In Order To Recruit

It is a well known fact that propaganda was used to increase the number of enrollments for the Great War. Many of the victims, of the unnecessary lies, fought and died , which caused a spreading upset amongst many families, it also caused a population decrease, due to the fact that a big percentage of soldiers failed to survive.

Posters played a big part in the recruitment, as they were very persuasive, even though many containded little or no words. A specific poster was one by Fred Spear, which is a picture of a woman clutching on to her baby, while they drown, but the only word displayed on the poster was 'Enlist'. The reason this was so effective was because in May, 1915, the British liner Lusitania was sunk by s German U-boat off the Irish coast and 2000 people, including many children and women, were drowned. Which is why the poster was probably the most noteable.

Another way of getting young men to join, was through poetry. There were many war time poets, the most out-standing ones being female, such as Jessie Pope with her poem 'Who's For The Game?'. The poems were minly just calling men, who didn't enroll, cowards, for example a linee from 'Who's For The Game?':
"Who would much rather come back with a crutch,
than lie low and be out of the fun?"
She is basically telling men that it'd be better to fight and get hurt than just staying at home and missing out on the "fun". Poems were no longer persuading men after Wilfred Owen, a returning soldier, wrote a poem, called 'Dulce et Decorum', which is actually what the war was really like.

In the novel 'Private Peaceful' propaganda, in WW1, is expressed when a character, called Tommo, goes into the town and sees a parade saluting the war. After he glorious things, from a Sergant Major, about how great it is to be a hero, because the ladies love a soldier, Tommo is persuaded to enlist because an old lady starts tuanting him, so that he feels cowardly about not fighting.

So, as you can see, the first world war was hugely dramatised just so that they can get men too fight, even though many knew there was little chance of surviving. My personal thoughts are that the war shouldn't have been made out to great when it wasn't (propaganda) because men who truly wanted to fight for there country would have naturally joined without needing to be persauded.

So do you think that propaganda was a good thing for WW1 or not?
Thu 11/01/07 at 17:50
Regular
"I may return"
Err... It was a school project...
Thu 11/01/07 at 17:39
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I concur... plus I'm going to be studying for a joint honours degree in History and Politics in the next academic year, I'm inclined to agree that it has some use afterwards... at least I hope so!
Thu 11/01/07 at 17:34
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Why did you write that about an historical process then?

People confuse why others do history; they automatically assume everything must have a practical purpose (wrong) and/or they falsely presume that history has no point. Quite the contrary.
Mon 18/12/06 at 16:37
Regular
"I may return"
SHEEPY wrote:
> P.S I'm in Senior Honours of History you cheeky
> whippersnappers.
> I did a course on WW1 too so ner ner ner

Dude, why waste time on things that have happened and you don't exactly need to know how we got to where we are, why not live for the future instead?
Mon 18/12/06 at 00:03
Regular
"Excommunicated"
The Germans ate babies you know
Fri 15/12/06 at 18:17
Regular
"I may return"
Err, good point =D
Fri 15/12/06 at 18:02
Regular
"sh"
Go to war, it is the GENTLEMANLY thing to do!
Walk over the top! Do not run or crawl. The Hun will be DEAD!
It is in a foriegn country. HOLIDAY.
Wed 13/12/06 at 11:44
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Sheeps got to flex his age card yay!

Was Propaganda a 'good' thing? Well, no, but....

Why am i even here?!
Wed 13/12/06 at 11:20
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
SHEEPY wrote:
> P.S I'm in Senior Honours of History you cheeky whippersnappers.
> I did a course on WW1 too so ner ner ner

Fair enough, I admit to quite some degree of ignorance compared to you, in addition to it being a few years since I studied this!
Tue 12/12/06 at 21:40
Regular
"I may return"
Whatever! I told ya I don't care :P

You win!!!

Unless Matt wants to argue?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.