GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please tell me they are joking."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/02/05 at 23:08
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
[URL]http://www.megagames.com/news/html/hardware/cellvsintelround1.shtml[/URL]
I made a post a while back stating that "is it worth doing a new computer revamp with the cell chip on the horizon. I was simple told go ahead cause it wont be compatible with PC’s because of the architecture difference. I have just found this webpage and it seems very interesting and very worrying for most PC owners.
Here are some of the main points.

According to the Cell consortium, the new chips will be made up of 64-bit processors (each with 2.5 MB of memory) and should debut at 4GHz speeds.

Cell will also carry a greater number of transistors compared to current Intel chips with the triumvirate announcing 234 million compared to the 125 million carried by the latest Pentium 4 CPUs.

According to its creators the main advantage of Cell architecture is its flexibility. Jim Kahle, an IBM fellow said, We support many operating systems with our virtualization technology so we can run multiple operating systems at the same time, doing different jobs on the system.

IBM declined to confirm which Operating Systems, other than Linux, have been tested on Cell.

If Playstation3 ends up having 4 Cell processors, as has been rumoured, the console will end up being officially classified, with today's standards, as a super computer.

Now if I have not misunderstood the cell may be used in computers, and if the ps3 has 4 cell chips, should that make it around 16ghz?
Wed 09/02/05 at 23:08
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
[URL]http://www.megagames.com/news/html/hardware/cellvsintelround1.shtml[/URL]
I made a post a while back stating that "is it worth doing a new computer revamp with the cell chip on the horizon. I was simple told go ahead cause it wont be compatible with PC’s because of the architecture difference. I have just found this webpage and it seems very interesting and very worrying for most PC owners.
Here are some of the main points.

According to the Cell consortium, the new chips will be made up of 64-bit processors (each with 2.5 MB of memory) and should debut at 4GHz speeds.

Cell will also carry a greater number of transistors compared to current Intel chips with the triumvirate announcing 234 million compared to the 125 million carried by the latest Pentium 4 CPUs.

According to its creators the main advantage of Cell architecture is its flexibility. Jim Kahle, an IBM fellow said, We support many operating systems with our virtualization technology so we can run multiple operating systems at the same time, doing different jobs on the system.

IBM declined to confirm which Operating Systems, other than Linux, have been tested on Cell.

If Playstation3 ends up having 4 Cell processors, as has been rumoured, the console will end up being officially classified, with today's standards, as a super computer.

Now if I have not misunderstood the cell may be used in computers, and if the ps3 has 4 cell chips, should that make it around 16ghz?
Wed 09/02/05 at 23:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
But will it run Pac-Man?
Wed 09/02/05 at 23:56
Regular
"NULL"
I found a similar thing here: [URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4242447.stm[/URL]
Thu 10/02/05 at 00:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Read through the full presentation from the ISCC or whatever it was called, some really heavy stuff which was a tad over my head but from what I understand the Cell is OS independent and will run anything thrown at it from Linux to OSX to Windows.

Oddly enough, the current PS2 architecture is based on Linux and therefore it's obvious that the CELL would have been tested on this already.

It;s an exciting time for processers with the advent of the Cell (ignoring the generated hype over the PS3). True scaleable grid computing is almost impossible to comrehend.

One thing I don't understand is why the PS3 would require 4 of them. The whole nature of the Cell would mean a single chip is all thats needed as any further processing power required would be borrowed from another Cell in the area/network.

4.06Ghz is impressive, and that's just the test Cell, roumor has it that the final chip could run closer to 5Ghz (They're still a year behind in development). Add this to 2.5MB on board memory and 200+million transistors, this truly rocks. Only shocking announcement was the running temp of 85degC!!
Thu 10/02/05 at 00:10
Regular
monkey_man wrote:
> But will it run Pac-Man?

Ahahah
Thu 10/02/05 at 00:25
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
monkey_man wrote:
> But will it run Pac-Man?

Possibly PONG, not sure about Pac-Man though!;)
Thu 10/02/05 at 02:17
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
poopots wrote:
> I made a post a while back stating that "is it worth doing a new
> computer revamp with the cell chip on the horizon. I was simple told
> go ahead cause it wont be compatible with PC’s because of the
> architecture difference. I have just found this webpage and it seems
> very interesting and very worrying for most PC owners.

What is worrying about it? Theres a new chip about so what. Even if it is architecture independent and can emulate x86 so you could run windows without a special version of it, you still wouldn't get any great performance increase out of an average PC unless the rest of PC architecture gets a serious upgrade in the meantime too. Also I would point out that Intel and AMD are developing their own multicore processors, so expect them to be boasting vast performance increases sooner or later.
Either way, CELL is 1+ year plus away from the mainstream market I bet, and presumably its first destination will be the PS3. Its a huge jump at this point to tell if its going to end up in desktop PCs as a rival to Intel/AMD.
Thu 10/02/05 at 06:34
Regular
Nobody has confirmed it has been tested with Windows yet. Although it should have no problems doing so, it hasn't officially been anounced to work on it.

I wouldn't get too worried - I'd imagine the price will be rather expensive when it's launched. Think about the fact that you'll also have to get a new mobo and RAM too...

I'd reckon this wil be ideal for your next upgrade if all goes well.
Thu 10/02/05 at 09:27
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I read an article in the Financial Times on monday about this, sounded pretty impressive.
Thu 10/02/05 at 09:49
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Garin wrote:
> Either way, CELL is 1+ year plus away from the mainstream market I
> bet, and presumably its first destination will be the PS3. Its a
> huge jump at this point to tell if its going to end up in desktop PCs
> as a rival to Intel/AMD.

It will be installed in graphic workstations bu the end of this year with installation into TVs (why? I dont know) buy various firms towards the end of ths year, specifically the HDTV sector.

There's too much focus on the influence the PS3 will have on this as at the end of the day, it's just a sure way to gurantee huge penetration of a new technology in such a short time. If as successful as the PS1/2, that's a potential 20 million units in 5 years!

People need to stand back and forget the PS3 conection. This chip was designed as the next step in processor evolution (Just as the G5/powerPC chip changed the world of Apple). The original idea was for GFX wokstations so that as well as pulling off unbeleivable processing, it's could grid with other Cells and increase the power

Iirc, The Star War DVD's took a warehouse of G5 Macs a frame per day to clean and tidy the original film strips before going to DVD and thats using the most powerful processor available today. Imaging the impact something like Cell would have!

Also, Apart from ILM & Pixar, Sony own the third largest movie graphics firm on the planet, so again, it's in SOny's interest to explore new technologies. The PS2 originally decended from workstations at Sony's studio!

THis is a totally different breed of processor from anything AMD, Intel, IBM have ever seen or created before. It's been a long time coming, but hopefully it'll deliver and we'll become onestep closer to the types of computing you see in things like Star Trek Voyager/Babylon5

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.