GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HL2 tactic question - spoilers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Thu 25/11/04 at 13:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Right, Nova Prospekt.
You have to set up 3 turrets and fight off wave after wave after wave of soldiers.

How the #@*& do you right the turrets when they invariably get blown up by grenades/soldiers hitting them/whirly blades and fall to the floor????

I get "Set up your turrets", run to a fallen one only to either grab it with Use-key and frantically try to whirl round in circle until it somehow sometimes magically rights itself, or use the grav-gun which seems to only pick it up on it's side and set it back down on it's side.
All the while I'm getting blown up/shot/sliced.
Getting very very angry with throwing myself at this section now time after time trying to get those turrets to stand back up in the few mini-seconds you get before more death reigns.

And it's a simple question, it doesn't need to usual SR smugtwat reply of "Well I did it 1st time", that only marks you as a tool and a virgin geek.
Fri 26/11/04 at 22:09
Regular
"I'm busy"
yup, that level annoyed me too.

Just take the turrets out, set them in the corridor where you are, move into the cage you took the turret out from and just shoot the guys when they come past you, it's quite easy, and you can reset the turrets with the anti grav gun, and just nip opposite for the health and armor machines.

if you do run out of ammo, you can either pick up the dead guys, or just pick up a turret and walk around with it, it will automatically shoot guards, and is quite good in the later levels as you can hold it higher than you, or just poke it around corners and it automatically shoots them.

I like to think of this not as a cheat, just intelligent ammo preservation
Fri 26/11/04 at 16:48
Regular
Started playing this, then my computer went even further breasts topwise, so starting to play it again tonight. I swear it's just Microsoft Hoverbike Sim 2005.

I'd just got to the mines too, past the gun-toting priest.
Thu 25/11/04 at 17:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Cheers lads, much appreciated pointing out my own dumbassedness.
I always, always do this.
AI advances so squads move realisitically etc etc, yet it's always the same run-and-gun Goatboy not thinking.

Let's see now - you have a corridor.
From one end of the corridor comes lots and lots of soldiers, from the other end comes the occasional one.
So, the obvious thing is to set up 1 turret facing the busy end and 2 pointing down the quiet end...what an asshat.
And following Cipro's advice mainly, I waltzed through not shooting my own weapon once.
The last turret-defence bit was nice and easy compared to that section of needlessly throwing myself at it instead of thinking "Busy end = 2 turrets".

Now in City 17 clearing hotels room by room with a squad.
Excellent game.
Thu 25/11/04 at 15:45
Regular
I got stuck here for ages too.

In the end I did it by clustering the turrets back to back in the chamber in the middle where the box of unlimited ammo is, have two facing once opening and then you face the other opening with the remaning turret.

I did it on my second attempt using this method. If they throw a grenade you can use the grav gun to chuck it back out, apart from that just make sure you take out the guys with shotguns quickly.

Having the turrets back to back helps to stop them falling over as well.
Thu 25/11/04 at 15:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> I'm
> sometimes a bit "vocal" when I get annoyed by irrirating
> parts of games..........
---

Ditto.
Thankfully finishing work at 11am means I get all day to shout obscenities and scream like an infant with no fear of stomping downstairs for a fag, only to find family members standing still and looking at each other nervously.
Thu 25/11/04 at 15:28
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
cipro wrote:
> Got to the other end of the corridor, set up one turret to face this
> area as not as many soldiers pile through. Set the other two just
> behind facing the other direction. Choose the grav gun, sit back and
> wait for the onslaught. Now just leave the turrets to do their thing,
> and use the grav gun to pick up any hand grenades and manhacks, and
> quickly throw them back at the enemy.
---

The other end being the one furthest from the locker where you get the turrets from?
I've tried setting them in the locker room, putting them outside etc back to back.
It just felt like 1 grenade would smash them all over and I couldn't pick them up again quick enough - just got mowed down.
Thu 25/11/04 at 14:19
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> ...there was a hole in the wall?...I just ran around a metal
> container cursing the antlions for getting in my way until somehow I
> managed to kill them.
> Ah well.
>
> This section has infuriated me beyond belief, I've turned it off for
> a bit to save my vocal chords/blood pressure.

I dunno if it appears after you down the pair, but I didn't want to reload to check. I'm not looking forward to tonight now. I'm sometimes a bit "vocal" when I get annoyed by irrirating parts of games..........
Thu 25/11/04 at 14:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Took me a while, but figured out a way that had me slapping my forehead with my hand saying "Why the bloody hell didn't I think of that before I got stuck in this die - Quickload routine."

Got to the other end of the corridor, set up one turret to face this area as not as many soldiers pile through. Set the other two just behind facing the other direction. Choose the grav gun, sit back and wait for the onslaught. Now just leave the turrets to do their thing, and use the grav gun to pick up any hand grenades and manhacks, and quickly throw them back at the enemy. Don't bother trying to shoot anyone, I can't tell you how much ammo I wasted doing that.

There's another bit where you have to set up turrets after that, thankfully it's much easier.
Thu 25/11/04 at 14:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Ass. I hate sections like that. It took me nigh on 1/2 on hour (on
> hard) to take out the two gunships at the start of Nova Prospekt. I
> went around the corner and realised there was a hole in the wall.
> DOH!
----

...there was a hole in the wall?...I just ran around a metal container cursing the antlions for getting in my way until somehow I managed to kill them.
Ah well.

This section has infuriated me beyond belief, I've turned it off for a bit to save my vocal chords/blood pressure.
Thu 25/11/04 at 14:13
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> And once they go down, it's nigh impossible to get them upright again
> before you get swarmed.
> Start/die/reload/start/die/reload/repeat

Ass. I hate sections like that. It took me nigh on 1/2 on hour (on hard) to take out the two gunships at the start of Nova Prospekt. I went around the corner and realised there was a hole in the wall. DOH!

Must admit, I'd like to see a "rotate left / right" functioon for objects in the grav beam. Alignment of the pallets and stuff for the sandtraps section drove me mental.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.