GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problems with new PC crashing/no signal"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/02/05 at 23:25
"Uzi Lover"
I recently recieved a new PC, my friend did also. We both bought from the same company pretty much the same PC. He is having problems with his PC and is unable to write this as he is getting no monitor signal. Therefore, being unable to use his new PC.

My friend had the PC for around a week before problems occured. Up to that time there was no problems, though he wasn't really running many high performance programs.

Things started going wrong after a new graphics card was installed, that being a BFG 6600 GT. It has sufficent power as an external power source was plugged in. After installing a few games it was running fine for a while. however, a few days later the PC would suddenly crash and restart after running certain games for a short period of time. Re-installing these games seemed to fix the problem.

From that time on it would crash and restart randomly during games and once during a video file.

After it restarted another time, my friend decided to enter the Power Management screen to do with a VGA mode, he changed it from 'Suspended' to 'Disabled'. Ever since this time whenever the PC starts up it does not beep at all and the monitor has no signal. Therefore, he cannot do anything on his PC. Even change the option he changed before this problem occured.

What are the steps needed to be taken to solve the no signal on the monitor and the crashing of the PC? What could be the problem here?
Fri 04/02/05 at 23:25
"Uzi Lover"
I recently recieved a new PC, my friend did also. We both bought from the same company pretty much the same PC. He is having problems with his PC and is unable to write this as he is getting no monitor signal. Therefore, being unable to use his new PC.

My friend had the PC for around a week before problems occured. Up to that time there was no problems, though he wasn't really running many high performance programs.

Things started going wrong after a new graphics card was installed, that being a BFG 6600 GT. It has sufficent power as an external power source was plugged in. After installing a few games it was running fine for a while. however, a few days later the PC would suddenly crash and restart after running certain games for a short period of time. Re-installing these games seemed to fix the problem.

From that time on it would crash and restart randomly during games and once during a video file.

After it restarted another time, my friend decided to enter the Power Management screen to do with a VGA mode, he changed it from 'Suspended' to 'Disabled'. Ever since this time whenever the PC starts up it does not beep at all and the monitor has no signal. Therefore, he cannot do anything on his PC. Even change the option he changed before this problem occured.

What are the steps needed to be taken to solve the no signal on the monitor and the crashing of the PC? What could be the problem here?
Fri 04/02/05 at 23:54
Regular
Sounds to me like he may need to reset the cmos. There is usually a jumper setting on the motherboard to do this. You'll probably need the motherboard manual to help you.
Sat 05/02/05 at 00:00
Regular
That depends on where he bought his machine from.. some of them don't come with motherboard manuals.
Sat 05/02/05 at 12:35
"Uzi Lover"
Thanks, we re-set the CMOS battery and the PC now loads up fine. Funny because my friend did meantion something about reseting the CMOS before this.

The crashing and restarting thing though, not sure if that is happening still. That will remain to be seen with longer spells of use. One thing which happens with his which doesn't happen on mine which could hold a clue is with a set of 'beeps' on startup.

When the XP log in screen appears there is a single beep, then a pause, then a single louder beep. Anyone know what could be causing that?
Sat 05/02/05 at 13:09
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Beeps usually indicate hardware issues- if you have the manual for the motherboard, then it will tell you in there.
Sat 05/02/05 at 18:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
My computer would randomly restart, particularly in games, an updated BIOS flash done the trick.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.