GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where can I buy ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/02/05 at 21:08
Regular
"Twenty quid."
... an ordering system for a website?

A friend of mine wants me to build him a site for the "things" he wants to sell and he wants it to have the whole "Add to basket" and "Proceed to checkout" affair that you get on most online stores. The trouble is, I know very little about PHP and zilch about databases and SQL.

I can install stuff and set stuff up, e.g. Movable Type, so is there anywhere I can buy and install something to take care of it for me?
Thu 03/02/05 at 18:10
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Thanks for the replies. Not too sure what the budget is - I was just doing some research.

*puts on research hat*
Thu 03/02/05 at 09:35
Regular
Timmargh wrote:
> ... an ordering system for a website?

In my experience the cart/shop software is the easy bit! Say you had your shop all up and running and someone clicks checkout - that's where the minefield starts.

I have some clients with Merchant Accounts that are able to process Credit Cards through there own terminal (after capturing the details through an SSL certificate etc.) this works great. BUT if they haven't got a Merchant Account that allows 'offline processing' then you need a PSP (payment service provider) or use a bureau (WorldPay etc.) - both of which start costing £100's without taking the website integration costs in to consideration. If the site might be making very low sale volumes initially then this is enough to put most people off.

I've started a PayPal thread asking for tips, as they are free, but rather naff I know.

My advice would be to investigate the payment processing issues before spending too much time on the shop - It's a mistake I've previously made!

Good Luck - if you come up with anything interesting please let us know...
Wed 02/02/05 at 22:09
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Actinic do some very good solutions. Used them before for various projects
Wed 02/02/05 at 21:49
Regular
OSCommerce I've used before, it's pretty alright to set up, very powerful.

Oh, and free.
Wed 02/02/05 at 21:27
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Timmargh wrote:
> I can install stuff and set stuff up, e.g. Movable Type, so is there
> anywhere I can buy and install something to take care of it for me?

Thats a bit vague, whats your budget? Take a look here, http://www.protx.com/products/carts.asp also some of the online payment systems offer shopping carts as well, eg paypal. Or if you're willing to get a bit technical could also look at http://www.oscommerce.org/
Wed 02/02/05 at 21:11
Regular
"Bicycle"
Get Fantastico (a cPanel add-on).

They have some egora (or something) shopping cart system.
Wed 02/02/05 at 21:08
Regular
"Twenty quid."
... an ordering system for a website?

A friend of mine wants me to build him a site for the "things" he wants to sell and he wants it to have the whole "Add to basket" and "Proceed to checkout" affair that you get on most online stores. The trouble is, I know very little about PHP and zilch about databases and SQL.

I can install stuff and set stuff up, e.g. Movable Type, so is there anywhere I can buy and install something to take care of it for me?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.